Weekend Weather

National Hunt Flat Racing goes ahead at Kempton Park after the 7am inspection, so how it is Latics can't manage about an acre of land, to me it puts the Swindon farce into perspective.

18-ascot-415.jpg

Edited by BP1960

National Hunt Flat Racing goes ahead at Kempton Park after the 7am inspection, so how it is Latics can't manage about an acre of land, to me it puts the Swindon farce into perspective.

18-ascot-415.jpg

I agree with you regarding the Swindon farce, but the Kempton meeting is a NH card but will be run on the All Weather polytrack surface, the turf track would not have been raceable today, they are trying desperately to get it raceable for their bumper Boxing Day fixture.

I agree with you regarding the Swindon farce, but the Kempton meeting is a NH card but will be run on the All Weather polytrack surface, the turf track would not have been raceable today, they are trying desperately to get it raceable for their bumper Boxing Day fixture.

Forgot about that, but maybe the F.A. should now agree to clubs installing all weather football pitches, they are much improved and even and International games are played on them nowadays.

Edited by BP1960

I use a Buxton weather site for my journeys to and from Oldham.

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

It gives the UK Outlook for Saturday 25 Dec 2010 to Monday 3 Jan 2011:

Continuing cold with further snow, widespread ice, severe overnight frosts and some freezing fog in most parts of the UK for the first few days. Locally significant accumulations of snow can be expected at times. Over parts of southwestern UK it is likely to become less cold and the snow will probably turn to rain at times beyond the Christmas weekend. This unsettled weather with rain, sleet or snow at times is then expected to spread slowly and erratically north and eastwards later next week and into the following week. Probably becoming less cold across much of the UK later in the period, with temperatures returning to nearer normal and precipitation mainly falling as rain.

UK Outlook for Tuesday 4 Jan 2011 to Tuesday 18 Jan 2011:

A return to nearer normal temperatures across much of the UK appears likely as we move into the New Year. Probably remaining unsettled, but with an increasing chance of some longer drier interludes with more sunshine.

Forgot about that, but maybe the F.A. should now agree to clubs installing all weather football pitches, they are much improved and even and International games are played on them nowadays.

It isn't so much the pitch being playable but the safety of the fans getting to the game that is the reason behind some postponements. There may be times when games will be played behind closed doors as we saw yesterday with the Edinburgh Rugby game at an empty 70,000 stadium.

The game will be off. T'is inevitable.

But if the forecast is 3-4C on Sat and Sun daytime, then why can't the club hire 10 hot air blowers and defrost the areas in the shade near the main stand overnight, and then we know that they won't refreeze as the temp will stay above freezing for the match?

But if the forecast is 3-4C on Sat and Sun daytime, then why can't the club hire 10 hot air blowers and defrost the areas in the shade near the main stand overnight, and then we know that they won't refreeze as the temp will stay above freezing for the match?

As we made little or no effort to get the Swindon game on (infact quite the reverse).

I can't see us going to the expense of hot air blowers etc.

As we made little or no effort to get the Swindon game on (infact quite the reverse).

I can't see us going to the expense of hot air blowers etc.

But it's Boxing Day income we are talking about - even £1000 expenditure will be worth £10,000 profit?

But it's Boxing Day income we are talking about - even £1000 expenditure will be worth £10,000 profit?

The Swindon game is the unfortunate marker for this. If we couldn’t get that on; despite it being more than fit enough to play; then we simply don’t have a cat in hell’s chance of getting this game on Boxing day on at all.

It’s; i’d say, 99% certain that its off; i’m leaving the 1% off as there’s always hope; no matter how slim – but if the Swindon game couldn’t be played; then i just don’t see how they can get this one on.

Looking at it; in a glass half empty style, we might not see a game at BP until Sat 22nd Jan 2011 Vs Brentford. Feckin’ Boo!!!!

Edited by slystallone

I don't think Swindon is a good comparison. We will have done the best we could with what we have (or maybe not even that). However, the Carlisle game is the boxing day game, which means bumper crowds. Playing Carlisle mid-week could earn us £20k less (or more), spending £5k extra to get a game on to make £20k is worth it. But with the Swindon game, the obvious date for a rearranged game was the 8th of Jan, and so we might make money by moving that game.

As its Carlisle there is also no way we need to have a pitch inspection over 24 hours before the game is going to kick-off. 11 am or noon will be plenty of time.

Surely spending some money on hot air blowers to get the game on will still bring in more revenue than a mid week game?

Carlisle usually bring a good away following so it's vital to get this game played on boxing day as there should be a bumper(ish) crowd.

I for one would be more than happy for the club to use my PlayerShare money to get the game on if it is at all possible.

It's bright Sun in Royton about 30 mins ago and temp was -0.5C BUT grass rock hard. Doubt it will make it.

HOWEVER DOES IT BLOODY MATTER.... touch of perspective.

Just been to pick my my little girl up from school and it certainly doesn't feel as cold as it did earlier in the week. There seems to be a very slight thaw underway too - perhaps due to the bright sunshine. Faint hope I suppose, but unless we get a prolonged milder spell - we've not a cat in hell's chance as the state of the car-park alone would probably be enough to call it off...

Just been to pick my my little girl up from school and it certainly doesn't feel as cold as it did earlier in the week. There seems to be a very slight thaw underway too - perhaps due to the bright sunshine. Faint hope I suppose, but unless we get a prolonged milder spell - we've not a cat in hell's chance as the state of the car-park alone would probably be enough to call it off...

Was gonna say that myself. Drove past before and, even if the pitch is playable, I imagine the Local Constabulary will say it has to be called off due to the car park.