More scaremongering?

Tax bill

..or just another reminder of the perilous nature of football finance. Here it's Rangers, yesterday I read about the possibilkity of Coventry going into administration. If Simon Corney can keep us afloat, no matter how perilously, then fair play to him. But I'll remind everyone of the not wholly popular view that people who stay away are doing nothing to help the club by such action.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Downboats on this?

He makes a very valid point, if you don't stump up the cash to go to the games, buy shirts or other tat from the shop then we don't get money in and will go bust.

Very true, and nothing could be simpler than that really. Which leaves one big question, what needs to be done to get them back in?

Fundamentally:

1. Reduce admission price.

2. Win games.

Both or either/or. Sort that out and the rest will slot into place.

Very true, and nothing could be simpler than that really. Which leaves one big question, what needs to be done to get them back in?

Fundamentally:

1. Reduce admission price

2. Win games.

Better quality shirts too

Fundamentally:

2. Win games.

Rebuild The Lookers

We've lost 1500 die hard regulars since the premature demolision of the best stand that we had

Rebuild The Lookers

We've lost 1500 die hard regulars since the premature demolision of the best stand that we had

I have no doubt that is one of the factors of the drop in attendance, although it's one which is hard to justify in rebuilding especially with 3000 crowds.

Fundamentally:

2. Win games.

What would you say would be the optimum reduced admission price, to make a significant increase in gate receipts and other match-day income?

I agree but when we were winning games at the start of the season (seems like ages ago now) people still weren't coming through the gates so not sure winning games would work!

Have to say it's not a nice experience at BP with only 3 stands, no atmosphere at all but I believe Dickov is doing the right things and should be given as much time as he needs.

Tax bill

..or just another reminder of the perilous nature of football finance. Here it's Rangers, yesterday I read about the possibilkity of Coventry going into administration. If Simon Corney can keep us afloat, no matter how perilously, then fair play to him. But I'll remind everyone of the not wholly popular view that people who stay away are doing nothing to help the club by such action.

Administration is proving an easy way out, a 10 points deduction is clearly no deterrent, perhaps the threat of being kicked out of the league might force some to budget better.

I always feel for the small businesses who are hit most when a club goes into administration.

Edited by BP1960

What would you say would be the optimum reduced admission price, to make a significant increase in gate receipts and other match-day income?

Ironically, that's the million dollar question. Latics are in the unfavourable position of not being able to reduce the ticket price. I suppose there is only one thing left to do, win games.

I agree but when we were winning games at the start of the season (seems like ages ago now) people still weren't coming through the gates so not sure winning games would work!

Of course winning games will work, keep winning and it eventially leads to some success. The good start that we witnessed at the begining of the season was flimsy at best, and let's not forget, this season - through the mystery of time - came after last seasons debacle. The rot had set in way before a ball was kicked in this seasons campaign.

Unless something remarkable has changed regarding the clubs finances then its going to take more than a couple of stay aways to start coming back for us to be saved...

Hence why I feel no guilt by not coming. I know my £20 would only go towards reducing the weekly debt which sounds like a complete and utter waste of my money. We pay players too much money. Sort that out and save the club.

Fundamentally:

2. Win games.

Trouble is Rummy producing a winning team where punters pay less to get in costs money where is that coming from?

Unless something remarkable has changed regarding the clubs finances then its going to take more than a couple of stay aways to start coming back for us to be saved...

Hence why I feel no guilt by not coming. I know my £20 would only go towards reducing the weekly debt which sounds like a complete and utter waste of my money. We pay players too much money. Sort that out and save the club.

If we didn't pay the players wages that they want then we don't get the players that we need to be successful then we don't move anyway simple as.

If we didn't pay the players wages that they want then we don't get the players that we need to be successful then we don't move anyway simple as.

I know the theory... Every club in the country operates it Lee.. and its the reason why our problems are bigger than pulling "normal" sized gates for this league...

Trouble is Rummy producing a winning team where punters pay less to get in costs money where is that coming from?

Precisely.

Latics can either:

1. Win and keep winning; eventually success of promotion will occur.

2. Get lucky with a Value team of youth, loanees and journeymen.

3. A billionaire buys the club and showers Boundary Park in gold.

Problem with option one is that it needs money to maintain a fairly high divisional calibre of player. Latics do not have any money or the staff to accomplish this, so they will have to persevere with option two. How long will this take? Well, we know it will take longer than 15 years, and in no small part attendances fall as a result this.

Option three's problem speaks for itself.

Latics are stuck in option two. We can blame the public if you like, blame them for not turning up to watch inconsistent strangers that's presented as £20 worth of football - or you can look to The Board of Directors for a catalogue of planning blunders and poor managerial decisions, alongside the incompetence of a local council who I'm fairly certain want a football club in the borough, but are just too weak to make it work.

So basically we are traped in a vicious circle Pete's right we need more fans to keep the club going/give us the opportunity to have that extra sgning/make us more attractive proporsition for option 3. But Rummy your also right we can't blame the public and make people part with £20 for the sake of it especially when we have had so many false dawns.

Me personally I'm still keeping the faith and will keep going and will buy my season ticket aslong as we are at BP next season. Thats not a badge of honour I'm not asking to be lauded for thats my choice. I keep going because of the hope that things can get better. I started supporting us in 1990 I jumped on that bandwaggon and enjoyed the ride. But if it hadn't been for those who hadn't kept going before that, and all the history books show that their were plenty bleak times before 1990 then we wouldn't have had those years and good memories and wouldn't be sat here in 2011 on a friday night talking about it as OAFC would have long bitten the dust.

...we need more fans to keep the club going/give us the opportunity to have that extra sgning/make us more attractive proporsition

But this can't happen without investment. So Latics have to carry on as they are...