Players released who went because they didn't fit!

I'm going ask to limit the answers to since the TTA took over and who weren't loanees, but 2 players "stand out" immediately but there are others if I think about it fully.

1) David Eyres - I don't think his age or fitness was a problem. I'm guessing Shez was more interested in Tommy Wright and thought of Eyres as a threat.

2) Mark Hughes - certainly didn't fit Ronnie's style of play but results picked up when Hughes replaced the much maligned Richard Butcher. I thought, as a defensive midfielder who knew his job of sitting in front of the back 4, he was very good at this level.

Marc tierney look at him mow

Good shout based on where he's been and our need over the years for a solid left back but if I'm perfectly honest, I don't remember too much too much about him at Latics.....I blame alcohol abuse!!!

Antoine-Curier. Once he was match fit he looked like a Div 2 Thierry Henry; shame he was (allegedly) a thieving tyke.

Eh!!! Missed this one....what happened....allegedly?

And when was someone called Antoine a Yorkshire git? Mind you, the thieving git description seems about right!!!

Tierney blow hot and gash in his few spells. I guess you never know but i can see why we didnt't keep him on. I would go further than Mr Bosh and say that charlton's introduction was the biggest thing that happened for up that season, so there you go. I always rated the none evil Mark Hughes, i thought there was subtly in his play that eluded some who would rather see a player go in studs and all every time. Didnt he have physical problems though, affecting his stamina and ability to order big maccs?

Tierney blow hot and gash in his few spells. I guess you never know but i can see why we didnt't keep him on. I would go further than Mr Bosh and say that charlton's introduction was the biggest thing that happened for up that season, so there you go. I always rated the none evil Mark Hughes, i thought there was subtly in his play that eluded some who would rather see a player go in studs and all every time. Didnt he have physical problems though, affecting his stamina and ability to order big maccs?

Can see where you are coming from on this, LL. But just throwing a different angle on this with a comparison to one our present players. Hughes reminds me of Furman, insofar that both being the "engine room" of the midfield without another tackler and both look/looked shattered after an hour.

Funny how the team picked up once Moore re-introduced Hughes back into the team and allowed Wellens more freedom.

I heard a rumour more than once that he had pretty bad asthma and it kept him from playing in a game about once or twice and stopped him finishing them regularly.

I rated Tierney as well, but we had him, Eardley, Charlton, Edwards and Lomax all of whom could play in the same position, so he ended up going. It wasn't much of a loss at the time and perhaps one of the reasons why he is playing for Norwich is because of Lambert.

I'm going ask to limit the answers to since the TTA took over and who weren't loanees, but 2 players "stand out" immediately but there are others if I think about it fully.

1) David Eyres - I don't think his age or fitness was a problem. I'm guessing Shez was more interested in Tommy Wright and thought of Eyres as a threat.

2) Mark Hughes - certainly didn't fit Ronnie's style of play but results picked up when Hughes replaced the much maligned Richard Butcher. I thought, as a defensive midfielder who knew his job of sitting in front of the back 4, he was very good at this level.

I thought it was Ronnie Moore that wouldnt give Eyresey one more season?

if his age or fitness wasnt an issue, why wasnt he picked up by othert clubs?

he did have triasl with lower clubs

maybe it was just his time to finish

Completely wide of the mark on both counts, IMHO.

Eyres's legs had gone and he knew it. As mentioned, the fact nobody in League Two gave him a chance tells the story.

Mark Hughes was simply one of those lads who could never build enough stamina to run around for 90 minutes, 40-odd games a season. His inexorable descent from promising youngster at Tottenham to non-league is ample proof of that.

So, players released because they didn't fit in... very difficult to say. There's those like Butcher who were never given a chance by the fans, there are the criminally insane like Allan Smart. The one in recent times you could argue a case for is Neil Kilkenny - although he would probably have gone anyway, I'm fairly certain that for all his ability on the pitch there weren't many people at the club who were sorry to see the back of the jumped up little git.