Sad News - Merged

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news.

Best memory was of course the injury time goal he scored against Colchester.

There's not many last gasp goals that stick in the memory,certainly over recent years,but except for Gary Mac's goal at Scunny this one was my favourite.

R.I.P Richard

he looked the part but never really delivered and failed to win over the fans although he had moments when you could tell he had potential. 29 is way to young - a very very sad piece of news. RIP Richard and family. Never a latics favourite but a thoroughly decent bloke. Tragic.

Shocked and saddened by this.

I'm glad everyone's talking about the stunning Colchester goal. He came right in front of me in the Lookers before getting mobbed by the other players. A really special memory for me in my years as a Latics fan.

Thoughts and condolences to his family. Gutted.

RIP Richard.

I felt for the guy because he put up with a lot of shít off the fans when he was here, everyone was quick to get on his back. He probably wasn't good enough for us as indicated by the fact he's been playing lower League Two football over the recent years, but he had a good attitude on him and did give us a memorable winner against Colchester.

Football aside, this is terrible news for his family and friends, as other people have said, 29 is no age to pass away.

Met him at an Awards evening as my mates company sponsored his shirt that season, very quiet, pleasant lad, so quiet in fact the Club also put the Bubbly Paul Warne on our table,Warney being the lad he is brought him out of himself as the night went on.

Definitely none of the "Big I am" with him, no age at all

R.I.P. Richard

Edited by BLUMAX

RIP! he was made the scape goat by most fans and was on the end of some bad abuse at times from our fans. Nevr really did it for us but these things happen

Thoughts go out to his family

I really hope that it makes someone think again when they're about to unleash a vile tirade of abuse at one of our own players for the terrible crime of merely not be too good of a footballer. Life is far too short to have a misplaced pass raise the blood pressure to uncomfortable levels. By all means, bitch, moan and curse the lack of concentration, but let's never see the ugly fingerpointing and nasty abuse we saw at Barnsley ever again.

I really hope that it makes someone think again when they're about to unleash a vile tirade of abuse at one of our own players for the terrible crime of merely not be too good of a footballer. Life is far too short to have a misplaced pass raise the blood pressure to uncomfortable levels. By all means, bitch, moan and curse the lack of concentration, but let's never see the ugly fingerpointing and nasty abuse we saw at Barnsley ever again.

I wasn't one who slated him and was probably his biggest fan, but you can't expect fans to not give the players grief for not putting a shift in just on the off chance that they may die prematurely.

i think that is the most disgusting thing i have ever heard whilst being a latics fan. was pretty low for people to say what was said. wasnt his family in the stand that day ?

I wasn't one who slated him and was probably his biggest fan, but you can't expect fans to not give the players grief for not putting a shift in just on the off chance that they may die prematurely.

There's grief Paddy, and there's going massively over the top. And you know yourself that day some fans went well over the line.

things will never change. happens in all walks of life. looks at the abuse jade goody got and what happened to her.

RIP Richard. A year older than me. Makes you appreciate things that little bit more.

Very well said.

Agree totally. I also think now isn't the time to discuss who said what. No matter how much anybody criticises anyone wearing the shirt, nobody would want this for such a young lad!

Terrible news, not a legend in terms of his career at Oldham but the lad had an outstanding career in League 2. One of football's journeymen and someone who gave 100% each game, not blessed with all the attributes to make him a great footballer but none the less, a great pro.

Tragically he was the last player to see Keith Alexander alive, they used to share a car to and from Lincoln whilst at Macclesfield, he was also a big player in that wonderful Lincoln side that Keith put together.

He'd recently moved to Manchester having got married in July of this year. A real shock to all who knew him or knew of him, he was a real gentleman and his passing puts some of football's most recent events into perspective.

I know he was studying at Manchester Uni on a physiotherapy course, sadly that's where it abrubtly ends.

RIP Richard and sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Very very well said, I seem to remember his lack of celebration over the Colchester goal and the fact he was first off the pitch afterwards brought him pelters on messageboards from our own fans. Very sad news.