Alan Hardy steps down from Board; still Chief Exec

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Alan well with his health and hope this doesn't mean he's had further bad news on that front.

But how can someone continue to operate as Chief Exec and not be a director of the Board? The roles are far from mutually exclusive. Not only that, he's Co. Secretary, a role which, even if not officially director of the Board, would generally involve active participation with the Board and its meetings.

Could it be in-part the fact that things have soured somewhat between him and Corney?

I wish Alan well with his health and hope this doesn't mean he's had further bad news on that front.

But how can someone continue to operate as Chief Exec and not be a director of the Board? The roles are far from mutually exclusive. Not only that, he's Co. Secretary, a role which, even if not officially director of the Board, would generally involve active participation with the Board and its meetings.

Could it be in-part the fact that things have soured somewhat between him and Corney?

I don't know where these stories come from, Alan and Simon Corney were sat next to each other each at the recent youth cup final and were laughing and joking with each other.

Edited by BP1960

The man is Latics to the core , a true gentleman without him there would not be a club to support would it be amiss to surgest the club puts together a tribute

match to express their thanks after all dont players get a testemonial for ten years loyalty Alan has put thirty years dedication in .

Best wishes to Alan and I hope his health problems are not too serious. Like many have said he does an awful lot of work for this club and it is a bit disconcerting the lack of continuity that seems to be going on.

In the vast majority of companies the Chief Exec is not a member of the Board of Directors. He/she will report to it, sit in on most meetings, and give advice - but is not an actual Director. It is the Board that hires/fires Chief Execs and the dual role can cause problems.

When Stuart Rose assumed both roles as Chairman and Chief Exec of M & S there was a lot of criticism.

In the vast majority of companies the Chief Exec is not a member of the Board of Directors. He/she will report to it, sit in on most meetings, and give advice - but is not an actual Director. It is the Board that hires/fires Chief Execs and the dual role can cause problems.

When Stuart Rose assumed both roles as Chairman and Chief Exec of M & S there was a lot of criticism.

In my experience a company Chief Exec is invariably on the Board. I expect the fuss with Rose was more around the fact that he also assumed the role of Chairman, rather than his position as a Board Director per se.

Sorry, didn't see this topic had started and therefore had started my own!

I've disagreed with some of Alan's decisions and and agreed with others. I haven't always liked what he has done for or to the club but I would never wish ill to him.

Good luck Alan.

Yes but the Chief Exec would still be expected to attend most (if not all) board meetings whether a Director or not. And doesn't the Company Secretary minute board meetings?

Good luck Alan.

Yes but the Chief Exec would still be expected to attend most (if not all) board meetings whether a Director or not. And doesn't the Company Secretary minute board meetings?

Good luck Alan.

Yes, and is responsible for ensuring Board Resolutions are implemented.

Difficult one to understand. Being on the Board while it brings with it a different level of responsibility would not normally add much to the stress/workload of a Chief Executive.Could understand more leaving Chief Exec and staying on the Board in a non executive capacity.

Nevertheless, good luck Alan hope the change helps you to a speedy recovery

Nonsense - speaking as a company secretary. Yes the roles of Chairman and Chief exec are usually split for good governance purposes but I have never come across a company where the CEO is not on the board.

To add more specifically - I have had a lot of dealings with Alan over the years and have found him to be unfailingly helpful, courteous and dedicated.

I wish him all the best and hope he returns to good health sooner rather than later.

Edited by Dave_Og

Nonsense - speaking as a company secretary. Yes the roles of Chairman and Chief exec are usually split for good governance purposes but I have never come across a company where the CEO is not on the board.

To add more specifically - I have had a lot of dealings with Alan over the years and have found him to be unfailingly helpful, courteous and dedicated.

I wish him all the best and hope he returns to good health sooner rather than later.

I respect your experiences but mine are different so let's not "nonsense" one another. There are bound to be different scenarios - one view is expressed below.

The main point is that Alan is a top person who has, and will continue to, put Latics first.

A chief executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of total management of a corporation, company, organization, or agency, reporting to the board of directors.

A chair-person is selected by a company's board to lead the board of directors, preside over meetings, and lead the board to consensus from the disparate points of view of its members. The chair is the presiding director over the other directors on the board and is expected to be fair, a good listener, and a good communicator. Directors have a high level of fiduciary responsibility for overseeing the operation of a corporation

This point has more recently been brought into focus after corporate governance shortcomings were observed in companies where the two roles are combined. It is believed that the separation of functions within the board of directors or in the structure of the supervisory board and management board would facilitate control over the workings of the company and increase the accountability of the CEO or chair of the management board.

Managing director is the term used for the chief executive of many limited companies in the United Kingdom, Commonwealth and some other English speaking countries. The title reflects their role as both a member of the Board of Directors but also as the senior manager.

Source(s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managing_Director

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chairman

3 years ago Report Abuse

Edited by LaticsPete

I respect your experiences but mine are different so let's not "nonsense" one another. There are bound to be different scenarios - one view is expressed below.

The main point is that Alan is a top person who has, and will continue to, put Latics first.

A chief executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of total management of a corporation, company, organization, or agency, reporting to the board of directors.

A chair-person is selected by a company's board to lead the board of directors, preside over meetings, and lead the board to consensus from the disparate points of view of its members. The chair is the presiding director over the other directors on the board and is expected to be fair, a good listener, and a good communicator. Directors have a high level of fiduciary responsibility for overseeing the operation of a corporation

This point has more recently been brought into focus after corporate governance shortcomings were observed in companies where the two roles are combined. It is believed that the separation of functions within the board of directors or in the structure of the supervisory board and management board would facilitate control over the workings of the company and increase the accountability of the CEO or chair of the management board.

Managing director is the term used for the chief executive of many limited companies in the United Kingdom, Commonwealth and some other English speaking countries. The title reflects their role as both a member of the Board of Directors but also as the senior manager.

Source(s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managing_Director

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chairman

3 years ago Report Abuse

A CEO does report to the Board, nobody's disputing that. But all the CEOs I've run into are one of the directors on said Board and nothing in those Wikipedia links suggests anything to the contrary.

A CEO does report to the Board, nobody's disputing that. But all the CEOs I've run into are one of the directors on said Board and nothing in those Wikipedia links suggests anything to the contrary.

Have the last word by all means but as I've said we have different experiences...

Nonsense - Speaking as a CEO, i agree with Dave Ogden

.....and please......Wikipilocrap for goodness sake!

I was aware that his health had got worse recently and expected him to reduce his workload. His work for the club should not be underestimated. He seemed to be always around. Thos ewho regularly attended reserve games would confirm he was in attendance for almost every match. He would give out team sheets to supporters and always answer questions about the club politely and with as much openess as was possible. It will be hard to find a replacement for such a tireless worker. I hope you get better Allan and look forward to seeing you at the start of next season.

Unless there is a legal requirement which states that a CEO has to be a board member, isn't this a pointless argument.

You're right.

It seems that some think that as AH won't be on the Board Latics are going to hell in a handcart or that we are reshaping the world of corporate structures.

AH will still be around to give advice and that's the significant plus from all this.

Now..absolutely..definitely..no more from me on CEXs and Directors. Promise

From the Institute of Directors Website:

The role of the managing director /chief executive

The managing director/chief executive is the most senior

full-time executive of the company (except when there is

an executive chairman). The role of managing director and

chief executive are virtually the same. (The latter title

originally comes from the US.)

The managing director/chief executive is responsible for

the performance of the company, as dictated by the

board’s overall strategy. He or she reports to the chairman

or board of directors.

Responsibilities include:

• formulating and successfully implementing company

policy;

• directing strategy towards the profitable growth and

operation of the company;

• developing strategic operating plans that reflect the

longer-term objectives and priorities established by

the board;

• maintaining an ongoing dialogue with the chairman of

the board;

• putting in place adequate operational planning and

financial control systems;

• ensuring that the operating objectives and standards

of performance are not only understood but owned

by the management and other employees;

• closely monitoring the operating and financial results

against plans and budgets;

• taking remedial action where necessary and

informing the board of significant changes;

• maintaining the operational performance of the

company;

• monitoring the actions of the functional board

directors;

• assuming full accountability to the board for all

company operations;

• representing the company to major customers and

professional associations;

• building and maintaining an effective executive team.

Unless there is a legal requirement which states that a CEO has to be a board member, isn't this a pointless argument.

100% agree. In general, small business CEOs are on the board and large organisation CEOs are usually either non-voting members of the board or not on the board at all.

Neither is the way it has to be, or has any sort of rules applied to it. If Oldham want Alan to be a CEO that is not on the board, they can.

You're right.

It seems that some think that as AH won't be on the Board Latics are going to hell in a handcart or that we are reshaping the world of corporate structures.

AH will still be around to give advice and that's the significant plus from all this.

Now..absolutely..definitely..no more from me on CEXs and Directors. Promise

Wow. You're getting carried away. My point was, I don't see how Alan not being a director but continuing to act as Chief Exec and Co. Sec. would significantly lighten his load.

But I do happen to think that his leaving the Boardroom will have a negative impact on the club.

executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of total management of a corporation, company, organization, or agency, reporting to the board of directors.

A

Sorry to "nonsense" - no intention to offend but that's misinterpreted. Yes a CEO reports to and is accountable to the board (and ultimately the chairman - hence the perceived bad practice for one man to fill both roles) but I'll stand by my view that he/she is always on the board. After all if the CEO is the highest ranking corporate officer it is a nonsense(sorry!)for them not to be part of its governing body.