The Day Trippers

Serious question.

We've sold more tickets for Liverpool on a Friday night than we did for Everton on a Saturday afternoon.

With the Everton game, our average home fans attedndance was higher than it is this season.

The phrase "daytrippers" has been used a few times. My guess is that many of them are Latics fans who attend games at BP, but just not quite as often as they used to. Unless we're playing Carlisle and it costs £2 each to get in.

So what does the football club need to do to get them to attend more often?

Build a new stand? More leg room?

Better toilets?

Better and more reliable catering?

Make the half time draw more exciting?

Live music from local bands pre-match?

Bar in the Chaddy End?

Bar in the RRE?

Cheap half-season tickets?

More offers for kids?

Free tickets for schools?

Kick off at 8pm on a Wednesday night instead of 7.45pm on a Tuesday night?

Play home games on Friday nights instead of Saturdays?

A more grown up version of the Blue Crew :wink: ?

If you are an Anfield "daytripper" what would make you go to BP for 80% plus of games?

Edited by opinions4u

Decent public transport links.

With the exception of Yeovil, Boundary Park has to be the most inaccessible ground in the league on public transport.

The extension of the Metrolink will help.

It doesn't help that Greater Manchester's finest bus drivers, don't seem to know their own route. Twice this season I've got the 181/24 from Piccadilly Gardens, asked for a return to Boundary Park, yet been told by the bus driver that "I don't go near Boundary Park"...

Let's face it, most of the day-trippers are going to be from Manchester - I think making it easier to get from Manchester to Boundary Park will attract a few.

Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere have the Soccerbus - why can't we run something similar?

Alot of people I know who used to attend say they are embarrased of our ground having 3 stands and no atmosphere being created.

Lack of atmosphere is a problem. Everyone in the RRE, away fans in the acoustically challenge Chaddy End.

Build a new stand or get terracing down the old Lees Stand Paddock.

Lack of atmosphere is a problem. Everyone in the RRE, away fans in the acoustically challenge Chaddy End.

Build a new stand or get terracing down the old Lees Stand Paddock.

Yep!

Chaddy End often comes out with a few chants but doesn't really seem to get going at all.

A 4th stand will make the ground look much better. Can't stand seeing the ground in such a bad state!

Sooner we get the redevelopment underway, the better!

Serious question.

We've sold more tickets for Liverpool on a Friday night than we did for Everton on a Saturday afternoon.

With the Everton game, our average home fans attedndance was higher than it is this season.

The phrase "daytrippers" has been used a few times. My guess is that many of them are Latics fans who attend games at BP, but just not quite as often as they used to. Unless we're playing Carlisle and it costs £2 each to get in.

So what does the football club need to do to get them to attend more often?

Build a new stand? More leg room?

Better toilets?

Better and more reliable catering?

Make the half time draw more exciting?

Live music from local bands pre-match?

Bar in the Chaddy End?

Bar in the RRE?

Cheap half-season tickets?

More offers for kids?

Free tickets for schools?

Kick off at 8pm on a Wednesday night instead of 7.45pm on a Tuesday night?

Play home games on Friday nights instead of Saturdays?

A more grown up version of the Blue Crew :wink: ?

If you are an Anfield "daytripper" what would make you go to BP for 80% plus of games?

I think all of the things mentioned have their own positives and would be worth a punt - however I do feel that there is a bigger force here - the pro game is financially on it's ass and continues to decline and whatever schemes are runs by clubs, every penny they spend on such initiatives is another penny gambled in a climate where every penny counts.

Student tickets without the ball-ache of the membership scheme. You produce a valid NUS card and you can get in for cheaper, Huddersfield do it, why don't we? (That's a rhetorical question BTW).

If we really want to capitalise on the day-trippers for Anfield we should have made a couple of days where you needed to produce a ticket stub for a home game to get tickets- then leave the rest to open sale. If people really want to go to Anfield that badly (queuing in the rain for a few hours indicate they might) then they might have bought tickets to some of our recent and upcoming games. If you pay on the day for the Chaddy or RRE it wouldn't have taken much to print some stubs to hand out at turnstiles.

Decent public transport links.

With the exception of Yeovil, Boundary Park has to be the most inaccessible ground in the league on public transport.

The extension of the Metrolink will help.

It doesn't help that Greater Manchester's finest bus drivers, don't seem to know their own route. Twice this season I've got the 181/24 from Piccadilly Gardens, asked for a return to Boundary Park, yet been told by the bus driver that "I don't go near Boundary Park"...

Let's face it, most of the day-trippers are going to be from Manchester - I think making it easier to get from Manchester to Boundary Park will attract a few.

Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere have the Soccerbus - why can't we run something similar?

You could always try the 182 direct from Manchester or the 82, 83, 180, 184 to Oldham Bus Station then the 64,408,428 or very frequent 409 to Royal Oldham Hospital. The 64 also goes direct from Manchester but it's a long route via Middleton.

Sadly correct. :disappointed:

The one major positive we can take out of this is that today shows that their is still interest in the club in the town we've shifted 6000 tickets with a week to spare in a game on a friday night. The 2 big things that will get people back are better facilities and a winning team. I think the price when you consider the catergorisation is about right when you take into account what other clubs at our level are charging. Many would pay the current prices in a better stadium with a winning team. Thats the difficult bit as new stadiums and winning teams cost money which would require investment a few cup headlines may just get us that here's hoping.

Edited by GlossopLatic

You could always try the 182 direct from Manchester or the 82, 83, 180, 184 to Oldham Bus Station then the 64,408,428 or very frequent 409 to Royal Oldham Hospital. The 64 also goes direct from Manchester but it's a long route via Middleton.

Yup, from manchester the 181 or 24 stop outside Elk Mill and 182 outside Royal Oldham, along with the 409. Would imagine once complete, nearest tram stop would be Freehold on Middleton Road which would probably be a 15 minute walk or so to the ground.

Fans want to spend their money on big days out/ days in.

Give them more big days out/ days in.

We've been having virtually meaningless mid table clashes for years now. We get a solid challenge for promotion and people will start turning up.

People get back into the habit of coming and they keep coming.

People will find better things to do that get cold watching mediocre football.