Chaddy. Chaddy The Owl.

Without wishing to turn the forum into Mumsnet, is anyone else's kid scared of Chaddy Owl? Mine is and it's tearing us apart.

My son is 5 and we have season tickets for the Chaddy End. Soon after he started school, a few of his new friends had declared themselves as City or United fans so, blind to the pain that I'd suffered since my first match 31 years ago, I chose to sit him in the Chaddy End to tell him "See that hospital? I was born there. You were born there. THIS is our team"

Together, we did about 10 games last season and all go them this. He's now football potty, would live in his Latics strip if he could and loves the vast majority of our afternoons at BP. From watching the warm up; having a small kick about at half time through to laughing at "I'm a bastard" and practising his Shefki dive when we get home - he's as keen as any child could be at that age.

However, he is terrified of that owl. He tries to sit in the middle of a row so that Chaddy can't get to him. He doesn't take his eyes off him whenever he's in view - just in case he makes an approach - and constantly asks for reassurance that it's just a man dressed up. He started football training this week on Clayton Playing fields and wanted promises that Chaddy wouldn't turn up. I, on the other hand, am very much in the 'fan' camp and I can it bothers me that he's not getting the most from these "I'm in Chaddy's Gang" years.

He does have previous in terms of being scared of other 'characters' (Disneyland would be his worst nightmare) but as far as I can see all the other kids are crazy for him. Are there any others that react in this way? If so, can we sit them together to discuss their 'issues' so that I can go and give that big bird a high five?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IVe been lucky, my son who is 5 I dece has only seen the pictures.

I am sure if he saw him in real live he'd be terrified!

I;d go the reward route.

I am sure the "real" Chaddy could arrange something in advance like taking a bow, or doing a pirouette, so tell your son if shouts asking chaddy to do a pirouette then he is in control.

You might not want to ask him to ride a bike for him though!

Failing that. I;d go the treat route, if he goes to the touchline to see him he gets a sticker. If he does not cover his eyes in the match a sticker, if he gives Chaddy a real good wave 2 sticker till you get to 5 or whatever and he gets a treat and the praise of course

You could do this a few times until he forgets about it

Personally, for our son it is getting his read round it and what to expect, so a bit of a chat prior about what Chaddy does

MAybe a sweet when he waves etc see if he can guess what he is going to do next maybe?

Doeshe have a poster at home?

Yours sincerely

Supernanny !!

<Mumsnet mode over>

Edited by singe

my girl is now 6 but has been going to latics since she was 3. she started off being terrified of him but is slowly but surely coming round to the idea. she has always loved the concept of chaddy but i think the idea of going near such a big creature was overbaring. she will now have a picture taken with him as long as i am in the middle of them. just give them time and as they get older and bigger they will come round. my 2 boys did exactly the same. now my 7 year old fights with him and allsorts

Without wishing to turn the forum into Mumsnet, is anyone else's kid scared of Chaddy Owl? Mine is and it's tearing us apart.

My son is 5 and we have season tickets for the Chaddy End. Soon after he started school, a few of his new friends had declared themselves as City or United fans so, blind to the pain that I'd suffered since my first match 31 years ago, I chose to sit him in the Chaddy End to tell him "See that hospital? I was born there. You were born there. THIS is our team"

if only all in oldham were like you

I was born there. You were born there. THIS is our team"
:latics::bluearmy::imnotworthy: Edited by boboafc

Im not a parent so this could be bollocks ,

but when I was younger I had a huge phobia of the michelin man . There was a giant blow up one in chadderton and I wouldnt go anywhere near the precint with my mum as I would be too scared,

anyway my dad took me to the shop where it was an kindly one of the managers showed me the man "deflated" to prove to me it wasnt real. After that I was fine

82582320.jpg

Just as well the little man never saw the old chaddy the owl suit you wouldn't have got him to come again.

What do you mean? This isn't the stuff of nightmares!

chaddy.jpg

Also,

I chose to sit him in the Chaddy End to tell him "See that hospital? I was born there. You were born there. THIS is our team"

To many this would be classed as child abuse but good on you! As has previously been said, if only more people did this we would be safely in the Championship.

Im not a parent so this could be bollocks ,

but when I was younger I had a huge phobia of the michelin man . There was a giant blow up one in chadderton and I wouldnt go anywhere near the precint with my mum as I would be too scared,

anyway my dad took me to the shop where it was an kindly one of the managers showed me the man "deflated" to prove to me it wasnt real. After that I was fine

82582320.jpg

So you want to deflate Chaddy?

You can suck the air out if you wish, ill let him know.

Thanks for the replies. Without wishing to find comfort at the thought of children recoiling in horror when Chaddy appears, it's good to know that there are at least a few others that have been through the same - I hope their night screams are dulled these days.

It's true that all of these oversized beings have a similar effect. Seeing Billy Bear at Butlins caused hysterics and there was also a recent incident with Mr Tumble (CBeebies stalwart - not strictly as much of a costume but was enough to trigger 'flight' mode).

It had crossed my mind to see if it was possible to see the costume 'at rest' and he himself has mentioned that without the head, he'd be OK but I'm not convinced - in fact, it just sounds weird.

Most likely the problem is me. His reaction is probably typical when seeing these things in formative years and sitting in the middle of a block is the was to go. Being honest, I wanted to meet Mr Tumble and I want my picture with Chaddy at the Boundary Blues Christmas Party. I'm 39.

What do you mean? This isn't the stuff of nightmares!

chaddy.jpg

Also,

To many this would be classed as child abuse but good on you! As has previously been said, if only more people did this we would be safely in the Championship.

PMSL i forgot about the old owl. That has to be the worst mascot costume in the history of football... Looks like a homeless owl

Together, we did about 10 games last season and all go them this. He's now football potty, would live in his Latics strip if he could and loves the vast majority of our afternoons at BP. From watching the warm up; having a small kick about at half time through to laughing at "I'm a bastard" and practising his Shefki dive when we get home - he's as keen as any child could be at that age.

However, he is terrified of that owl. He tries to sit in the middle of a row so that Chaddy can't get to him. He doesn't take his eyes off him whenever he's in view - just in case he makes an approach - and constantly asks for reassurance that it's just a man dressed up. He started football training this week on Clayton Playing fields and wanted promises that Chaddy wouldn't turn up. I, on the other hand, am very much in the 'fan' camp and I can it bothers me that he's not getting the most from these "I'm in Chaddy's Gang" years.

He does have previous in terms of being scared of other 'characters' (Disneyland would be his worst nightmare) but as far as I can see all the other kids are crazy for him. Are there any others that react in this way? If so, can we sit them together to discuss their 'issues' so that I can go and give that big bird a high five?

Great post!

My children are yet to meet Chaddy but they are nearing that age. I'll have a hard time convincing them Latics is their club, living in Scotland. I can but try and I'll be :censored:ed if they're having anything to do with that Old Firm nonsense.

I have an intuition about these things and it's starting to look like my thread may be veering off topic. However, for the record, Mr Tumble is ace and it's only with moderate embarrassment that I'll declare that I once watched an entire episode of Gigglebiz....without the kids even being in the house at the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/03/meeting-mr-tumble-justin-fletcher

**Bows head. Gets coat. Walks out of the door**