Rochdale - Managerless

Being a (:censored:e) pundit for Radio Merseyside last time I saw..........

What do the 'Dale board & supporters seriously expect to achieve? Do they think they're a top 6 side or something???

I'm sure they have higher expectations than being 2nd from bottom.

I'm sure they have higher expectations than being 2nd from bottom.

Yeah they will have higher expectations.... but why give a young manager a chance who has proven ability at bringing good young players through then get shot 6 months down the line, they've twitched, :censored: themselves and they deserve to go down now, City won't be sending any good young players that way now, the likes of Bunn etc.

Ridiculous decision.

What would have been their realistic expectation of a young managerial team coming in after some of their best players had gone?

Strikes me their Board got a bit giddy after last season's decent showing,and forgot that some of that was due to the "promotion bounce" many clubs have.

Steve Eyre used to coach me when i was at school, he used to be one of those "in the community" coaches at city and then worked his way up to be a youth coach for them!

He'll be able to walk back into a job with city, he was very highly thought of there.

Ridiculous decision.

What would have been their realistic expectation of a young managerial team coming in after some of their best players had gone?

Strikes me their Board got a bit giddy after last season's decent showing,and forgot that some of that was due to the "promotion bounce" many clubs have.

and this:

Yeah they will have higher expectations.... but why give a young manager a chance who has proven ability at bringing good young players through then get shot 6 months down the line, they've twitched, :censored: themselves and they deserve to go down now, City won't be sending any good young players that way now, the likes of Bunn etc.

Exactly.

Wiseman, Donne, Perkins & O'Grady of the top of my head have all gone, along with Hill & Flitcroft obviously. It was always going to be a struggle for them, but 6 months - 6 months FFS.

Terrible decision that unfortunately reflects the way football has gone / is going. Nobody gives time or has any patience anymore - they might be down near the bottom of the league, but were they seriously expecting them to be challenging?? I like to think that they're in & around exactly where they should be - in a relegation scrap but doing enough to survive. They employed a guy in his first managerial appointment, sold all their best players and brought in waifs & strays as replacements - what were they thinking would happen? Poor decision I feel.

Feel sorry for Frankie Bunn too; he's only just got back into the game proper (as opposed to working at Newcastle's youth set-up) and now he's out of a job just in time for Christmas; nice!

I hope they go for a Ronnie Moore type and they go down after this.

Ridiculous decision.

couldnt have put it better, glad i did them to go down start of season

Hope they don't go for Ronnie. He'll keep them up and having them pushing to top half of table by end of next season. Whatever people say about his tactics, they work and he knows how to keep a team in this league up. Hope they go for Penney. That would be a perfect christmas present! They've tried a younger manager with Steve Eyre after it worked with Hill. After what's happened with Eyre, think they will go for someone with a bit more experience which will hopefully be Penney as he can talk a good game in an interview.

and this:

Exactly.

Wiseman, Donne, Perkins & O'Grady of the top of my head have all gone, along with Hill & Flitcroft obviously. It was always going to be a struggle for them, but 6 months - 6 months FFS.

Terrible decision that unfortunately reflects the way football has gone / is going. Nobody gives time or has any patience anymore - they might be down near the bottom of the league, but were they seriously expecting them to be challenging?? I like to think that they're in & around exactly where they should be - in a relegation scrap but doing enough to survive. They employed a guy in his first managerial appointment, sold all their best players and brought in waifs & strays as replacements - what were they thinking would happen? Poor decision I feel.

Feel sorry for Frankie Bunn too; he's only just got back into the game proper (as opposed to working at Newcastle's youth set-up) and now he's out of a job just in time for Christmas; nice!

so were saying the same when Penney and Gray were here then? it was around this time of the season when people were calling for their heads.

so were saying the same when Penney and Gray were here then? it was around this time of the season when people were calling for their heads.

there are so many differences between Eyre & Penney / Gray - but the most important one is Penney / Gray were most certainly not in their 1st managerial job when they came to us......

and this:

Exactly.

Didn't a Ronnie Moore Type keep us up?

Edited by pukka

negative boring football has got Eyre the sack.

He's failed to live on the expectation he said he'd achieve and a relegation scrap and early cup exits have had the fans on his back for the past month or two now.

Dale fans have been lucky in recent years to have seen decent players come through and the side that Keith Hill set up being one of the best passing/footballing sides in the lower leagues.

It's no surprise to see Eyre has been sacked as it has been coming for a while.

Hope they don't go for Ronnie. He'll keep them up and having them pushing to top half of table by end of next season. Whatever people say about his tactics, they work and he knows how to keep a team in this league up. Hope they go for Penney. That would be a perfect christmas present! They've tried a younger manager with Steve Eyre after it worked with Hill. After what's happened with Eyre, think they will go for someone with a bit more experience which will hopefully be Penney as he can talk a good game in an interview.

Disagree, the key to Ronnie's success is motivation and bringing in good players which is a good thing in the short term. But in the long run the better sides find his teams very easy to play against, hence why the better teams beat us when he was our manager and why Chesterfield spanked them 5-0 leading to him getting the sack at Rotherham. I'll be surprised if we see Ronnie Moore manage a league club again