Was it a red?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What annoyed me about mellors free kick wsd ge had just lined it up and counted his steps etc. Deep breath and was ready to go when our tannoy announced the 4 mins stppoage time. Mellor stopped then and seemed to lose his focus. not saying he would have put it in top corner but it could have waited until he took it

What annoyed me about mellors free kick wsd ge had just lined it up and counted his steps etc. Deep breath and was ready to go when our tannoy announced the 4 mins stppoage time. Mellor stopped then and seemed to lose his focus. not saying he would have put it in top corner but it could have waited until he took it

Looked harsh to me - thought a yellow card would have covered it - but I'll be interested to see highlights.

Wasn't impressed with Gobern's reaction. He was ready to come back on and was then told he was bring subbed anyway so started hobbling again and was 'helped' away by the physio.

Shame about Diallo being suspended because, apart from a couple of occasions in the first half where he was caught out of position, I thought he played very well.

When it comes down to it though, its almost a natural reaction to think 'never a red' when your own man gets a straight red in a home game.

Theres only a handfull of games when we had an outfield player getting a straight red at Boundary Park when I thought at the time 'he's walking'. The incidents that spring to mind are Stuart Thom vs Stoke (last man) and Daz Sheridan (forget the game but it was for a blatant elbow)

Ben Turner!

And morais last season?

I was in the Chaddy End and when the ref put up his red card I couldnt believe it. Shortly before we had fouled them and there players ran on with the ball out numbering ours at the back. To me the red was a 'sorry for my earlier mistake with the foul and not playing advantage'

Then when I got home I saw it on sky sports and the ref had every right to send him off, it was mistimed it was all be it not too high but it was high and looked like it went onto the top of his foot. Could of been alot worse.

Good call on the refs part unfortunately.

I was in the main stand lower and straight away said he was going. Looked to me to be one of the few things the ref got right all game. Wasn't happy with their guy's reaction to it though and judging by the unflattering name Dickov called him 4 times as he walked past neither was he!

When it comes down to it though, its almost a natural reaction to think 'never a red' when your own man gets a straight red in a home game.

Theres only a handfull of games when we had an outfield player getting a straight red at Boundary Park when I thought at the time 'he's walking'. The incidents that spring to mind are Stuart Thom vs Stoke (last man) and Daz Sheridan (forget the game but it was for a blatant elbow)

Baudet at Brentford. Big row right on the half time whistle. He was dragged away by four players. First thing he did in the second half was chin the bloke!

Didnt think it was a red but lookin at it again isnt pretty. There is no malice but his momentum and timing makes it ugly. I think if the ref plays on, they could very well score and he gives a yellow. I wouldn't appeal... Shame because he had an excellent if unusual debut.

Baudet at Brentford. Big row right on the half time whistle. He was dragged away by four players. First thing he did in the second half was chin the bloke!

Wycombe….and he was sent off for it early in the 2nd, he was rightly aggrieved though and took his own retribution. Typical Gaullic reaction….

Edited by oafcprozac

Thought it was never a red at the time. Having seen it again, i still think it was a bit harsh (it was mistimed and the slippy pitch didn't help but i don't think there was intent, or deliberate excessive force), but i can see why the referee gave it.

BUT..... i howled with despair when i saw the BBC report saying that it was for a 'reckless challenge'. It really does my head in when people say it had to be a sending off cos it was reckless.

"Reckless" means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.

*A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

Not sent off. Cautioned.

Laws of the game (page 111)

From the chaddy it looked like a late challenge but no question he was going for the ball.

I thought he was walking anyway because wasn't he on a yellow already?

Anyhow the more I see it I think a red is harsh in the context of his game but defo a yellow.

Just a heavy touch taking the ball away from him but his eyes never left the ball, the challenge looked worse as their lad already started to leave the ground and he caught him.

301560_10150283842766200_702106199_7950216_7221358_n.jpg

Edited by KYLEOAFC