• A football team
    • A sports club
    • A unique identity
    • A town
    • A social event
  2. 2. Where do you reside

• Oldham
    • Elsewhere
  3. 3. Are you originally from Oldham or have lived in Oldham?

• Yes
    • NO

For me, it's "homemade steak pie with chips, peas and gravy please" in Butterworths chippy with my dad (Levers when he comes over nowadays, with Butterworths gone). It's the walk to the ground, listening to his stories of players of old - Johnstone, Lister, Frizzell.. It's the fact that, in the same way my dad first took me, his dad first took him. It's the walk back after the game discussing what we've just seen. It's 'Come on Oldham'. It's those who are no longer here (R.I.P. Paul Smith) and those who remain. It's the glory of the past and the hope for the future. It's Oldham Athletic because it's Oldham.

The link between town and club is everything to me, which is why, well, my signature says what it does.

Could not have put it better myself.

The poll question is a good question, but it's a bit silly to make it into some type of multiple choice Poll.

It's like saying : This pint of lager in front of you, what is it to you ? A jar of liquid ; A glass of Stella ; A refreshment ; An escape ; A social event ;

Edited by Yard Dog

You see for me, I agree (mostly) with what your signature says. But if my club is taken from me and my town, then I don't wish it luck. I hope it dies a quick death.

There are some good people willing to follow the club to another town. Obviously, I hope it never happens but if it does, then I have nothing to gain from wishing them anything but the best.

On Balance Oldham Athletic is a football club that has more often than not spoiled my Saturday teatime for over 60 years.

My first memories are of my mum and I listening to ‘Sports Report’ on the radio to find out what mood dad would be in when he got in from the match.

I was brought up on my dad’s stories of Gemmell and Burnett and the day the Latics needed a draw away to Bradford to clinch the Div 3 championship; of the disappointment when the board failed to invest and relegation followed the next year.

My first match 1 November 1958 – lost 3-5 to Watford – hooked!

The arrival of Bobby Johnstone (probably the best player ever to wear the latics strip) and my hero Jimmy (Mr Oldham Athletic) Frizzell in 1960 were landmarks. Since then the memories are too numerous, but the following stick out:

FA cup against Liverpool (1961), over 40,000 at Boundary Park see us robbed by an Ian St John goal that never crossed the line (just like the England goal of 66),

Boxing Day 1962, the 11-0 beating of Southport, Bert Lister scores 6.

The Ken Bates years, highs followed by a desperate low when the man lost interest and wanted his money back!

Jimmy Frizzell takes us from bottom of Fourth Division to the Second collecting the Ford Stand along the way.

1971, my dad collapsing in the Chaddy and being pronounced dead in the tunnel during the first match in the Third Division against Bolton,

The diabolical treatment of Jimmy and the appointment of Joe Royale, this nearly finished my support.

The pinch me years (Joe is forgiven),

The nightmare of near extinction,

And now the hoped for resurgence of the team’s fortunes, but looks as though we are to leave Boundary Park - don’t know how to cope with this at present, but being an Oldham fan is having to cope with set back and disappoinment.

On Balance Oldham Athletic is a football club that has more often than not spoiled my Saturday teatime for over 60 years.

My first memories are of my mum and I listening to ‘Sports Report’ on the radio to find out what mood dad would be in when he got in from the match.

I was brought up on my dad’s stories of Gemmell and Burnett and the day the Latics needed a draw away to Bradford to clinch the Div 3 championship; of the disappointment when the board failed to invest and relegation followed the next year.

My first match 1 November 1958 – lost 3-5 to Watford – hooked!

The arrival of Bobby Johnstone (probably the best player ever to wear the latics strip) and my hero Jimmy (Mr Oldham Athletic) Frizzell in 1960 were landmarks. Since then the memories are too numerous, but the following stick out:

FA cup against Liverpool (1961), over 40,000 at Boundary Park see us robbed by an Ian St John goal that never crossed the line (just like the England goal of 66),

Boxing Day 1962, the 11-0 beating of Southport, Bert Lister scores 6.

The Ken Bates years, highs followed by a desperate low when the man lost interest and wanted his money back!

Jimmy Frizzell takes us from bottom of Fourth Division to the Second collecting the Ford Stand along the way.

1971, my dad collapsing in the Chaddy and being pronounced dead in the tunnel during the first match in the Third Division against Bolton,

The diabolical treatment of Jimmy and the appointment of Joe Royale, this nearly finished my support.

The pinch me years (Joe is forgiven),

The nightmare of near extinction,

And now the hoped for resurgence of the team’s fortunes, but looks as though we are to leave Boundary Park - don’t know how to cope with this at present, but being an Oldham fan is having to cope with set back and disappoinment.

Jesue mate, you deserve a pardon................ you deserve your release as it seems you have done your time :lol:

On a serious note this is the sadness of what we face, a multitude of good people who have been around OAFC for a lifetime only to potentially lose our club.

I am not an Oldhamer by birth (born in Ashton, live in Stalybridge) but started following in the mid 70's as a very young lad (I am 40) because my dad used to take me (he followed Latics after his dad used to take him (his dad played for Latics in the late 20's)). I have seen the end of Friz, the wonderful times under Royle straight through to the worst dross ever under Dave Penney and will follow wherever we go.

Love Latics and will always keep the faith!

vs huddersfield away... the fans should try out the poznan... search into you tube

and see if we can start it for a great atmosphere

pass this round, and see if we can have a great day out, if we get everyone to do it, it'll be famous, the city game did it and see how many cameras there were, lets be that club... lets show how amazing our fans really are

vs huddersfield away... the fans should try out the poznan... search into you tube
and see if we can start it for a great atmosphere

pass this round, and see if we can have a great day out, if we get everyone to do it, it'll be famous, the city game did it and see how many cameras there were, lets be that club... lets show how amazing our fans really are

Been done. Why try to copy :censored:ty?

born and bread in Ashton, taken to my first game by dad and uncle (both born and bread in ashton ,who both are still massive fans,sadly my dad doesnt go anymore due to ill health)when i was four, been going ever since, so my does brother ,im married with two kids now, now i take my son ,(my daughter goes to dancing class every saturday) who goes through the same emotions as me every saturday..can say hand on heart wherever we play be it oldham,rochdale,ashton,failsworth we will be there...as a kid growing up used to get asked by all my citeh and manure mates,,why go to oldham, why did i choose them.. and to some extent it still happens today, the answers simple , I DIDNT..THEY CHOSE ME....feel honored and very priviledged to call myself a latics fan , and be among a very special band of people.

Edited by rumour

I havent lived in the town for 17 years but have kept the season ticket and travel to games.

When people ask why do I support them I joke I'm a glory hunter - and they say I am from the town originally, why else do people support lower league football? Perhaps parental influence if they were from the town originally?

How do you get to the games?

More of a football club, rather than a team. After more than 50 years watching Latics I am just as passionate about my club today as I have ever been. I was born in Oldham, and the one day ever that I pegged of school was to go and watch Latics play one midweek afternoon ( before we had floodlights ) and I was captivated, I cant even remember why I wanted to go in the first place, but once I had I've been hooked ever since. My memory bank is full of massive highs and plenty of desolate and sickening lows, And it's all of this that makes me love MY football club more and more as time goes bye. My pride and passion for MY club will never diminish as long as blood flows through my body I honestly believe that your modern day, support a big name, or the team at the top of the premiership, worship a so called star, kind of football fan could NEVER in a million years get out of football what I have had from supporting my home town club. We no longer live in Oldham, as my signature says we are 100 miles away, but a two hundred mile round trip to every home match has never been a chore, and I always look forward to seeing friends and family at a game, and long may it last. finally my heart goes out to Simon Corney, and the board members who are pulling their tripes out for our club but seem to be thwarted at every turn. Lets hope that the lads on the pitch do us proud, and with our present management team we may just be all in for a very pleasant suprise come the end of the season. Regards Geoff :grin:

i live in ayr, scotland and yesterday saw a latics sticker in a car window, i nearly jizzed everywhere!!! well thats a bit too much, i got excited by believing there is another one of us up here! you wouldnt get that kind of reaction from utd, city, chelsea etc!

Oldham v Southampton the carling cup replay, at the time i didn't know about Latics previous exploits in the cup that year. My mate asked me i'f i'd go with him, so i did along with two more friends. They took me into the Chaddy and we all stood somewhere at the back, i remember the noise made hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

mates of mine didn't get in that night because of glory hunters like you :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:grin::wink:

I was born in Oldham (in 1956) and have lived in and around Oldham ever since. I support Latics because they are my town team. No other reason. It's for life. I cannot support any other team in the same way...........EVER!

I was born in Oldham in 1962 and although whisked away and exiled in Morecambe when my parents split up, I was lucky enough to still be able to get over and watch Latics from the early 70's onwards, I can say that i've seen some greats on the turf at B.P and not all Oldham players for that matter, Cloughs european Forest side was a real treat even though both me and my cousin got our scarves nicked on sheepfoot lane by a group of their fans,

OLDHAM ATHLETIC is in the blood, it never goes away no matter how old you get and all this talk of playing in another district is morally wrong and a total loss of identity will be the only outcome.

How I wish my numbers would come up then i'd be able to help the club I love with all my heart get exactly what it deserves EVERYTHING!

I’ve been going to Boundary Park for 60 years, and I don’t see it as the dump that so many talk about. I’ve seen it look much worse over the years than it does now. I have memories, some very fond, some horrific, from watching matches on all four sides of BP, and I even sat on the wall behind the RRE goal when I was a kid. :scarf001: Even allowing for all its faults and mistakes, I feel that Oldham Athletic is a unique football club, playing in a unique football ground, operated by unique supporter-friendly people and supported by some people who are the salt of the earth.

I don’t go into a football ground to eat food and drink beer, tea or coffee, so the quality of those facilities doesn’t bother me. All I want is to stand or sit where it’s dry, with an uninterrupted view of the action. I’m prepared to put up with the view being obstructed minimally by one of the pillars in the Chaddy End, because I choose to watch the match from the end where I have the best memories. After years of criticising the PA system at the front of the Chaddy, I discovered against Daggers that the problem all along has been the PA announcer, not the system – Big Gordon stand up and take a bow! When the final whistle goes and I leave, it’s a bonus that my car is safe and I can make a speedy exit from the BP car park before driving 70 miles back home.

I’ve watched matches in stadia all over the country and abroad and, although many of them have impressive exteriors and interiors, when it comes to watching the match, invariably I’m sat on a plastic seat bolted to concrete and the look of the stadium becomes insignificant. The bigger the stand in which I’m sat, the farther I tend to be from the pitch. The lower the roof, the louder my singing seems to sound.

Unlike many, I don’t hate the town of Oldham – I’m proud of where I was born (Boundary Park Hospital) and where I was brought up in Coldhurst and on Holts. I still visit the town on non-match days and I can think of many other places much worse than my birthplace.

Unfortunately, the incompetence of the Council detracts from the town’s appeal. :redcard: Alan Hardy has been reported in the local press to have said about the Club’s dealings with the Council:

"The struggle to get a new ground has had a major impact on the losses in recent times, as it has taken so long to materialise. When we submitted our plans for Boundary Park early in 2007, with the intention of redeveloping the current site into a new ground, we didn’t get planning permission until December. By that time the recession had hit, which in turn meant a redevelopment of Boundary Park was no longer a viable proposition". A sum of £550,000 relating to the planning application for the redevelopment of Boundary Park was included as an exceptional write-off in the Club’s accounts up to the end of 2009.

Since then the Club, acting in good faith after the Council had misled the Charity Commission into giving the OK for the Lower Memorial Park land to be included in the Failsworth stadium development, incurred costs in producing the plans for the proposed stadium plus a reported £3m in purchasing the Lancaster Club, which is currently a ‘pig in a poke’. Simon Corney says "Do we really want to go through this whole process again and again in Oldham - £35,000 for plans here, £20,000 for environmental reports there, and what for – all for nothing, just bills, bills and more bills?"

The Club posted a loss of £1.524 million for the year ended December 2009, which was over £1m more than the £414,000 deficit posted the previous year. Turnover was down to £3.26m as match-day and commercial income fell by £277,000. Operating losses for the year were £1.227m, compared with £1.012m the previous year. Simon Corney says the owners have pumped £14m into the Club and they have said consistently that the Club will not be put into Administration. The rarely-wrong Chron reported last October that the Club’s net liabilities were also on the rise. Mainly made up of former directors’ loans from owners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal, the figure stood at £4.630m on December 31, 2009, up from £3.570m twelve months earlier. Those net liabilities have grown in the period since, though there is no indication that those two Amigos are about to call in the loans.

This season football-wise things are much brighter, but financially they are worse, as gates continue to fall. I concluded years ago that the people of Oldham generally don’t give a toss about watching live sport. :disappointed: It is painfully obvious that Latics cannot survive financially on the pitiful attendances. The rarely-wrong Chron said this season "it is as exciting to follow this team as it is mystifying as to why more don’t bother, at home at least". Those missing people are needed desperately as they are the ones collectively with the ability to refloat the sinking ship. The equivalent of half the current home attendance was present on Saturday at Huddersfield, a town like Oldham with a long football and rugby history, but significantly different from Oldham in terms of current support from the townsfolk.

In an ideal world, like most supporters, I would like to see a large new stand on the Broadway side of BP, incorporating facilities to create non-football revenue streams to make the Club financially viable and self-sustaining. It would also create a superior match-day experience for those supporters who want it, and perhaps result in some of the missing people returning. The owners say the worldwide recession and the subsequent impact on the property market necessitated the abandonment of the proposed redevelopment of BP, and the search for land elsewhere on which to build a new stadium. That would mean the end of an era with the Club moving from BP. It will be a sad day when that happens, but I shall still support Latics, wherever the Club plays. What I dread most is the Club going into liquidation, having gone within 24 hours of doing so in 2003.

If the Club has to move out of the Borough to survive, that would be a crying shame, and if it has to change its name, that would be tragic. It shouldn’t be necessary to change the Club’s name if playing out of Oldham. There are already examples where this has been permitted. ManUre plays in Trafford Borough, Rotherham United plays in Sheffield, Grimsby Town plays in Cleethorpes and West Brom’s home, The Hawthorns, is in the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell, although part of it is geographically within Birmingham. The former Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic now plays in Boscombe under the name of AFC Bournemouth. Other clubs have names unrelated to where they play, such as Port Vale and Queen’s Park Rangers, so does that mean they can move anywhere and keep the name unchanged?

So, regardless of where the Club plays in future, and under what name, for me it will continue to be :latics: ‘til I die, and it may well be that the many lumps in my throat brought about by Latics prove to be the cause of my death.

:ktf:

None of the above for me to me they are a constant a line through my life !

school comes and goes friends come and go girlfriends/wives come and go jobs come and go but the one constant in my life has been latics from my first game in 1973 to today .

Ive seen good times and bad times watching my club and want my kids to have the same oppertunity

"keep the faith "

never lived in the town or borough, born in Ashton but lived elsewhere mainly Bristol for the last 24 years...could have been a red, but decided to be the black sheep of the family...started watching Latics on me tod as a 13 year old when we got promoted from Div 3...never looked back since...

its in my blood and bones...my lad who was born in Bristol is Latics as well...he's more annoyed about whats happening than me presently...

I think for a lot of the old ''uns on here its all about nostalgia...and to a lesser extent...what might happen in the future...imo

KTF...IDWT :zigga:

Edited by downender2

I'm 25, from Failsworth, I went to Latics first when I was 15 with some mates, solely because we couldn't afford to watch United.

I'm now the only one out of them who attends - albeit when I'm not playing on Saturday afternoons myself.

I remember being 16 and 17 and sitting on my own in the Chaddy End on many cold Tuesday nights, not giving a toss that I was on my own because I was watching live football where my team wasn't expected to win and if they did it was a great achievement unlike United.

Now I've followed them too long to support anyone else nor go and watch someone else if we go bump.

I hate all the old moaners who don't have a clue and compare things to the glory days, especially those in the George Hill upper but they are part and parcel of the Oldham Athletic that I've known.

Long may it continue.