Nightmare away trip stories

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mates coach broke down on the way back from qpr play off in 2003.

I was on the same coach. :ranting:

I remember my dad taking me to The City Ground to watch Forest play Spurs back in the mid-nineties. Proper treat for me to see Spurs back then. :unsure: However it snowed like mad, was called off and we had a nightmare trip back home in the snow through Holmfirth etc (though to me it was all very exciting).

Seem to recollect that the train back from Wembley (Second time) broke down resulting in a long delay back home

What could have been a great day turned out to be :censored:e

I remember being on that train, we had to wait ages to get on and there were all these glum faces and this one pissed up bloke walks up the carriage yelling "DON'T WORRY LADS WE'LL GET 'EM ON WEDNESDAY", I was only 8 but it has stuck with me for a very long time, I wonder where he is now

Best one I have read about was back in 1987, word for word:- Latics fans endured a nightmare trip to Portsmouth for a 3-0 defeat on 11th April 1987...

"This week's Latics action (there are a few photos that I may scan in given the chance) features the supporters who endured a marathon 24 hour trip to Portsmouth game the other weekend on one of the club's Executive coaches.

The day started badly enough when the executive double deck coach taking 74 supporters to Portsmouth arrived at Boundary Park 1 1/2 hours late on the Saturday morning. However, although cold and wet after standing around for nearly 2 hours, the supporters were delighted when they got onto the coach and saw eight colour TVs , tea, coffee, stereo music etc, and said it had been worth waiting for.

The driver made excellent time on the journey down and we arrived at Portsmouth in time for the kick off. Unfortunately the team did not play to the strandard we know it is capable of and thanks to two very dubious penalty decisions the lads lost 3-0.

The return journey to Oldham started at 5.30pm and after travelling for just over an hour the double deck coach broke down on the A34 near Newbury. Fortunately just down the road over a grass verge and a five foot fence was a country pub, where the landlord agreed to let the weary travellers take liquid refreshment and rest for an hour or so.

Unfortunately the hour or so turned into 8 1/2 hours as it was not until 2.15am on the Sunday morning that two coaches arrived to take us to Hilton Park Services on the M6 where we all transferred to two more coaches that arrived back in Oldham at 6.30am in the morning, almost 24 hours after the supporters first left home..."

Don't know where you found that report Prozac.....but it's defintely almost word for word correct. The pub was a bit further away than you might imagine though. I was part of the reconnaisance party that discovered it! If anyone has the pics, i'd be delighted to see them. They were published in a home programme shortly after said event.

10th of January 2004 is a day that will be forever embedded in my memory.

Brighton away and the last time I ever went on official club transport.

Approximately 9pm on the way home Barlows fan belt bust on the M6 about a mile from Hilton Park Services. Managed to limp the coach into Hilton Park, which proved to be a terrible mistake.

About an hour after getting there the shops shut and we all remained sat in the cafe waiting for the AA. It was at this point that a coach full of City fans arrived on their way back from Portsmouth (I later found out that a couple of my mates were in fact on this City coach), one City fan got off and staggered into the services as the coach drove off.

From the safety of the cafe this City fan was funny to watch as he fell over at least twice before getting to the door of the services so bladdered was he. As he entered the services however it became quite apparent why he'd been left, the smell of faeces was unbearable! That's right, so bladdered he had shat himself and been chucked off his coach!!!

Spotting a group of football fans however, he decided to attempt to come over and make small talk with a number of people off our coach, I've never seen 60 year old women scarper as fast (my gran included!!)

Over the course of what felt like a number of hours this individual kept leaving the services and then coming back accompanied by a police car, as he kept attempting to walk up the hard shoulder of the M6, the police however wouldn't put him in their car so kept making him walk back!!

Eventually sometime around midnight he disappeared into the night, never to be seen again, the smell in the services however remained until we left on a replacement coach at about 2:30am! Returning back to Boundary Park at 4am!!

All after a horrendously boring 0-0 too!!

Don't know where you found that report Prozac.....but it's defintely almost word for word correct. The pub was a bit further away than you might imagine though. I was part of the reconnaisance party that discovered it! If anyone has the pics, i'd be delighted to see them. They were published in a home programme shortly after said event.

I copied that out of Grimsby Town programme from April 21at 1987 - I'll scan the whole thing in when I get chance...

I copied that out of Grimsby Town programme from April 21at 1987 - I'll scan the whole thing in when I get chance...

Got the Barlow's coach to Donny in September 2004, had a seat to myself near the front, "Result", I thought... then big Geoff got on, luckily he sat next to the guy nehind me who's words were 'Yer, feckin' jokin, as big Geoff got comfortable and proceeding to crush the guy up against the window....

istockphoto_1799427-squashed.jpg

After the game I have never seen people scarper so quickly to get back onto the coach before Geoff....

A few spring to mind.

Southend mid nineties on Stuarts (Wallerways) Coaches. Just outside Grantham the young driver, who was on his first outing ran right through the back of a Vauxhall Cavalier on the A1. One minute I was stood at the back of the coach teasing Chub, the next I was crumpled over the gearstick (Should've at least put a whiplash claim in!). We missed half an hour of the game, but more importantly we missed two and a half hours of pre-match boozing.

A 5 hour drive in thick fog from Ipswich one tuesday night late nineties.

Getting on the wrong bus back from Maine Rd after playing Northwich Vics there in 77(?) and only realising when the bus pulled into Stockport bus station.

Standing 30 feet from the collapsing wall at Heysel during the European cup final in 1985 and hearing the screams of Juventus fans being crushed to death.

The mother of all hangovers in Exeter one Wednesday morning after a night match in the early 90s. Woke up in a pokey room above a pub with Larry Smith singing 'Oh what a beautiful morning', Quent Cartwright lying naked on the bed next to me, and Dave Aspinall pissing into a box in the corner (Those acquainted with said persons would understand it all to be normal practice).

EVERY Rose Bowl match I attended at Spotland in the 70s resulted in me losing the people I had gone with and having to run the gauntlet of Rochdale fans at the bus station.

Watching Wimbledon stick their 5th goal past us at Selhurst Park before doing something I regret and being hauled off to a cell at South Norwood police station where a gobby desk sergeant with a Yorkshire accent kept opening the door to tell me how fecking Leeds were doing!

Several breakdowns / lost drivers / bricked coaches whilst using Stuarts Coaches during the 90s (It wasn't only Barlows!!), and having to endure a pissed and annoying John (Rez) Bailey for most of them.

Edited by outoftheblue

Reading away during the petrol crisis. Took a land rover from the place I was working with an older bloke from work. Got there lost 5-0. Zoomed home due to the road being empty. Ran out of petrol a mile from the depot. Had to push it a mile in the rain. Got written up for using all the petrol the next day at work.

Doncaster, the last time we played them at their old ground. Got arrested for assault before kick off due to mistaken identity. Had a black eye and swollen hand due to going out in Oldham the weekend before. Got put in the cells. Then let out when they caught the actual criminal at 9pm. Went to get the train back and the ticket office was closed. Got on the train the Sheffield. Ran for my connection. Got on it and got charged standard fare for not having a ticket.

Went to bed without any tea.

Worst thing was the fecker looked nothing like me.

Many moons ago we went by train to Fulham and got tonked 5-0.We went on the booze and caught what we thought was the last train to Manchester.We all fell asleep,some in the overhead luggage nets,and woke up at 4am in a frosty almost derelict Lime St station in Liverpool .Managed to pile on a mail train about 5.30 to Victoria skint and had to walk it back to Oldham.Bloody frozen stiff.One of the joys of watching Latics lol

I think it was September ’81 and we played Norwich away. A coach load of us went down to the game to be followed by a night out in Great Yarmouth. Latics won 2-1 to carry on our unbeaten start to the season so Great Yarmouth fell host to 50 or so pissed up Blues celebrating our victory.

At the end of the night we ended up in this nightclub were some of the locals took exception to us and it kicked off. The police soon turned up and two of our lot were, shall we say ‘wrongly arrested’ and carted off to the local nick.

Me and my mate, with a belly full of ale inside us, decided that if we told the coppers what had actually happened they would surely let them off so went down to the cop shop to plead their case. We were soon told that they’d be held until Monday morning before being up before the judge, so we might as well go home.

We asked for directions to the coach park were our coach was due to leave shortly, only to be told that it had been sent on its way already! So there we were, both bladdered and stranded in Great Yarmouth at half one in the morning. We decided to head to the train station, kip down there and get the first train out of the place in the morning. When we got there a train was in dock, and it was either that or a freezing cold platform so we just got on it and crashed out.

We woke up about six in the morning and got off it straight away before it set off and we ended up even farther away from home than we already were. We pooled our money together and waited for the ticket office to open only to find out that we only had enough for one of us to get home. There were no credit cards then (or at least we didn’t have one) so my mate had to phone his dad, who had to go down to Piccadilly Station and pay for his ticket before they’d let us on the train. Being a Sunday there were no direct trains to Manchester so we had to change three times before finally getting home about 9 O’clock Sunday night.

Still, we won 2-1 so all’s well that ends well.

Two for me.

Went to Derby, mid 80's on Sully's coach. Called off at chippy on way home and it 'ended up on fire!' . Police stopped us and it took forever to get home.

The other was obviously the QF v Southampton in the Littlewoods cup run. Went down on official Latics Liner (train) but with no ticket as it wasn't all ticket game. Went in pub only 100 yds from ground, and then found out Southampton opened some of our away end to their fans. Hundreds and hundreds locked out. Went back to pub and landlord said we'd equilised when we hadn't, needless to say the place got absolutely wrecked! Got in the ground for last couple of mins when they opened the gates to let southampton fans out - just in time to see Stitches second equiliser - amazing day! My pal got arrested that day, and had to go back to court in Southampton, and we then just made it back for the FA Cup replay at Goodison Park

Being a sad Bxxxxxd I collect pin badges

The difference being that I have to walk to or from the ground / sports venue before they go into my collection

Walking back from Accrington after the cup tie was not nice at all

You mean walk from your house all the way to the ground? Surely you can only collect locally then!

QPR away in play offs. Never felt so down after a game. :disappointed:

Aye. Even worse for me (on top of the coach home breaking down) was the fact this massive double hard looking cockney fella was sat right beside me in the away end, vociferously cheering on The Hoops from amongst our support. :o

I wasn't saying :censored: all to the bloke.

Doncaster away on a Friday night a few years ago (their last ever night game at belle vue). Game was :censored:e i recall ending 1-1, waiting an hour 30 mins for a train from Doncaster to Sheffield, once in Sheffield we were told it was replacement busses- didnt turn up until past midnight. Got into Piccadilly must of been 1am, just missed the last tram back to Bury, the busses were off for the night and i had a fiver in my back pocket and my friend at this very point realised he had lost his wallet.

Met some Irish homeless drunk who offered us a "bed" in Chorlton bus station, said he knew the security lad, freezing cold we took him up on this, got to the doors and there were 5 or 6 more pissed up scrotes begging for money. Ended up offloading most my fags and then walking around Manchester for a good 4 hours before sleeping in the doorway of the cooperative main offices just off victoria station! First tram to Bury was around 5/6am, missed that, had another hour to wait for the next one. Home at 7:45am ish, 12 hours after the match kicked off!

Aye. Even worse for me (on top of the coach home breaking down) was the fact this massive double hard looking cockney fella was sat right beside me in the away end, vociferously cheering on The Hoops from amongst our support. :o

I wasn't saying :censored: all to the bloke.

That was my worst game ever as well. I'm still slightly haunted by the memory of some random (to me) Oldham lass who was on the same tube as me (I got as far away from the place as quickly as I could) - she was completely comatose, didn't even blink when I tried talking to her to see ifshe was OK. Not through drink I don;t think, just the horror of it. Hope she got home safely.

• 2 years later...

Two Barlows breakdowns. One to Lincoln about 1998. They sent a coach of fans back and me and a couple of mates got on that. The rest of my mates waited for another Barlows. It turned up late for them. New coach too claimed the driver. We were only 5 minutes from BP! They missed the first 2 goals we scored and then their replacement chugged all the way home. New Barlows my arse!

Also Notts County when one broke down, they just stuffed another coach with fans for the last ten miles or so all stood in the aisle. No doubt broke all sorts of rules.

The final trips I made with them was the quite mental 6 hours to West Ham when we just made kick off for the Carling Cup win. Going home we'd be going about an hour or so and then oh dear. The sigh of disappointment when Canary Wharf was seen at 11pm....

3 days later I'd booked myself to go to Plymouth. Just the 14 hours. I wish I'd never bothered and we got a point!

I vaguely recall this, i'm sure it was the week after we won promotion at Ipswich, most of those cramming onto our coach were in fancy dress?

And I was on the West Ham coach too in '02, :censored:ing useless Barlows were...

Edited by oafcprozac

QUOTE (oafcprozac @ Nov 22 2010, 17:12 PM)

Best one I have read about was back in 1987, word for word:- Latics fans endured a nightmare trip to Portsmouth for a 3-0 defeat on 11th April 1987...

"This week's Latics action (there are a few photos that I may scan in given the chance) features the supporters who endured a marathon 24 hour trip to Portsmouth game the other weekend on one of the club's Executive coaches.

The day started badly enough when the executive double deck coach taking 74 supporters to Portsmouth arrived at Boundary Park 1 1/2 hours late on the Saturday morning. However, although cold and wet after standing around for nearly 2 hours, the supporters were delighted when they got onto the coach and saw eight colour TVs , tea, coffee, stereo music etc, and said it had been worth waiting for.

The driver made excellent time on the journey down and we arrived at Portsmouth in time for the kick off. Unfortunately the team did not play to the strandard we know it is capable of and thanks to two very dubious penalty decisions the lads lost 3-0.

The return journey to Oldham started at 5.30pm and after travelling for just over an hour the double deck coach broke down on the A34 near Newbury. Fortunately just down the road over a grass verge and a five foot fence was a country pub, where the landlord agreed to let the weary travellers take liquid refreshment and rest for an hour or so.

Unfortunately the hour or so turned into 8 1/2 hours as it was not until 2.15am on the Sunday morning that two coaches arrived to take us to Hilton Park Services on the M6 where we all transferred to two more coaches that arrived back in Oldham at 6.30am in the morning, almost 24 hours after the supporters first left home..."

Hi Tony.......One of the pictures was of myself and Mr Kent full of beer and asleep on the pub floor. Didn't we drink the pub dry that night ? I thought we got into the ground after kick off and were 1 nil down already?

Didn't Andy Linighan or somebody get sent off after about 10 minutes?

I vaguely recall this, i'm sure it was the week after we won promotion at Ipswich, most of those cramming onto our coach were in fancy dress?

And I was on the West Ham coach too in '02, :censored:ing useless Barlows were...

The Notts County one was about 99 when Mardon got the winner for us. Must be something about Barlows and Nottingham.