What reputation are you talking about? A reputation of being a junior at Man Utd? At Man Utd he played centre half and centre mid and never on the right wing. He was in centre mid with Darron Gibson. At Hartlepool Danny Wilson signed him and played him centre mid until Chris turner took over and decided to stick him on the wing to accomodate the favourites up there. Any Hartlepool fan will tell you he was a better centre mid player than right winger.

Against Sheff Weds this season Jones was reported to have ran 13.3km during the game which is over 2kms more than a prem player - does that show a lack of effort?

I was alluding to the reputation he came from hartlepool with, he seemed to be rated.

I can't speak for the sheff wed match as i was on holiday, but on tuesday yes, there was a lack of effort.

I don't want this to turn into a witch hunt, just trying to offer an explanation as to why he's getting some flak imo.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was alluding to the reputation he came from hartlepool with, he seemed to be rated.

I can't speak for the sheff wed match as i was on holiday, but on tuesday yes, there was a lack of effort.

I don't want this to turn into a witch hunt, just trying to offer an explanation as to why he's getting some flak imo.

you are to late it is already a witch hunt Jones was at fault for all three goals get over it.

Ps if you believe that dont watch the high lights

Holidays i wish alright for some, and most proper fans take their holidays out of season.

next

Are people seriously blaming Richie Jones on here, or is this some big wind-up? The problems with our performance started as soon as the tempo dropped, which it did about 20 minutes into the second half. We were lucky not to concede earlier with the quality of ball that their left winger was putting in, and the reason he was able to was that he had so much time.

Winchester and White were already being outnumbered 3 on 2, and by the end of the game all they did was stick Nardiello out wide and pile the pressure on a promising but callow 17 year old full-back. Jones didn't set the world alight, and should have done better really, but to try and blame him is just daft.

Typical gibberish from Latics fans, kind of makes me want to not come on OWTB anymore...

Are people seriously blaming Richie Jones on here, or is this some big wind-up? The problems with our performance started as soon as the tempo dropped, which it did about 20 minutes into the second half. We were lucky not to concede earlier with the quality of ball that their left winger was putting in, and the reason he was able to was that he had so much time.

Winchester and White were already being outnumbered 3 on 2, and by the end of the game all they did was stick Nardiello out wide and pile the pressure on a promising but callow 17 year old full-back. Jones didn't set the world alight, and should have done better really, but to try and blame him is just daft.

Typical gibberish from Latics fans, kind of makes me want to not come on OWTB anymore...

Whilst I totally agree with your post, the bold bit is so gay!

Edited by Lags

My problem with Jones was that he didn't back the obviously tiring and Nardielloed Winchester up as he had been instructed to by PD and Taggart!

My problem with Jones was that he didn't back the obviously tiring and Nardielloed Winchester up as he had been instructed to by PD and Taggart!

This is also true to some degree. However neither centre back covered round either. Winchester was getting roasted the last 30 mins or so however, the entire team was getting bogged down as Exeter started to take control of the ball and territory.

But the threat and goals from Exeter came from the other side of the pitch - so what did Winchester do wrong that meant he needed back up? The fact that they didn't score from his side of the pitch means that he coped quite well.

Edited by terry tibbs

But the threat and goals from Exeter came from the other side of the pitch - so what did Winchester do wrong that meant he needed back up? The fact that they didn't score from his side of the pitch means that he coped quite well.

Come on Terry mi ole mucker, Winchester was getting the runaround the last 30 mins or so. If you persist in this kinda blinkered way I am gonna have to say youre a wind up merchant!!

Come on Terry mi ole mucker, Winchester was getting the runaround the last 30 mins or so. If you persist in this kinda blinkered way I am gonna have to say youre a wind up merchant!!

Ok I agree he got a bit of a runaround for the last 30 mins and he gave a penalty away. I'm sure he won't dive in on a player like Nardiello again and will learn from it.

Would you agree that the problems/goals came from the other side of the pitch?

Have a look at the highlights and come back and tell me who was at fault for the goals.

The vast majority of Exeter's attacks were down the left. The highlights are not going to show this as they focus on the goals, which did indeed come mainly from the right.

What does this prove? Cock all.

It was clear to see what Exeter were doing, and Jones was sent on to do a job that he is capable of doing, but failed to do so. That said, Stephens also failed to do his bit, Furman started misplacing passes, Hazell didn't react quick enough to loose balls - need I go on?

I don't think anyone is looking for a scapegoat, but Jones is getting flak for not supporting Winchester when he was effectively given the most important task on the pitch in doing so.

I personally thought the subs were made too closely together. Yes, players were tiring, but the subs should have been eased in rather than the whole structure and balance of the side being changed almost instantaneously.

I'm sure wee Paul will have learned something there.

The vast majority of Exeter's attacks were down the left. The highlights are not going to show this as they focus on the goals, which did indeed come mainly from the right.

What does this prove? Cock all.

It was clear to see what Exeter were doing, and Jones was sent on to do a job that he is capable of doing, but failed to do so. That said, Stephens also failed to do his bit, Furman started misplacing passes, Hazell didn't react quick enough to loose balls - need I go on?

I don't think anyone is looking for a scapegoat, but Jones is getting flak for not supporting Winchester when he was effectively given the most important task on the pitch in doing so.

I personally thought the subs were made too closely together. Yes, players were tiring, but the subs should have been eased in rather than the whole structure and balance of the side being changed almost instantaneously.

I'm sure wee Paul will have learned something there.

The point I'm trying to make is that Jones is being used as a scapegoat for the goals that Exeter scored. He has no control over a player diving in and giving away a penalty. As you said it was busy down the left but they didn't score from there so the 2 players were obviously doing something right.

Our players are working that hard, they are burning themselves out over 70 minutes. We only have 3 subs and we had more than 3 very tired players on the pitch. Should the players be instructed to space their game out so they don't tire out so quickly? or should they carry on burning themselves out and then continue to concede late goals which has happened all season????

The point I'm trying to make is that Jones is being used as a scapegoat for the goals that Exeter scored. He has no control over a player diving in and giving away a penalty. As you said it was busy down the left but they didn't score from there so the 2 players were obviously doing something right.

Our players are working that hard, they are burning themselves out over 70 minutes. We only have 3 subs and we had more than 3 very tired players on the pitch. Should the players be instructed to space their game out so they don't tire out so quickly? or should they carry on burning themselves out and then continue to concede late goals which has happened all season????

I could be wrong but I don't think I've read one post which blames Jones directly for all 3 goals. YOU are the one that keeps bringing up the word scapegoat and I think you may have nearly convinced yourself it's true. Your one man crusade to defend the fella is becoming laughable. In fact I'd go so far to agree with Lags and say I think you're a wind up merchant.

BUT - As I said in and earlier post, all 11 players out there were responsible for a frankly embarrassing implosion, but the subs were brought on to relieve the pressure being mounted on our tiring midfield and defence. They all failed spectacularly, and in my opinion Jones was the worst offender of of those 3.

Was he directly responsible for us conceding all 3 goals? Was he balls. Was he responsible for not doing his share of the graft and taking care of the ball, therefore relieving pressure on the centre mids and back 4? Damned right he was, and to some tune.

I could be wrong but I don't think I've read one post which blames Jones directly for all 3 goals. YOU are the one that keeps bringing up the word scapegoat and I think you may have nearly convinced yourself it's true. Your one man crusade to defend the fella is becoming laughable. In fact I'd go so far to agree with Lags and say I think you're a wind up merchant.

BUT - As I said in and earlier post, all 11 players out there were responsible for a frankly embarrassing implosion, but the subs were brought on to relieve the pressure being mounted on our tiring midfield and defence. They all failed spectacularly, and in my opinion Jones was the worst offender of of those 3.

Was he directly responsible for us conceding all 3 goals? Was he balls. Was he responsible for not doing his share of the graft and taking care of the ball, therefore relieving pressure on the centre mids and back 4? Damned right he was, and to some tune.

You are correct I did say he was at fault for all three goals, as that is what is being implied on this forum, hence witch hunt.

So you wouldnt apportion any blame on Black who diidnt stop a single cross from the left handside.

And no im not a wind up merchant im just givng my opinion like you are givng yours. It interesting that we havent heard the players views on what happened. However I may ask Jones myself when he is at the new club shop on Monday.

I sit directly behind the dug out and all i can tell you is that it looked like he was given instructions to get forward.

Edited by terry tibbs

You are correct I did say he was at fault for all three goals, as that is what is being implied on this forum, hence witch hunt.

So you wouldnt apportion any blame on Black who diidnt stop a single cross from the left handside.

And no im not a wind up merchant im just givng my opinion like you are givng yours. It interesting that we havent heard the players views on what happened. However I may ask Jones myself when he is at the new club shop on Monday.

I sit directly behind the dug out and all i can tell you is that it looked like he was given instructions to get forward.

FFS Tezza, which bit of "As I said in and earlier post, all 11 players out there were responsible for a frankly embarrassing implosion" do you not understand?!

Actually, perhaps you thought that statement means all 11 players apart from young Blackie who can not possibly be held responsible in any way for stopping any crosses from the left?! :wacko:

No, I meant all of them, including Black for letting them get crosses in, including Dean Brill for spilling the initial shot for the first goal, including Rubes for lying down so nicely whilst Cureton made a mug of him etc etc.

But, it the subs had come on and done the job that Evina, White and Taylor had been doing effectively for and hour, exeter wouldn't have been able to put us under such sustained pressure for the last 15 or 20 mins.

FFS Tezza, which bit of "As I said in and earlier post, all 11 players out there were responsible for a frankly embarrassing implosion" do you not understand?!

Actually, perhaps you thought that statement means all 11 players apart from young Blackie who can not possibly be held responsible in any way for stopping any crosses from the left?! :wacko:

No, I meant all of them, including Black for letting them get crosses in, including Dean Brill for spilling the initial shot for the first goal, including Rubes for lying down so nicely whilst Cureton made a mug of him etc etc.

But, it the subs had come on and done the job that Evina, White and Taylor had been doing effectively for and hour, exeter wouldn't have been able to put us under such sustained pressure for the last 15 or 20 mins.

I agree, its a team game so they win together and lose together so why has one player been singled out and had his own topic on this forum especially as you have said above that they were all to blame for the result.

I don't see Black getting the same analysis as Winchester has been given and he's a young lad also.

must admit terry i got the impresssion jones was being told to get up too

I agree, its a team game so they win together and lose together so why has one player been singled out and had his own topic on this forum especially as you have said above that they were all to blame for the result.

Because the 2 points which he cost us the other night might the difference between promotion, leading to new ground and financial stability, and Oldham Athletic ceasing to exist. I hope Jones is aware of what he's done when he tries to sleep at night.

Because the 2 points which he cost us the other night might the difference between promotion, leading to new ground and financial stability, and Oldham Athletic ceasing to exist. I hope Jones is aware of what he's done when he tries to sleep at night.

the 2 points HE cost us - have you been on the loopy juice at lunch time????? What an absolute load of rubbish - you're the wind up merchant on this forum!

Well you :censored:ing started it :lol:

No need to be abusive.

Its quite strange how this player was in the winning team at Dagenham which Dickov is praising below!

In the rarely-wrong Chron, PD says "The fans have been fantastic in every single game. We think the world of them and want to put on performances for them. They see a team who will dig in, work hard and put their bodies on the line. Our performance at Dagenham was for them. No disrespect, but Dagenham is not the nicest place to go to and is hard to get to. We were delighted as the backing was great.