The "Matchday Experience"

For anyone who still thinks that the game is all and decrepit stands and poor facilities are an irrelevance then watching last night’s game should have been a salutary experience. Padded seats, masses of legroom (and I’m 6’ 4”), steep rakes giving perfect unimpeded views from every seat, minimal queues for a good range of food and drink, all under cover... the list goes on and it only cost a tenner. Say and think what you like about their origins but the owners of that club have done a fantastic job with that stadium and with the revenue that all the facilities associated with it will generate it is only a matter of time until they on and up.

Any other club, I'd be jealous. With them, it's reminiscent of grooming. We'll steal a club, but it's ok, we have padded seats. We'll abuse you, but you'll get some sweets afterwards.

50 Years from now, MK Dons will be seen the same as every other team. The main thing is that they will be around because of the stadium they have got. If we go out of business, what will we be in 50 years time..... Forgotten!!!

yes but what about the atmosphere? When I went to MK all I could remember were screaming kids and somone banging a drum, it was very artificial

I'm certainly not "banging the drum" for MK Dons but lst time I was at Boundary Park it was like a morgue and comments on here don't suggest that it hsa chnged to that of the Camp Nou. If people want discomfort in the name of tradition then that's their choice but they are going to have to accept that they are in a very small minority

I'm certainly not "banging the drum" for MK Dons but lst time I was at Boundary Park it was like a morgue and comments on here don't suggest that it hsa chnged to that of the Camp Nou. If people want discomfort in the name of tradition then that's their choice but they are going to have to accept that they are in a very small minority

Well said!!!!!

Well - I'm all for tradition and comfort - impossible dream maybe for Oldham but we live in hope.

It still does not make it right what happened with MK Dons - it never will - and as for their tradition? They don't have any!

Irrelevant to the subject matter. Grounds like that will become the norm for SUCCESSFUL clubs which I fully expect MK to become

50 Years from now, MK Dons will be seen the same as every other team. The main thing is that they will be around because of the stadium they have got. If we go out of business, what will we be in 50 years time..... Forgotten!!!

Do you reckon? I still think people will feel bitter about them. Maybe not as many, but they've set a precident which if it's allowed and accepted will see more teams like that.

Do you reckon? I still think people will feel bitter about them. Maybe not as many, but they've set a precident which if it's allowed and accepted will see more teams like that.

They're not the first team to move! Look back 50 years at where teams were and where they are now located. It's happened before.

Doesn't mean I like it any more than you, just the truth.

It can?

Has anyone told Corney? This is the biggest news to hit this website since the 'Cup run makes money' headline.

Theres another bit of news about this revolutionary new round thing out of town folk call 'a wheel', Oldhamers have found several of them guilty of witchcraft and burned them at the stake earlier today :wink:

so whats your point oggy? that McDons have a great stadium? nice one, cheers for that.

Not claiming it's rocket science but there are plenty on here who think that getting a successful and/or attractive team on the pitch will bring the fans flooding back. Two points - firstly it won't and, secondly, the chances of getting success on the pitch will be massively enhanced by a decent infrastructure.

Personally, I hate the phrase "matchday experience"... It reeks of being a marketing term to try and get more cash of supporters. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the whole idea of going to see a football match rather than any "matchday experience"... If I'm looking for extra comfort I'll bring a pair of gloves or maybe a scarf.

Personally, I hate the phrase "matchday experience"... It reeks of being a marketing term to try and get more cash of supporters. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the whole idea of going to see a football match rather than any "matchday experience"... If I'm looking for extra comfort I'll bring a pair of gloves or maybe a scarf.

We were talking about this on the way home. The Mongs are marketed towards kids. Give it 10-15 years and they'll have a decent fanbase that will never know that the Wombles existed (sadly) young adults that that have known nothing but League Football in MK. (Doesn't make it right) And I agree with the OP, everything a new ground should and my man of the match was definitely the Chicken Balti Pie at HT! Glad I've ticked off stadium MK now though, the Womble murdering barstewards are getting no more of my money...

You'll be looking like one of them greedy league players!

Not claiming it's rocket science but there are plenty on here who think that getting a successful and/or attractive team on the pitch will bring the fans flooding back. Two points - firstly it won't and, secondly, the chances of getting success on the pitch will be massively enhanced by a decent infrastructure.

actually I think you're right there, one thing a Football club can never guarentee is success but I think there are better examples out there like Hull, Swansea or any new stadium in Germany

Edited by Tommy_Fent