BAE closure

We really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,

need to move.

I personally don't really give a :censored: if it's boarder line Manchester/Failsworth/Rochdale WHATEVER! BP is a shadow of the place it used to be.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there going to be trams running on the section of railway near the site?

No i dont think so, just on the line to Oldham, it splits around newton heath i think. The nearest staion would be Hollinwood which is around a mile away.

Great site. Would have massive potential in the area. Close to the motorway, railway and enough land for a first class stadium with a decent chance of getting new fans from the nearby areas. Just hope the stadium is along the lines of Hull City's ground or Huddersfield's Galpharm which have good design characteristics. One things for sure it must be looked at seriously and the sooner the better.

Good post. Perhaps not completely feasible, but nice to hear positivity. Being a Middleton lad myself originally, I know full well this is an odd town, no other like it. Such talent and ability derives from the very place, but it no longer has identity and I know no Middletonian would admit to being a part of Rochdale. Perhaps Middleton, home of Oldham Athletic AFC with a little bit of history could be a good thing for the town and club. Certainly worth thinking about? I definitely think we could attract a few more fans in our direction, without alienating current fans too much (MK Dons style).

Are there going to be trams running on the section of railway near the site?

No, there are no plans to convert that line to metrolink, as that track is the line that links Manchester Victoria to Leeds.

Theres a service every 30 mins to manc, and one every 30 mins to Rochdale (with one an hour going to Leeds).

.... Perhaps Middleton, home of Oldham Athletic AFC with a little bit of history could be a good thing for the town and club. Certainly worth thinking about? I definitely think we could attract a few more fans in our direction, without alienating current fans too much (MK Dons style).

In case anyone is confused, the site is not in Middleton, it's in Chadderton, Oldham. :pow:

Middletonians are welcome now and in the future, wherever Latics play.

In case anyone is confused, the site is not in Middleton, it's in Chadderton, Oldham. :pow:

Middletonians are welcome now and in the future, wherever Latics play.

IF you look at the address it seems like they cant even make their sodding minds up

Chadderton

Greengate

Middleton

Manchester

M24 1SA

Can see how that convo went

"We're in chadderton"

"No we're in Middleton"

"Chadderton"

"Middleton

"Chadderton

"MIDDLETON"

"I TELLS YERE WE'RE IN :censored:ING CHADDERTON"

":censored: it, we'll just stick both in the address and have done with it"

Anyone, like me, think that no news is good news as far as noises from the Council and SC regarding a new site?

Depends on what way you look at it. I would like to think that the club and council want to avoid another failsworth, and are taking the approach of not saying a word until they have really done their homework and research on potential new sites in order to make an informed decision.

IF you look at the address it seems like they cant even make their sodding minds up

Chadderton

Greengate

Middleton

Manchester

M24 1SA

If BAE haf not been so confused perhaps the closure would not have been necessary. :unsure:

C_71_article_1426037_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?07%2F07%2F2011%2011%3A26%3A41%3A620

The rarely-wrong Chron and Manc Evening News/Oldham Advertiser say it’s in Chadderton, Oldham.

Chadderton

Chadderton, Oldham

The Chadderton Historical society is proud of its AVRO (BAE) heritage.

Chadderton

So let's be 'avin' no more of this Middleton nonsense.

Any estimates on the size of the site? Assuming it is a goer?

There could be some niggly issues re the residents though. Most of the residential properties in the immediate area come under Manchester City Council.

Am not sure about Greengate East (although pretty sure that is only just considered part of Moston), but definitely the properties on Lightbowne Road, properties on Victoria Avenue, the stretch of hollinwood avenue from greengate roundabout to Owler Lane as well as the streets off it, such as Bradshaw Fold Avenue, Branston Road and St Margarets Road and St Margaret Mary's primary school are all under Manchester City Council.

So you have a situation where any final decision on the site re planning permission would be made by Oldham Council, yet most of the residential properties that would likely be affected come under Manchester City Council. What implications would that have?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I would guess that the value of the site will be too much for us but agree it would be difficult to find a better site for a new stadium.

The nearest houses are getting on for half a mile away on the other side of the motorway so any nimbys wouldn't have too much to object about!

I would guess that the value of the site will be too much for us but agree it would be difficult to find a better site for a new stadium.

The nearest houses are getting on for half a mile away on the other side of the motorway so any nimbys wouldn't have too much to object about!

Well its a bit less than half a mile, but agree there is alot less to worry about than Failsworth or Boundary Park.

Nearest supermarket is Morrisons on Hollinwood Avenue. Other near(ish) ones will be the Sainsburys near Heaton Park and Harpurhey Asda

There's a big Tesco in the middle of Middleton which might be nearer as the crow flies- so unless you can get Marks/Waitrose/Aldi/Lidl (although there's at least one of the last two in Middleton already) interested I doubt any supermarket will be all that bothered.

New Tesco currently being built at the junc'n of Vic Ave East and R/dale Rd too. Looks like it won't be a big one like Tesco Midd or Tesco O/m though.

BAE site would be far better than F/W for us, in my opinion. But it's probably about the best brownfield site in the Borough for leisure/retail development and would probably be out of our reach.

It's sad to see BAE close, but let's face it, It's been on the cards for years. And employing only 200 people, albeit mostly highly-skilled, the loss to the local economy would be dwarfed by the potential benefits of a new development in its place.

New Tesco currently being built at the junc'n of Vic Ave East and R/dale Rd too. Looks like it won't be a big one like Tesco Midd or Tesco O/m though.

BAE site would be far better than F/W for us, in my opinion. But it's probably about the best brownfield site in the Borough for leisure/retail development and would probably be out of our reach.

It's sad to see BAE close, but let's face it, It's been on the cards for years. And employing only 200 people, albeit mostly highly-skilled, the loss to the local economy would be dwarfed by the potential benefits of a new development in its place.

think the site would be better suited to just a stadium with conferencing and those kinda things....now hollinwood has been earmarked for a cinema and bowling alley,i doubt permission would be granted for any of those,maybe im wrong dunno...maybe something along the lines of the 5 a side pitches or indoor sports facilities could be added....parking wouldnt be a problem and residents wise....cant see it being more of a problem than the motorway extension was...

Thought the only way of affording a new stadium and surviving in the long term was the land and the facilities we'd put on it??

the council seem intent on building the cinema etc on their own so we will need to re-think on how else the income will come around.

Thought the only way of affording a new stadium and surviving in the long term was the land and the facilities we'd put on it??

Nope. They said we would of been self-sustainable on the BP site before the economic crisis and BP site is around 21 acres i think..

the council seem intent on building the cinema etc on their own so we will need to re-think on how else the income will come around.

We could still have bars, pubs, restaurants, a gym, hotel, conference facilities, 5 a side football pitches and a bowling alley.

We could still have bars, pubs, restaurants, a gym, hotel, conference facilities, 5 a side football pitches and a bowling alley.

council are talking bout doing the bowling alley. they want a retail park like ashton's so doubt we could do that but resteraunts and the like would be fine i would of thought