More scaremongering?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax bill

..or just another reminder of the perilous nature of football finance. Here it's Rangers, yesterday I read about the possibilkity of Coventry going into administration. If Simon Corney can keep us afloat, no matter how perilously, then fair play to him. But I'll remind everyone of the not wholly popular view that people who stay away are doing nothing to help the club by such action.

Rangers used to be the richEst club in the UK....THE SCUM at one time used to sell their draw tickets.........now if they went bust ? Scottish football really does become the pub league...Celtic also go down the tube.......which will be a good thing..I hate the green wanna be paddies.....let them rot in hell

Rangers used to be the richEst club in the UK....THE SCUM at one time used to sell their draw tickets.........now if they went bust ? Scottish football really does become the pub league...Celtic also go down the tube.......which will be a good thing..I hate the green wanna be paddies.....let them rot in hell

I find it strange that Scottish football can generate such emotions.

For me, it's meaningless.

As a kid it was 2 minutes of highlights of their cup final on BBC1 at 5pm after the English FA Cup Final had been shown. Team will silly names. Playing each other far too many times a season and a raised eyebrow if Dundee United <or insert alternative pointless Scottish team> progressed to the second round of the UEFA Cup.

Hate? It's not worth the effort.

See option 3.

So to summarise,we have to rely on a billionaire buying the Club and showering Boundary Park in gold, so that success can be bought and the missing Latics fans can be enticed back to BP at reduced admission prices. Meanwhile there is no point attending.

So to summarise,we have to rely on a billionaire buying the Club and showering Boundary Park in gold, so that success can be bought and the missing Latics fans can be enticed back to BP at reduced admission prices. Meanwhile there is no point attending.

From where I stand that is pretty much the case unless we are going to start getting realistic and run the club to its means...

Saying that, there is a point in attending. If you want to see a football match, have a day out and happy spending £20 for it then there is plenty point in turning up. This mythical idea that by simply turning up we save the club is just plain wrong though. The way the whole game operates needs to change for that to happen. Plus other teams show that pulling bigger crowds just sees clubs paying bigger wages and still losing money.

Its a mess.. and its beyond the likes of me sorting it out DS. Its a real shame you don't see it.

Edited by oafc0000

*sigh*

Ultimately to get fans back Latics need success, to get the success they either have to:

win and win big with what they can scrape together on a budget - a waiting game however how long have we got.

find a huge investment to fund a large capable squad - not beyond the realms of impossibility although let's be rational about this Terry, it needs a massive effort by the Board of Directors (yikes) and stroke of luck considering what is on offer to be purchased.

the other option I mentioned to get fans back does not rely on success and is quickly thrown out, and rightly so - reduce ticket prices similar to Bradford. This won't work, and Bradford are a model of why this doesn't work.

I find on here that when it comes down to mentally managing the plight of Latics and its current situation, people throw rationale out of the window. I admire you for remain upbeat Terry, I really do. The 2500 or 3000 attending fans are not flogging a dead horse, they are still going to BP in hope, and I admire them for that also; however like I have said before, it is futile to expect everybody to be like that. Accept not going as a valid choice considering the status of Oldham Athletic in today's market at the moment.

From where I stand that is pretty much the case unless we are going to start getting realistic and run the club to its means...

Saying that, there is a point in attending. If you want to see a football match, have a day out and happy spending £20 for it then there is plenty point in turning up. This mythical idea that by simply turning up we save the club is just plain wrong though. The way the whole game operates needs to change for that to happen. Plus other teams show that pulling bigger crowds just sees clubs paying bigger wages and still losing money.

Its a mess.. and its beyond the likes of me sorting it out DS. Its a real shame you don't see it.

I see all too clearly that it's a mess, and it's beyond the likes of me and my fellow Club supporters to sort it out. Any assistance would be received gratefully.

....there is a point in attending. If you want to see a football match, have a day out and happy spending £20 for it then there is plenty point in turning up. This mythical idea that by simply turning up we save the club is just plain wrong though. The way the whole game operates needs to change for that to happen. Plus other teams show that pulling bigger crowds just sees clubs paying bigger wages and still losing money.

Upboat. I agree.

*sigh*

Ultimately to get fans back Latics need success, to get the success they either have to:

win and win big with what they can scrape together on a budget - a waiting game however how long have we got.

find a huge investment to fund a large capable squad - not beyond the realms of impossibility although let's be rational about this Terry, it needs a massive effort by the Board of Directors (yikes) and stroke of luck considering what is on offer to be purchased.

the other option I mentioned to get fans back does not rely on success and is quickly thrown out, and rightly so - reduce ticket prices similar to Bradford. This won't work, and Bradford are a model of why this doesn't work.

I find on here that when it comes down to mentally managing the plight of Latics and its current situation, people throw rationale out of the window. I admire you for remain upbeat Terry, I really do. The 2500 or 3000 attending fans are not flogging a dead horse, they are still going to BP in hope, and I admire them for that also; however like I have said before, it is futile to expect everybody to be like that. Accept not going as a valid choice considering the status of Oldham Athletic in today's market at the moment.

We'll keep doing our best to help keep the Club afloat, until circumstances are suitable for the missing silent majority to return.

*sigh*

Biggest negative as I see it is that the people of Oldham and the (so called) non-attending, former Oldham 'til I die 'diehards' (erm... indeed) have taken a notional, lofty position above the problem in an attempt to justify their loss of 'The Faith'. If only these folk could see and understand the direct damage they are inflicting on Their Club then surely most would return.

I admire Diego for his positiveness and I fall into the edge his category of fan, I can't miss a game at home or I reasonably local away game without regret. But Rummy and OAFC000 surely you didn't start supporting Oldham Athletic for Champion's League Nights at BP or promotion after promotion did you? The type of football is no worse than John Kelly, Paul Heaton, Jim Steele and Mike Cecere days! But I know to you guys it feels different.

It is easy to forget that in those days, we didn't know that Joe Royle and Wembley were around the corner, how could we?

We have played some excellent football in the first half of the season but the Penney Hangover lasted too long for many fans. This season was a new beginning in many ways for The Latics.

It is a shame that it was completely missed by many many fans who were due some excitement at Boundary Park after seasons of sub-standard dross. The fans who attended enjoyed what they saw and some came away with renewed optimism. Sadly though, the fans who missed it are still judging us with outdated opinions. I take the point about the turnover of players and it doesn't help, but Paul Dickov seems to know where the performance level needs to be and what type of player he requires.

The message from an attending diehard is this, "We have moved forward a long way this season, really!"

But Rummy and OAFC000 surely you didn't start supporting Oldham Athletic for Champion's League Nights at BP or promotion after promotion did you?

First game was in 1987... So I had a pretty decent introduction to watching Latics you could say... What was a mad 10 years or so... I was well and truly hooked when it all went down the pan and we slowly slipped down the league structure.

The performances didn't drive me away... The game just isn't the same anymore and more to the point neither am I. Got a kid etc now and I would rather spend my Saturdays with her. and that is without getting back into my points about wasting my money on the club when it won't help itself etc.

So no, I was never looking for Champions League nights...

Edited by oafc0000

Its an age old problem and that is many of the so called oldham fans who used to watch us now go and watch city or utd, there are even a few lads who i know who go and watch liverpool, im one of them. There are some lads who used to come to games from Bury, but they now have reverted to their home town team, what i get from them is that they are playing good stuff so they may as well watch them. I used to be a season ticket holder from 1988 to 1995, then after that i started going to just away games, purely for the better atmosphere, then with work i started going to just a few home games and it has now dwindled to about half a dozen games a year that i watch the team. I am not sure what would entice me back to watching latics full time when for a few quid more i can watch premier league football.

Its an age old problem and that is many of the so called oldham fans who used to watch us now go and watch city or utd, there are even a few lads who i know who go and watch liverpool, im one of them. There are some lads who used to come to games from Bury, but they now have reverted to their home town team, what i get from them is that they are playing good stuff so they may as well watch them. I used to be a season ticket holder from 1988 to 1995, then after that i started going to just away games, purely for the better atmosphere, then with work i started going to just a few home games and it has now dwindled to about half a dozen games a year that i watch the team. I am not sure what would entice me back to watching latics full time when for a few quid more i can watch premier league football.

Doesn't explain those who don't go to other clubs and don't go to Latics either.

If the grand old club went to the wall I'd like to think I hadn't turned my back on it in its times of need.

Edited by LaticsPete

Pulling normal sized gates won't see us turn a profit unless something magical has happened with the books...

But football clubs aren't in the business of making profits. They're in the business of winning football matches. Indeed the company aspect of a football club exists merely to enable the paying of wages to professional players, in order to win football matches. It doesn't exist to enable the paying of a dividend to shareholders.

Doesn't explain those who don't go to other clubs and don't go to Latics either.

If the grand old club went to the wall I'd like to think I hadn't turned my back on it in its times of need.

Well said Pete.

Season tickets sales need to be increased and not decreased next season.

IMO a Paul Scholes signing could be a big booster in that respect (remember the Bobby Johnstone effect) Latics wouldn't get 17,000 for his debut but 7,000 could be a possibility.

Edited by BP1960

Of course winning games will work, keep winning and it eventially leads to some success. The good start that we witnessed at the begining of the season was flimsy at best, and let's not forget, this season - through the mystery of time - came after last seasons debacle. The rot had set in way before a ball was kicked in this seasons campaign.

as

only way crowds will come back is when we are in championship, as people wont pay to see likes of dog-dale, Exeter and Yeovilas alot of fans only interested in glory.

Also word of mouth that Paul Dickov has the lads playing decent (can't say great) football but 50000% better then penney and i have got to hold my hands up only attended 2 games due to work and the uninspiring way that mr penney tactics didn't work.

But football clubs aren't in the business of making profits. They're in the business of winning football matches. Indeed the company aspect of a football club exists merely to enable the paying of wages to professional players, in order to win football matches. It doesn't exist to enable the paying of a dividend to shareholders.

Who said anything about a dividend...

If you find issue with the phrase turn a profit then how about break even...

Losing money in the business can not be sustained unless some rich man with more money than sense can be found....

Edited by oafc0000

Next programme will see houses for sale advertisement on Boundary Park. Though I doubt we'll get news of a new ground in there place just yet! is that scaremongering?

Certainly not if its true and Ive no reason to believe you would lie whats your :sauce: I'd be very disturbed if I saw this even if we get an announcement on a new stadium first lets face it we don't have a good track record on this.

Certainly not if its true and Ive no reason to believe you would lie whats your :sauce: I'd be very disturbed if I saw this even if we get an announcement on a new stadium first lets face it we don't have a good track record on this.

I believe it's true. However we won't have long to wait and see!

Please, feel free to not reply should you not like or comprehend a point. :rolleyes:

You are talking about something I never said... You can turn a profit without paying a dividend...

Your point is a really really :censored: one to be frank. Like most your points. Feel free to ignore the fact that the business side of latics must work for Latics to survive and pay those very wages.

:clown:

Edited by oafc0000