Where should Oldham Athletic relocate to permanently?

It's looking increasingly likely we'll have to leave Oldham - As the situations stands at the moment  

152 members have voted

1. 1. So where do we go?

• Stay at Boundary Park even though it may cost us the club?
    • A site must be found in Oldham AT ALL COSTS
    • Ashton Moss/A site in Tameside
    • Share with another club
    • Regional Athletics Centre
    • Stakehill

A little simplistic methinks.

Got to leave some room for the seats in the stadium and car parking outside.

You can't simply knock 35% off the size of the development and keep the same income streams planned.

I still think the approvals for Failsworth can be obtained. It's just that our LA will have to be more professional about it next time round.

Opinions did you manage to shift the motor?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a very fair opinion but you can argue there are lots of cost saving re planning issues road surveys etc as certain to pass. An established leisure complex, nothing to stop another hotel being built into plans the new one name escapes me village perhaps? appears very, very busy. Lots of other leisure opportunities to explore before writing it off.

The cinema, bowling etc is a shame however conference facilities, high tech offices, business centres are missing in the area at present. Must be scope for partnerships.

and as Simon says, welcomed with open arms...

Thats the MASSIVE PLUS point. I think I am correct in saying Tameside is the largest met borough WITHOUT a professional sport within its boundary. An OL7 postcode YES I KNOW..... to boot. Transport issues are blown away in a few seconds. A blank sheet of paper.

Merging with Tameside in some way is hardly the crime compared with 20 years of inactivity from successive political idiots I would bet if Simon spoke to Tameside they could have a ground up in under 2 years. (perhaps getting a stay of execution on the main stand.)

What does Dudley come under- as that's the largest town/city without one.

When will the message get through Boundary Park is losing its football club one way or another unless SOMETHING radical happens quickly. OR OMBC gets its act together which it has failed to do for 20 plus years. Its crap but lots of people have been saying DOOMED for a while and I bet none are happy right now.

A genuine question WHERE are we going to play next season? the following season? or are we going to be out of town like Brighton for years. All very sad.

As I've said any permanent move out of the borough is unacceptable. I don't mind moving away for the short-term. Oldham Athletic's future should be in Oldham and not in another town.

I'm well aware football may not be played at BP next season and that a move away may have to happen but only because Corney says so.

OAFC's future has to be in Oldham long-term or it's all irrelevant to me. I won't support the club if it moves away permanently. It won't be my club anymore. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

As I've said any permanent move out of the borough is unacceptable. I don't mind moving away for the short-term. Oldham Athletic's future should be in Oldham and not in another town.

I'm well aware football may not be played at BP next season and that a move away may have to happen but only because Corney says so.

OAFC's future has to be in Oldham long-term or it's all irrelevant to me. I won't support the club if it moves away permanently. It won't be my club anymore. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

It's quite funny how a council boundary, set by a civil servant in the early 70s, can mean so much to some people.

Me, I'd be happy to have the club move to anywhere that is within a reasonable distance of oldham, has some traditional links to our fan base, and does not move us geographically past another league club.

In 1974, OMBC could easily have not included Failsworth, but could have included Limehurst or Ashton Moss. It could have had Middleton, Shaw could have been put in with Rochdale - would that make a non-latics area?

Middleton anyone? Full of reds / blues of course, but then again, so is Oldham.

I may have missed something somewhere along the line, BUT, why do the self sustaining facilities and the stadium have to be on the same site?

Couldn't SC use the Lancaster site for a hotel, bowling alley, cinema, brothel, gym, plastic pitches, blah blah, and then build a tidy, adequately sized, 10000 seat stadium with conference facilities on whats left of Boundary Park?

It's quite funny how a council boundary, set by a civil servant in the early 70s, can mean so much to some people.

Me, I'd be happy to have the club move to anywhere that is within a reasonable distance of Oldham, has some traditional links to our fan base, and does not move us geographically past another league club.

In 1974, OMBC could easily have not included Failsworth, but could have included Limehurst or Ashton Moss. It could have had Middleton, Shaw could have been put in with Rochdale - would that make a non-latics area?

Middleton anyone? Full of reds / blues of course, but then again, so is Oldham.

Fair point. Latics have been prepared to move out of Oldham (town) for a while as the plans to move to Chadderton or Failsworth demonstrate. In 1974 Saddleworth could have been a part of Tameside, and Middleton was originally going to be a part of Oldham (borough).

A lot of people seem to be attaching a great deal to an administrative borough that was set up to run (ruin?) local government services. Although there is no desire on the part of national governments to radically re-organise local government, it doesn't mean that OMBC is here for ever! If the council had taken a generic name like Tameside or Trafford some peoples views might be a little different.

real: Do you know of 30 acres of spare land in Middleton? :grin:

Get the council to tidy up and pay for Coal pit lane for their part of this sorry mess. To include adequate road links and fit for purpose land. I don't think many Latics followers would complain about that. Obviously something is wrong with the land as it stands but does anyone actually know what?

Edited by Lags

Argh Google.... love these quiz questions with wrong answers....

Dudley pop 194000 but close to WBA, Birmingham, Kidderminster lol....

Then Telford 162,000

ignoring Rugby Wakefield apparently.... 322,000

Tameside pop 213000 that will be higher than Dudley?

interesting fact constituencies. Ashton-under-Lyne, which also includes parts of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, is represented by Mr. David Heyes MP (Labour) all down to 1974.....

That's just the population of Dudley centre (in Tameside I'd guess the equivalent is A-U-L). The population for Dudley is 306,500, as seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Engli...s_by_population

a list derived from the ONS.

Having said that this info is perhaps about to become out of date, and someone else might be the largest.

Get the council to tidy up and pay for Coal pit lane for their part of this sorry mess. To include adequate road links and fit for purpose land. I don't think many Latics followers would complain about that. Obviously something is wrong with the land as it stands but does anyone actually know what?

I *think* it's designated as green belt.

How about Miggy, north of oldham rd, west of the rail line, behind british vita?

Or if it could be made to work, the hollinwood gasometer site?

The way I see it, should Tameside be the only 'Other' option should failsworth be dead in the water, then so be it.

In my opinion no one nowadays attaches themselves to the town - we (well, i) follow Oldham due to the success of the team under Royle and the fact that my dad has followed the team all his life - it has nothing to do with the fact that oldham had the mills industry or anything regarding the town per se, simply the club itself.

Ashton would not be 'in' Oldham, granted - but it has that OL postcode.

Most of us would go to failsworth if it meant us having a club, with an M postcode.

What real difference does it make where we are located, within reason? - United are in Trafford, not 'Manchester'. Christ, Rochdale have an OL postcode and they dont care.

Oldham as a town is and has been dead for 10 or so years - Ashton/Failsworth/Saddleworth, wherever - as long as the club is still in existence then I will get behind it wherever we are

In my eyes we support the team and the badge, not this worthless town.

Edited by shefflatic

We will groundshare with Dale

Cant see it, already two teams playing on Spotland.

But I see theres quite a few jumping to the conclusion that we would allow you to Share Spotland with us until you sort yourselves out. Im afraid at present this probably wont happen as we already have 2 teams based at the ground and no way of shifting Hornets due to the RFL owning 45% of the ground due to Hornets illegally selling them their percentage of ownership two years ago. The pitch just wouldnt hold up with 3 teams playing on it so not a viable option for Rochdale AFC.

Good luck for the future though, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Up The Dale

The way I see it, should Tameside be the only 'Other' option should failsworth be dead in the water, then so be it.

In my opinion no one nowadays attaches themselves to the town - we (well, i) follow Oldham due to the success of the team under Royle and the fact that my dad has followed the team all his life - it has nothing to do with the fact that oldham had the mills industry or anything regarding the town per se, simply the club itself.

Ashton would not be 'in' Oldham, granted - but it has that OL postcode.

Most of us would go to failsworth if it meant us having a club, with an M postcode.

What real difference does it make where we are located, within reason? - United are in Trafford, not 'Manchester'. Christ, Rochdale have an OL postcode and they dont care.

Oldham as a town is and has been dead for 10 or so years - Ashton/Failsworth/Saddleworth, wherever - as long as the club is still in existence then I will get behind it wherever we are

In my eyes we support the team and the badge, not this worthless town.

Postcodes are irrelevant.

True, surely an option?

everyone keeps mentioning Tameside, have Tameside, Ashton, Council or what/who ever come out and said they'd even want Latics in their town.

Surely they would want to be one of the exclusive 92 Clubs and put Tameside on the map?

Look how our pinch me season put the town of Oldham on the Map, long before Riots and bent politicians!!!

Surely they would want to be one of the exclusive 92 Clubs and put Tameside on the map?

Look how our pinch me season put the town of Oldham on the Map, long before Riots and bent politicians!!!

When I speak to friends from outside the north west....

Where do you live? Oldham. Oh right.

Where do you work? Tameside. Where?!

Fair point. Latics have been prepared to move out of Oldham (town) for a while as the plans to move to Chadderton or Failsworth demonstrate. In 1974 Saddleworth could have been a part of Tameside, and Middleton was originally going to be a part of Oldham (borough).

A lot of people seem to be attaching a great deal to an administrative borough that was set up to run (ruin?) local government services. Although there is no desire on the part of national governments to radically re-organise local government, it doesn't mean that OMBC is here for ever! If the council had taken a generic name like Tameside or Trafford some peoples views might be a little different.

real: Do you know of 30 acres of spare land in Middleton? :grin:

Assuming most wouldn't mind travelling within a 5 miles radius of Boundary Park I thought this map might be interesting;

bpmap.jpg

Edited by BP1960

Do some of the local non-league grounds have room for expanding them? Having looked on Google maps Stalybridge might, especially if the Government flog the forests.

Our land is probably worth more than theirs, so could an option be to buy out their ground and expand it using our land to pay for it?

Do some of the local non-league grounds have room for expanding them? Having looked on Google maps Stalybridge might, especially if the Government flog the forests.

Our land is probably worth more than theirs, so could an option be to buy out their ground and expand it using our land to pay for it?

Tameside stadium is the obvious one, 4,000 capacity now, but has scope for 5 times that.