When it all boils down to it

People are just sick of us being crap. The interest level drops off the worse we get and for how long we are crap. For some people their level was the premier league, for the second tier, for some they could hack a few years at this level and for others they could hack 8-9 and its got to be too much.

There will be excuses, by many, but if we win the league by 20 points next year I guarentee our last few home games will sell out (or be very close) to selling out. Where are they now?

I myself haven't been to half as many away games, If we were doing well - that would change. I only got a season ticket this season (and am about to renew) because if I stop going, I know I wont start again. I am expecting sod all, I'm forcing myself to go in some ways.

People look for excuses -

"The badge is naff" - Are you honestly that bothered that it'd stop you going? QPR's new badge wasn't liked by more than a few and they have seen crowds pick up cos of results. Its results driven, be honest.

"Badge is too American". Next time you go to Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves or Lancashire Lightning vs Middlesex Sabres please complain about the Americanisation in football and of Latics. If we were doing well, you wouldn't complain about it.

"Its too expensive" - Granted I think its far too expensive. Thats football's issue not Latics. Dont blame us for that. If we were doing well, you'd forget the price (or look past it)

"The Lookers isn't there any more" - Neither's standing, but we were doing reasonably well when you were told to sit down and you stayed. Is it cos we are tripe now?

One thing thats seriously put me off Latics in the last few years is the fans and the inbred mentality. Everything was better and no matter what we do it isn't as good as it was. At one game this season Dean Furman was getting dogs abuse by the bloke behind me and I said "what are you going on about? Hes been our best player for weeks" His response "Hes no Nick Henry is he?" At that point I just started laughing. Again though, its results driven, they wouldn't bother me as much.

Its all about the fact we have had years of poor performance. Lets just be honest.

Edited by pukka

People are just sick of us being crap. The interest level drops off the worse we get and for how long we are crap. For some people their level was the premier league, for the second tier, for some they could hack a few years at this level and for others they could hack 8-9 and its got to be too much.

There will be excuses, by many, but if we win the league by 20 points next year I guarentee our last few home games will sell out (or be very close) to selling out. Where are they now?

I myself haven't been to half as many away games, If we were doing well - that would change. I only got a season ticket this season (and am about to renew) because if I stop going, I know I wont start again. I am expecting sod all, I'm forcing myself to go in some ways.

"The badge is naff" - Are you honestly that bothered that it'd stop you going? QPR's new badge wasn't liked by more than a few and they have seen crowds pick up cos of results. Its results driven, be honest.

"Badge is too American". Next time you go to Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves or Lancashire Lightning vs Middlesex Sabres please complain about the Americanisation in football and of Latics. If we were doing well, you wouldn't complain about it.

"Its too expensive" - Granted I think its far too expensive. Thats football's issue not Latics. Dont blame us for that. If we were doing well, you'd forget the price (or look past it)

"The Lookers isn't there any more" - Neither's standing, but we were doing reasonably well when you were told to sit down and you stayed. Is it cos we are tripe now?

One thing thats seriously put me off Latics in the last few years is the fans and the inbred mentality. Everything was better and no matter what we do it isn't as good as it was. At one game this season Dean Furman was getting dogs abuse by the bloke behind me and I said "what are you going on about? Hes been our best player for weeks" His response "Hes no Nick Henry is he?" At that point I just started laughing. Again though, its results driven, they wouldn't bother me as much.

Its all about the fact we have had years of poor performance. Lets just be honest.

Brilliant post pukka. Like i said last night, there are too many latics fans living in the past. I like the new branding etc many wont, but its a piss poor excuse to not go to latics.

He has a point though hasn’t he? :wink:

Nice post though – especially the point about season tickets. I agree; If i didn’t commit to a season ticket and went to pick & choose; I think if i was being honest with myself; I’d choose to not to go to more than I did do. The season ticket means I’m going; regardless of crap Penney-esq football!

Attending football is a habit.

When you stop going your interest wanes.

No one remembers joy of pain a day after it happens. Which is why Murdochs Premier League works so well. Watch it on tele mildly enjoy it watch it again.

As opposed to going, where you will love it and be willing to go to Plymouth away on a Tuesday night.

Stop going and it won't be too long before you are sat on a Saturday afternoon waiting for the next advert on the tele so you can put the kettle on.

I admit, I AM living in the past when it comes down to success. If we want to think about success at Latics, we all have to. My Grandad used to remember the post WWII era and my dad used to tell me of a time when we loaned the Reds a load of our players during/after the war and never got them back.

I want success at Latics, but actually to be more correct, I want success BACK. We can do it. We have the seeds of a decent squad but I think what gets my goat is the complete indifference of the general Oldham populace. Remember Littlewoods cup final? The town EMPTIED! Where were they last week?

We are and always have been a selling club. Breed the good players then make money off them. Then start again. Shame.

One thing about the past that I REALLY would like back is canny transfer buys. The Earl Barretts, the Paul Warhursts, Tommy Wright, Ian Marshall, Frankie Bunn, Andy Ritchie and Ricky Holden. (Neil Adams to some extent, always thought he was a luxury in a winning side :wink: ). Nick Henry was awesome, you have to admit that. Remember THAT goal against Liverpool?

Time will tell if Dickov has that transfer cannyness. I'm not sure about Taggart, that seems more of an old boys network, but I'd like more of Dickov's purchases/loans to show their potential sooner on the field. (Warren Feeney anyone? Looked a good buy at the time.)

It will take time, whether we as fans have that much patience anymore is the question.

Some very valid points but I think the main issue has become the fact that we still appear to be moving backwards year-on-year. Can anyone really see us leaving this division in the right direction in the next five years? I can't and I don't believe the people in control of the club can see a way, if they're even looking, to make that happen.

I think when it all boils down to it, in 5 or 10 years time, we will look back and see that so few stood up and be counted, that stuck through thick and thin, and the main person that did not give up was someone flown in from America and is a Londoner by birth.

I really hope he is too far downt he road to walk away now.

Lets hope behind the scenes there is steady activity with the coiuncil.

Some very valid points but I think the main issue has become the fact that we still appear to be moving backwards year-on-year. Can anyone really see us leaving this division in the right direction in the next five years? I can't and I don't believe the people in control of the club can see a way, if they're even looking, to make that happen.

+1 Stevie J. although if I asked you the question 'what league do you think we will be in 5 years time, what would your honest answer be?

Re the initial post, I hide behind no excuse regarding the reason I have stopped going, whilst at the same time trying to justify myself as a die hard fan. The short story is I don't attend the games any more as I no longer enjoy it. The reason why I don't enjoy it can be summed up in 2 words, "Boundary Park", although the proportion of inbred small town mentatilty fans stuck in the late 80's/early 90's who can't accept that we are a struggling division three club rather than a premier league club has taken a big toll. Whilst I will still actively look out for the clubs results and will try to support the club financially in other ways ie PlayerShare, 2010/2011 is definitely my last season as a season ticket holder as long as we are at Boundary Park.

Anybody who once went regularly will have their own valid reasons for not going now (I am one) and may well go again the future (I certainly will). But just like any other consumer product where there are readies (and wives) that dictate the decision (as not all fans have Latics planted in their hearts,) there will always be fans who 'stop' going for one reason or another.

There is no single reason generally, why fans just don't go anymore and those who are going regularly now are not the first or last to have ever done that either.

If you still go regularly and don't enjoy it - fair play. If you still go regularly and LOVE it - great stuff, hope you continue to enjoy.

For those who've stopped - fair play, your reasons will be yours and justified.

To those do-gooders who believe that they are the first and last fan to stay 'loyal through thick and thin' - Get over yourselves.

Edited by futchers briefs

+1 Stevie J. although if I asked you the question 'what league do you think we will be in 5 years time, what would your honest answer be?

Re the initial post, I hide behind no excuse regarding the reason I have stopped going, whilst at the same time trying to justify myself as a die hard fan. The short story is I don't attend the games any more as I no longer enjoy it. The reason why I don't enjoy it can be summed up in 2 words, "Boundary Park", although the proportion of inbred small town mentatilty fans stuck in the late 80's/early 90's who can't accept that we are a struggling division three club rather than a premier league club has taken a big toll. Whilst I will still actively look out for the clubs results and will try to support the club financially in other ways ie PlayerShare, 2010/2011 is definitely my last season as a season ticket holder as long as we are at Boundary Park.

Shame that. But if you don't enjoy it then there's little point in buying a season ticket.

A wider point to everyone : This stuff about our fans being negative and small/narrow-minded though..it seems to crop up a lot. But do we not think this is a common theme throughout football fans of many clubs up and down the country ? I'm not so sure how people measure this and come up with a result that says our lot are really bad...I've seen a lot of narrow-mindedness and plain stupidity at BP and on here but then I've seen as much of it from fans of Rochdale, City, United, Bradford, Leeds - basically most other clubs who's fans I have spent a bit of time with - as well on other club's forums. What makes us so bad ? Most match-going Latics fans I know are, to be honest, proper football fans who know a bit about the game, get on with other fans of other clubs, and generally accept that we are :censored:. Far from the narrow-minded and backward-looking that some on here portray them as. I know there was a lot of opposition to Failsworth, but this was to be expected, surely. Look at Everton and the lengths some of their fans went to when opposing a move to Kirby.

Anybody who once went regularly will have their own valid reasons for not going now (I am one) and may well go again the future (I certainly will). But just like any other consumer product where there are readies (and wives) that dictate the decision (as not all fans have Latics planted in their hearts,) there will always be fans who 'stop' going for one reason or another.

There is no single reason generally, why fans just don't go anymore and those who are going regularly now are not the first or last to have ever done that either.

If you still go regularly and don't enjoy it - fair play. If you still go regularly and LOVE it - great stuff, hope you continue to enjoy.

For those who've stopped - fair play, your reasons will be yours and justified.

To those do-gooders who believe that they are the first and last fan to stay 'loyal through thick and thin' - Get over yourselves.

I am certainly not one of those. As I said in my original post I haven't been to half as many games as I used to. I think on thursday I was just pissed off with comments about the badge such as "I'm not going any more".

I am certainly not one of those. As I said in my original post I haven't been to half as many games as I used to. I think on thursday I was just pissed off with comments about the badge such as "I'm not going any more".

You do not need to quantify yourself being 'one of those' as i've not referred to you as the OP as that.

SholverBlue, on 30 April 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Swindon were already relegated and playing a Northern team who don't appeal to them and got 7K.

There's no excuses for our crowds, I saw plenty of Chelski and Man Ure fans in Swindon.

Spot on!

Not quite spot on - Swindon has no other league club within thirty miles - how many have we got?

Swindon were already relegated and playing a Northern team who don't appeal to them and got 7K.

There's no excuses for our crowds, I saw plenty of Chelski and Man Ure fans in Swindon.

Not quite spot on - Swindon has no other league club within thirty miles - how many have we got?

Oxford ;) but still Gloryhunters will be Gloryhunters. There are as many Man Ure in Surrey and Essex as there are in Lancashire. They have 333 million fans worldwide. Besides, Man Ure play mostly on a Sunday anyway. What's to say they can't have a healthy interest in Latics.

We can't always use that excuse.

Edited by SholverBlue

PS, this Secure topic thing is doing my head in.

they sold a lot more season tickets (I think it was something like 5,000) on the back of their successful season in 2009/10

but a Swindon fans excuse would be that the population within a 30 mile radius would be around 600k, whereas what is the population within a 30 mile radius of Oldham?