Liverpool Game - Some of our Idiot Contingent....

The clubs need to give us an incentive to sit down more:

Make comfier chairs. An armchair and footrest would make you want to sit down more, maybe chuck a blanket in too.

Or if you're willing to pay a little more and sit in the posh seats a finger up the bum everytime you sit down.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to games, you have to accept that people will stand and swear.....you have to accept that some people enjoy watching football in a different way than you. I'm not saying you have to put up with nastiness and disgraceful behaviour,, but you really can't expect the finest of behaviour. My dad took me from an early age, and to be honest, it was the atmposphere that got me hooked. Apart from the times i sat on the advertising boards to watch the game, all i saw for 90 mins was the back of people's heads. I enjoyed the noise and the banter and that is why i still go. My nephew enjoys the atmosphere (although under the roof on fri he said the noise hurt his ears) and he gets a bit bored without it.

Exactly! As a kid going to the football, the atmosphere, the noise and the 'banter' of the adults was what made it exciting and a superior experience to watching a game on telly. As an adult, for many of us getting a little bit tipsy and having a sing song is part of the day out. Sometimes this can involve swearing, and short of making everybody adopt leeslover style banter ('Keeper! I respect you as a man but your ball-handling skills are suspect') football is always going to be like this.

There always needs to be politeness and respect, but the tone of some of the comments leans a little too much towards the puritan side. As said previously, the solution must be to keep the family areas that some clubs have (and perhaps allocate one for away fans) and let people choose what kind of experience they want to have.

I was quite lucky, i was in block 125 about halfway up. We had the whole meerkat thing pretty synchronised with no major battles to report.

Same in 126 too. No issues to report, Meerkating did the job as & when.

6,000+ "fans" - there are always going to be nezbitts in there with those numbers.

There are one or two cases on this thread that I can sympathise with but it does work both ways.

I was block 123 Row 20 and had an altercation with a bloke two rows behind. I also told the woman on the row behind to give it a rest as she spent the entire game going "oh this is crap latics" and "nevermind singing ooh roger palmer, just get it in the bloody net.". I've got a video of Latics fans singing but feel like deleting it due to the nonsense you can hear her coming out with on it. It really is quite embarrassing in one of our biggest games in recent years. The abuse towards Taylor who was clapping the fans and giving his shirt to a fan was vile.

Anyway, the guy two rows behind spent the game informing me I had to sit down - even when we scored, had a corner, created a good chance, made a substitution, etc, etc. I spent the match largely sat down which I dont have a problem with but like I told him - this is a football match, at times of excitement those infront of me will stand, and I will do the same. He tried to tell me to have a go at the people stood infront to sit down but I told him that I wasnt going to do anything of the sort.

One of his arguements was 'I paid £25 for my seat." - my arguement back was "I paid £25 to support my club which ultimately should be the reason all 6,000 of us have travelled to Liverpool on a friday night.". I also mentioned that I am not sitting down if it means i'm looking at someone's back and that I wouldnt be telling anyone to sit down infront who was clearly enjoying the occasion and making the most of a game that doesnt come around too often.

I have no problem with people sitting down, that is there choice - they do however have to accept where they are and what they are watching, the occassion, passion, etc and realise that at certain points people will stand up cheer, get excited and all the rest of it - anyone who doesnt and merely goes for the view may as well stay at home and watch it on tv in my opinion when the opportunity arises.

The bloke spent the entire game moaning about the club, the fans, the team. I eventually snapped after listening to the constant negativity and drivel after we'd just missed a chance in the first half and turned round and told him to shut up boring everyone around him. A couple of Oldham fans on the row infront and nearby told me it was about time someone said something to him and that he'd of only been happy if all 6,000 of us had sat arms folded in silence regardless of what was happening infront of us.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

The clubs need to give us an incentive to sit down more:

Make comfier chairs. An armchair and footrest would make you want to sit down more, maybe chuck a blanket in too.

Or if you're willing to pay a little more and sit in the posh seats a finger up the bum everytime you sit down.

:lol:

Crikey

We must have been lucky

Block 126 row 27

Everyone who stood up in front of us, sat down again within 30 seconds of whatever caused us to stand up in the first place (apart from going mental when we scored :D )

Heard plenty of good humoured banter with a sprinkling of bad launguage, which I personally expect at a football match

Bloke behind me kept slapping me on me 'ead though :angry: then I found out it was a mate of mine :D

For me,apart from the result it was a great day out B)

Sorry to hear that some supporters had to endure what they did though :(

Maybe if we get to Wembley this is something the club can look it.... Maybe the club could allocate 500 or seats and call it the singing area maybe sold direct through them.

This is a good idea Tom. Although the Club cannot be seen to be encouraging people to stand in breach of stadium regulations, it could sell tickets for one section designated for those willing to sing in support of the team. If those supporters then stand, it would be a matter for the stewards to deal with, but it would avoid causing nuisance to others who prefer not to stand.

Crikey

We must have been lucky

Block 126 row 27

Everyone who stood up in front of us, sat down again within 30 seconds of whatever caused us to stand up in the first place (apart from going mental when we scored :D )

I was in Block 126 row 25 and sat immediately behind Dave_Og, who is even taller than beag_teets, and confirm the common sense approach taken to standing, in consideration for others.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

This is a good idea Tom. Although the Club cannot be seen to be encouraging people to stand in breach of stadium regulations, it could sell tickets for one section designated for those willing to sing in support of the team. If those supporters then stand, it would be a matter for the stewards to deal with, but it would avoid causing nuisance to others who prefer not to stand.

I think this is a must, not so much for the standing/sitting issue, more to ensure we generate a decent atmosphere - having the singers all spread out meant that it was hard to get us all singing the same song at times! Someone email Barry ;)

I think this is a must, not so much for the standing/sitting issue, more to ensure we generate a decent atmosphere - having the singers all spread out meant that it was hard to get us all singing the same song at times! Someone email Barry ;)

Let's not tempt fate by appearing to have ideas above our stadium. :wink:

P.S. I've made a note in my diary to email him (or the new Chief Exec) on 31st Jan, if appropriate.

I was in Block 126 row 25 and sat immediately behind Dave_Og, who is even taller than beag_teets, and confirm the common sense approach taken to standing, in consideration for others.

Although to be fair the bloke in front of me who did tend to stand up was all of 4 foot 10!

Let's not tempt fate by appearing to have ideas above our stadium. :wink:

P.S. I've made a note in my diary to email him (or the new Chief Exec) on 31st Jan, if appropriate.

Oh I'm with you - just conscious that if, as rumoured, ticketmaster handle final tickets, it could all be setup well in advance of the actual teams being determined and tickets could in theory go on sale the day after the semis are completed. That wouldn't leave much time, if any, for logistics to be arranged.

Oh I'm with you - just conscious that if, as rumoured, ticketmaster handle final tickets, it could all be setup well in advance of the actual teams being determined and tickets could in theory go on sale the day after the semis are completed. That wouldn't leave much time, if any, for logistics to be arranged.

The second leg of the Southern Final is not until 7th February.

If the sale of tickets is outside the control of Latics, we need to pick a block or blocks for the singers (who are more likely to be a nuisance to those not wishing to stand), and ask the Club to publicise the block No(s). No doubt this will be easier said than done, but surely, where there's a will, there's a way.

The second leg of the Southern Final is not until 7th February.

If the sale of tickets is outside the control of Latics, we need to pick a block or blocks for the singers (who are more likely to be a nuisance to those not wishing to stand), and ask the Club to publicise the block No(s). No doubt this will be easier said than done, but surely, where there's a will, there's a way.

Great idea in principal, but I would approach the powers that be with the idea that it could be a trial to generate a better atmosphere for those wishing to be more vocal. I would certainly not mention the standing issue as this is against all ground rules and the idea would be squashed.

Great idea in principal, but I would approach the powers that be with the idea that it could be a trial to generate a better atmosphere for those wishing to be more vocal. I would certainly not mention the standing issue as this is against all ground rules and the idea would be squashed.

As I said above.

...Although the Club cannot be seen to be encouraging people to stand in breach of stadium regulations, it could sell tickets for one section designated for those willing to sing in support of the team. If those supporters then stand, it would be a matter for the stewards to deal with, but it would avoid causing nuisance to others who prefer not to stand.

Crikey

We must have been lucky

Block 126 row 27

Heard plenty of good humoured banter with a sprinkling of bad launguage, which I personally expect at a football match

Bloke behind me kept slapping me on me 'ead though :angry: then I found out it was a mate of mine :D

For me,apart from the result it was a great day out B)

Sorry to hear that some supporters had to endure what they did though :(

As I've said earlier in the thread - Block 126 seemed to be the better block then for fans 'getting on'.

By a sheer luck of the draw really we ended up in that block, but all the fans in & around where I was (half way up, think it was row 28, 29?) all behaved exactly the same. "Meerkating" (I like that term!) when we had chances, corners or other points of interest during the game; then quickly sitting back down again after whatever it was had finished.

I didn't hear any arguments, didn't see it kick-off between supporters and it was generally a cracking atmosphere in that area.

Just from various people's reactions to our goal; you could clearly see who were the ardent fans, who were there to just enjoy the game and those who were there for probably their 1st game in 15 years - but it mattered not 1 jot.

I could see other pockets of areas in the other blocks where there were standing groups of blokes; surrounded by people sitting and guessed it would be getting 'heated'.

I think a learning point from this might be that the club (us) work with the other club to sort an entire block that can almost become a dedicated "family block / stay sat down" block - leaving the other blocks free for those that behave in a 'standard' football fan manner - namely; leaving your seat at moments when your side might be about to do something.* Those that merely want to sit and watch the game then have an area that they can go into, that they know will not have people in it who differ from their own behaviour - and that might; just might, limit the amount of sit / stand confrontations that occur??

.* There is a big difference though in this type of behaviour (one that I myself am apart of; i.e. - the 'Meerkating') and that of the groups who stand constantly, and just will not sit down no matter how much they are asked to.

Also 126.

Season ticket holders and friends?

Which makes it all the more galling for us as you may recall I attempted to buy 8 x £25 tickets for behind goal ish (blocks 125 or 126) at lunchtime on the second day of sale to season ticket holders only, and was sold the first of the £23's ( I was told all the £25's had gone!?!) for block 122 where we were in the corner, level with the dugouts with 7 plebs two rows in front who just wouldn't sit down.

I still can't get my 'ed around how we ended up there......