Who do you think are Latics best centre backs ?

Which is the best Latics best centre back pairing ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Latics best centre back pairing ?

• Matthew D Carr
    • Nathan Clarke
    • Zander Diamond
    • Jean Yves Mvoto
    • James Tarkowski

There is some discussion at to who would be Latics best centre back pairing, this poll may determine the fans choice.

I'm going for Mvoto and Tarkowski, so I'll also give you 2 choices.

Edited by BP1960

I think the two polls on the site highlight a significant problem.

Neither of them offer a choice of "FFS get some decent defenders in"!

From the choices given I've selected M'Voto and Clarke. But boy can I see their weaknesses.

Edited by opinions4u

From the choices given I've selected M'Voto and Clarke. But boy can I see their weaknesses.

It does seem strange that we have experience in Diamond and Clarke - real potential in MVoto and Tarkowski - an assistant manager who was a centre back and yet .... well you can fill in the dots.

And as for which is the best pairing - difficult to say really but I would go for Clarke and Tarkowski - maybe even try them out in the JPT?

I have two main issues with our defence, how can a pairing build an understanding when the manager is continually chopping and changing? Both Diamond and M'Voto have been dropped by the manager already - in addition to the injuries they have picked up. I think Dickov should grow a pair and pick the defenders he signed on full-time contracts. I simply don't think Clarke is all that and then add to that young Mellor being hung out to dry week in week out by his manager by playing him out of position then the reasons why we give games away is clear to see. Yesterday we conceded our TENTH header of the season from a set-piece, simply unacceptable - Dickov needs to pick a defence and stick with it over a period not keep on tinkering.

Clarke shafted his team-mate yesterday big-time, he's the experienced head, you clear that I mean FFS Hazell would have been proud of that! Get Black back in, stick with M'Voto and Diamond (who were superb at Scunny earlier in the season) send the anonymous Adeyemi back to Norwich and get young Mellor alongside Furman. I'm sick of under-achieving lacksidaisical loanees…let our players :censored: up and be anonymous, not someone else's…

I still can't get over people praising that performance yesterday, it was woeful, we started woeful even before the pen, we got of jail yet still handed two goals on a plate. When the opposition go down to ten men, we toil and rarely win - yet we looked a beaten side. Ok they huffed and puffed, and Kuqi did more than anyone to try and drag us back into it but we were a long way from putting a performance in that warranted Dickov's pride in his team comments. I can cope with losing that's never an issue but that first-half performance at home happens nearly every week

I'd say Diamond and M'voto. We all know it takes M'voto a run of games to get going, and once he is going he is our best centre-back, yet continually dropping him will mean he won't get going.. I'd go with Diamond and M'voto. However, hopefully Tarky will at least get a game against either Crewe or Burton.

the problem is that game in, game out you always want any pairing for the next match other than the 2 that have just played in this one

In the Latics case you mean Harry ?

The fans choice so far is Mvoto and Clarke.

According to our recent polls the Latics defence should be; Lee, Clarke, Mvoto, Black.

Next our fans polls can sort out the midfield for PD. :D

Edited by BP1960

In the Latics case you mean Harry ?

The fans choice so far is Mvoto and Clarke.

According to our recent polls the Latics defence should be; Lee, Clarke, Mvoto, Black.

Next our fans polls can sort out the midfield for PD. :D

Cisak or Gerrard? :wink:

Jean and Tarky are not experienced enough to play together, we have to have one of the old heads in Diamond and Clarke with one of the youngsters to help them along.

At the moment I would have Clarke and Mvoto, we can't keep dropping players because they have made one or two mistakes in a previous game, it isn't as if we have Baresi and Moore to come in for them. We have to accept at 3rd division level we are not going to get finished (Not Finnish!) players.

We need to give 1 pairing a few games to let them get going,

We all saw what JVM did last year after 6 odd games , Only top class defences can be rotated , at this level you need to play them together for them to get used to each other, Look at Rubes and Gregan that year , they knew each other like the back of their hands. Greegs new when Ruben was struggling and vice versa . Its no good for Cisak either , one week having Clarke and Mvoto , then the week after having Clarke and Diamond etc.

Also from day 1 Ive always said I cant believe how bad our defending is at times considering our Assistant manager was a defender

There is some discussion at to who would be Latics best centre back pairing, this poll may determine the fans choice.

I'm going for Mvoto and Tarkowski, so I'll also give you 2 choices.

I see the flaws in all 3 of the senior CB's, and I see the flaws in young Tarky too. I also see the positives that each has, so for me - based on form this season & the positives weighed against the negatives, I believe the manager had the right pairing starting on Sat, Clarke & Diamond.

JYM has been poor this season. Forget the 20 odd solid & impressive matches after his sluggish & poor first dozen games last season, he's been poor, end of. I'm not too sure what's gone on - but at times this year it looks like we've been conned and it's not actually JYM but his cousin Barry-Yves who is here now with us on a 2 year deal.

Diamond is what he is. A bullish, no nonsense 'old school' CB. He will make the odd mistake (otherwise he wouldn't be playing L1; he's be higher) but I think his experience & leadership far outweighs the odd boob (Yeovil away anyone?) he might make.

Clarke has added to the side IMO. Mostly a solid & consistent performer, Experienced and vocal. Again, he's a L1 CB for a reason, but for me he's been a shrewd signing and a decent addition to the squad / team.

Tarky, well - I've nothing to base this season on as I've not seen him this term. Last season he looked very promising; albeit tempered with a rawness and a naivety that reflected his lack of experience & his age. He is also painfully 1 paced and has 0 acceleration. His injury happened at the wrong time for him IMO - as he may well have been far more involved by this stage had he not been out of the picture? I don't think he's the answer as some seem to think - I have no issue with him coming in after injuries or suspension, but I don't think he should be thrust in to replace 1 of the 3 others at this moment in time.

I see the flaws in all 3 of the senior CB's, and I see the flaws in young Tarky too. I also see the positives that each has, so for me - based on form this season & the positives weighed against the negatives, I believe the manager had the right pairing starting on Sat, Clarke & Diamond.

JYM has been poor this season. Forget the 20 odd solid & impressive matches after his sluggish & poor first dozen games last season, he's been poor, end of. I'm not too sure what's gone on - but at times this year it looks like we've been conned and it's not actually JYM but his cousin Barry-Yves who is here now with us on a 2 year deal.

Diamond is what he is. A bullish, no nonsense 'old school' CB. He will make the odd mistake (otherwise he wouldn't be playing L1; he's be higher) but I think his experience & leadership far outweighs the odd boob (Yeovil away anyone?) he might make.

Clarke has added to the side IMO. Mostly a solid & consistent performer, Experienced and vocal. Again, he's a L1 CB for a reason, but for me he's been a shrewd signing and a decent addition to the squad / team.

Tarky, well - I've nothing to base this season on as I've not seen him this term. Last season he looked very promising; albeit tempered with a rawness and a naivety that reflected his lack of experience & his age. He is also painfully 1 paced and has 0 acceleration. His injury happened at the wrong time for him IMO - as he may well have been far more involved by this stage had he not been out of the picture? I don't think he's the answer as some seem to think - I have no issue with him coming in after injuries or suspension, but I don't think he should be thrust in to replace 1 of the 3 others at this moment in time.

I agree, and to be honest I think we have a serious lack of pace whichever combination we play.

A lot of defenders get away with blunders if they have the pace to recover and retrieve the situation, we certainly don't have that and this makes blunders more serious as players are bound to get in behind us if they have any pace atall.

I would definately go for Diamond and Clark as the pairing out of our current options, but they are all prone to mistakes.

Diamond looked in pre-season but the key difference between then and now is that he suddenley seems to have diving in, he needs to stop listening to Rio Ferdinand's Twitter campiagn and slide in more. Clare/M'Voto are more than capable to play the sweeping up role and collect the ball calmly, it showed on Sat rather than dive in crunch the man and win the ball Diamond stood off and give them time. Clarke was poor but they both improved as the game went on, for me they are the best pairing but if Huddersfield want Clarke back in January even if it is to sell him then big Jean needs to play more to give him the understanding with Diamond.