Chesterfield game

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/HomeTickets/0,,10337~2514983,00.html

How do they come up with these decisions ? How is Chesterfield a Cat A game ? They cant be bringing that many as they only have the small section of the RRE

Maybe the club have thought about the 'Shez Factor' and chanced their arm. Although it went sour Shez is a club legend imo, he was a big reason why we stayed up in '99 and was a factor in us surviving with relative ease during Ritchie's tenure. He coached the kids right through to managing the first-team, and even came out of retirement to set the foundations for survival on the field in '03/'04 as well as being caretaker manager during the final months of admin, giving is memorable games such as the 3-3 at Grimsby and the 6-0 vs Grimsby at home. IMHO he gave us our best five months in 20 years during 06/07 footballing wise. It was a shame he couldn't finish the job and although he left under a cloud I'd like to think the majority of fans will give him a good reception.

Edited by oafcprozac

So if you shifted Chesterfield to Cat B, which game would you move up in to Cat A?

It ain't perfect, but it's bot the end of the world.

(Smugly looks at season ticket already paid for)

+1

(well in instalments but paying off at the end of the month..)

How do they come up with these decisions ? How is Chesterfield a Cat A game ? They cant be bringing that many as they only have the small section of the RRE

When the club announced the new categories, they also stated that the categoried primarily on the level of away support, in order to maximise the clubs matchday revenue.

If your having an A:B:C split of 8:8:7, then chesterfield may well be in that category. I think there may be an argument for having Tranmere or Carlisle as the Cat A and Chesterfield as the Cat B, but like prozac said, I think the club may well have factored in the shez factor.

On another season it could have easilly fallen into the B category I suppose but the club just have to make the best of the opposition their playing against.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Will go but imo its a cat B game, that said if we play the same way we did on saturday for 45mins i would pay any amount of money in the world some of the football was top quality albeait against a poor side down to 10, to theri credit as much as we were poor burton inproved the lad they brought on with loads pace caused few problems

When the club announced the new categories, they also stated that the categoried primarily on the level of away support, in order to maximise the clubs matchday revenue.

If your having an A:B:C split of 8:8:7, then chesterfield may well be in that category. I think there may be an argument for having Tranmere or Carlisle as the Cat A and Chesterfield as the Cat B, but like prozac said, I think the club may well have factored in the shez factor.

On another season it could have easilly fallen into the B category I suppose but the club just have to make the best of the opposition their playing against.

Seems a reasonable way of doing it and judging by Trannies last away followings at BP I can see why they were dropped to cat B. However, Chesterfield have had 3 home games in a row; one league, one JPT, one FA, so maybe their following won't be as big as it might have been. If Carlisle have something to play for on the last day then they will bring more. Charlton might bring more too, especially if they can secure something when they play us (early April), but that is a cat A game anyway, however, £23 is still cheaper than their home charge so it makes more sense.

One downside to giving a game in mid-November Cat A status is if the game is called off, its not going to happen but the club can't have known that when it was decided.

Edited by rudemedic

For many years (actually for their entire existance) they've been a lower league minnow from a town full of Wednesday, Derby and Forest fans. But they've built a new stadium, got promoted and sold over 5,000 season tickets this season with no special offers, so I can understand why at the start of the season why the club expected them to bring a few more fans than normal. But we'll see on Sat whether the idea was worthwhile

For many years (actually for their entire existance) they've been a lower league minnow from a town full of Wednesday, Derby and Forest fans. But they've built a new stadium, got promoted and sold over 5,000 season tickets this season with no special offers, so I can understand why at the start of the season why the club expected them to bring a few more fans than normal. But we'll see on Sat whether the idea was worthwhile

I've no idea how many they'll bring, but just out of interest, last Saturday, when season tickets did not apply, the crowd at Chesterfield comprised 4,077 home supporters and 255 Torquay supporters, compared to 2,623 Latics supporters and 479 Burton supporters.

the majority of fans will give him a good reception.

They better had do. He Stayed with the club for 9 years, in a variety of roles. He kept us up, and played on one leg at times. Goals like Bristol Rovers away, Hull away will live long in the memory. When the :censored: hit the fan - he stayed and worked his backside off for the club. As a manager He gave us the play offs, Leeds NYD, Everton, games like Forest away on a tuesday night when it should have been 6, Forest at home. Yes - it went backwards at in the end, but since 1994 I'd say that Shez is legend number 1 at boundary park. Only Eyresy and Tony Philliskirk come close (edit - Dux as well). It didn't work out, but he cared and tried his best. I was chuffed for him that he took chesterfield up. If he gets stick I think I'm going to be very very angry and will probably end up in a slanging match with a few people.

Edited by pukka

They better had do. He Stayed with the club for 9 years, in a variety of roles. He kept us up, and played on one leg at times. Goals like Bristol Rovers away, Hull away will live long in the memory. When the :censored: hit the fan - he stayed and worked his backside off for the club. As a manager He gave us the play offs, Leeds NYD, Everton, games like Forest away on a tuesday night when it should have been 6, Forest at home. Yes - it went backwards at in the end, but since 1994 I'd say that Shez is legend number 1 at boundary park. Only Eyresy and Tony Philliskirk come close. It didn't work out, but he cared and tried his best. I was chuffed for him that he took chesterfield up. If he gets stick I think I'm going to be very very angry and will probably end up in a slanging match with a few people.

agreed

They better had do. He Stayed with the club for 9 years, in a variety of roles. He kept us up, and played on one leg at times. Goals like Bristol Rovers away, Hull away will live long in the memory. When the :censored: hit the fan - he stayed and worked his backside off for the club. As a manager He gave us the play offs, Leeds NYD, Everton, games like Forest away on a tuesday night when it should have been 6, Forest at home. Yes - it went backwards at in the end, but since 1994 I'd say that Shez is legend number 1 at boundary park. Only Eyresy and Tony Philliskirk come close (edit - Dux as well). It didn't work out, but he cared and tried his best. I was chuffed for him that he took chesterfield up. If he gets stick I think I'm going to be very very angry and will probably end up in a slanging match with a few people.

Stand out for me is coming out of retirement, litteraly putting his body on the line for the club, and still running the show!

Legend.

We played them the day we qualified for the play-offs (when Blackpool did us).

I think their relegation happened a week or so later.

Oh yes we did. I was thinking of the game when John Eyre scored a goal which hit the post and then the back of the keepers head, because Chesterfield must of taken 2000 fans up that day, the 07 game they only took 300 or so