Sean Gregan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 10 Centre-Halves in my time (from November '86)

1. Kevin Moore

2. Richard Jobson

3. Earl Barrett

4. Craig Fleming

5. Andy Holden

6. Sean Gregan

7. Steve Redmond

8. Fitz Hall

9. Simon Webster

10. Clint Hill

I thought I was the only person who remembered Webster. He was a class act. Although we only saw him for a few games for me he was as good as anyone I have seen play at the back in a blue shirt.

Gregan had played at a consistantly higher lever than Fitz and Hill before he came to Latics

he moved to us because age and weight was catching up with him

In his pomp (granted it was elsewhere) but he was arguably a better player than those 2

captain of west brom playing in midfiled in the premiership (probaly during the dowie playoff season!)

Exactly, what was originally posted was one of the best central defenders to wear a blue shirt. In his time at Latics I wouldnt have said that. He came to us at the end of his career and did an average job. Hill and Hall were hitting their peak and therefore were miles better for LATICS. In his time elsewhere I didnt watch Gregan or take a hint of interest in him, but he certainly wasnt in the top 10 LATICS defenders. From what I have seen at BP Hall and Hill stand head and shoulders above Gregan

Exactly, what was originally posted was one of the best central defenders to wear a blue shirt. In his time at Latics I wouldnt have said that. He came to us at the end of his career and did an average job. Hill and Hall were hitting their peak and therefore were miles better for LATICS. In his time elsewhere I didnt watch Gregan or take a hint of interest in him, but he certainly wasnt in the top 10 LATICS defenders. From what I have seen at BP Hall and Hill stand head and shoulders above Gregan

you also stated that "look where they have gone onto" gragan was more successful that either of them.

all of them played in teams beaten in the playoffs with us - not a lot of diffrence except Gregan would have ripped Furlongs legs off and took a red when he went through a loftus rd

Amazed Paul Warhurst's name hasn't been mentioned.

Edited by stevectm

Hall and Hill only played 60 games between them. Greegs everyday of the week.

Hall and Hill were very good defenders in a very good side.. Hill broke his leg against Crystal Palace so not his fault he couldn't have as much as an impact..

Gregan was a brilliant player in a :censored: team.. kept us up of course, but i think i'd still go for Hall and Hill...

Average player for us? One mediocre season for us? So a player almost single handedly kept us up (waits for playitlivo to come and talk about Abbott also helping) and thats an average player for us, and a mediocre season for him? What would make him a good player for us and a good season for him? He might of been a fat lump and in his mid 30's, but he still dominated nearly every striker in division.

:nibble:

Gregan was decent but I wouldnt say he was as class as everyone makes out, I hated him while he was here, part of the reason our football under DP was :censored: was Gregans fault... Tackle, long ball into touch, pressure back on. Especially with this supposed midfield mentality, his distribution from the back was shocking at times. Bollocking the kids around him for his own faults, doesnt inspire me to agree with anyone that he was one of our best ever centre backs.

Hill and Hall were up against the likes of Dean Ashton, Rob Earnshaw, Nathan Ellington, that league that season was as good as some Championship seasons, theres no comparison to who the better players for Oldham were. Gregan may have had a glittering career but he wasnt this world class defender people make out when he was at Oldham, simple as.

So he didn't?

:angry: Merely saying you would soon be along to point out Abbott helped aswell (never mentioned he didn't help..)

:nibble:

Gregan was decent but I wouldnt say he was as class as everyone makes out, I hated him while he was here, part of the reason our football under DP was :censored: was Gregans fault... Tackle, long ball into touch, pressure back on. Especially with this supposed midfield mentality, his distribution from the back was shocking at times. Bollocking the kids around him for his own faults, doesnt inspire me to agree with anyone that he was one of our best ever centre backs.

Hill and Hall were up against the likes of Dean Ashton, Rob Earnshaw, Nathan Ellington, that league that season was as good as some Championship seasons, theres no comparison to who the better players for Oldham were. Gregan may have had a glittering career but he wasnt this world class defender people make out when he was at Oldham, simple as.

Football was :censored: under Penney was Gregans fault? Erm, how? Yes it was his fault about the tactics DP used. Maybe he had to play the long ball because their wasn't anyone available to pass to, you can't blame a player for the way an entire team plays, thats the managers fault as he chooses the tactics and how to play the players, not Gregan.

Gregan's been up against Van Nistelroy and Co, obviously no comparision there.

Warhurst?

Linighan?

Warhurst played games at cb, but played more games at fullback for us before Trevor francis signed him as a fullback/centre half before he became a striker and eventually a midfielder. Linighan I remember dropping any a bollock he was decent but loses out fir the same reason Marshall does. Wanted to include michel vonk but could only include 10 thought exactly what we lacked after we sold the ageing and increasingly injury prone jobbo just what we needed but stott wouldn't stump up...

I'm pleased this is being debated as I recall a time when there was but a small band of admirers on here. Indeed his popularity sank so low that, had it not been for the groundsman's objections, leeslover and I may not have been here today.

Do continue

I'm pleased this is being debated as I recall a time when there was but a small band of admirers on here. Indeed his popularity sank so low that, had it not been for the groundsman's objections, leeslover and I may not have been here today.

We always stood his corner against his many detractors, it gave me the greatest of pleasure to see him win player of the season in all the categories for which he was qualified.

I'm quite sure some posters on here have an IQ in single figures.

Gregan is a legend simply for keeping that gob:censored:e Beckford in his back pocket! I can't believe people are trying to belittle his impact.

Definately in my top ten

The monstering of Bas Savage at Gillingham was my favourite Gregan memory (well, the only bit suitable to be repeated on a family website). I thought he was going to cry.

my fave was when he got his chopper out at the dog's and put the club to more shame, YES WAT A LEGEND oh and he didnt stop there oh no the good old chap thought it would be cool to get done for drink and driving wow wat a role model.

100% in my top 10...................

We always stood his corner against his many detractors, it gave me the greatest of pleasure to see him win player of the season in all the categories for which he was qualified.

I'm quite sure some posters on here have an IQ in single figures.

You'll always do for me Hometownclub.

The monstering of Bas Savage at Gillingham was my favourite Gregan memory (well, the only bit suitable to be repeated on a family website). I thought he was going to cry.

That would be the occasion their gaffer angrily hauled Savage off first half for looking 'scared', right? :sign0068::laught30:

Bar his strut and general demeanour, I'm not sure what I found most entertaining about the big man. His cocksure manner of enforcement or his calmness in fooling a pressing cenre-forward with a drop of the shoulder or a Cruyff turn.

And he was the best passer on our books once Wellens left.

And he had a wank in a chippy.

Football legend - someone bring out a T-shirt. :dynamite:

my fave was when he got his chopper out at the dog's and put the club to more shame, YES WAT A LEGEND oh and he didnt stop there oh no the good old chap thought it would be cool to get done for drink and driving wow wat a role model.

100% in my top 10...................

Yes, because you base how good a player is on the field by what happens off field. But if you doing off field, how about when he went to a boot camp to lose to help him get a new contract?

Also didn't to he openly admit to being an idiot in his programme notes the season after, its obvious from other stuff he sadi that he was having personnal problems. We can't really condemm Gregan's off field behaviour when there are still people on here who would love Lee Hughes back, and he was one of the biggest morons to ever play here.