Liverpool Game - Some of our Idiot Contingent....

Let me start this thread by saying:

I've been a fan for over 30 years. And a season ticket holder for most of them. I (when younger) attended lots of away games, but cost and time (mainly time) affect my ability to go to most away games but I usually go to the MK Dongs away game as I work here.

OK, so now you know I'm a decent fan. I even sponsored Chaddy's kit - I love my club - shimples.

So get to the point I hear you cry....

So there we are, my 3 mates, my wife and our son (who, unfortunately is a Liverpool fan), my mate's son (who's 5) and one "extra". 3 of us and a young lad who go to all the home games and 3 who don't go to many games. I'm rambling - anyway you get the picture.

So here's the scene. We're all lined up watching the game. Two rows in front, there's 8 people who just WON'T sit down. We're being told by stewards to sit down constantly, yet these fans just won't. So they're asked - as nicely as possible at first - to sit - after all, anyone behind had to stand to see the game if they wouldn't sit - they don't AND they get abusive. Some of the vitriol directed at the opponents fans was shocking too! (By the way, I wouldnt have expected everyone to stay sat down for the whole game but these guys stood for 80% of it). The problem is there are kids and women about. They've obviously had alot to drink and their attitude is almost that of wanting the fracas.

Their reaction was "Where were you at Chestrefield, Bournemouth, Charlton etc etc etc yawn). Does attending an away game give someone God given right to abuse their OWN fans - the sheer number of people intimidated by them was massive. They were constantly having a go to the point my wife just wanted to leave and gave up on watching the game completely. I doubt she'll bother attending again, and she was really looking forward to it.

The stewards eventually took a couple of them away for a "stern" word, but they soon, inexplicably, were allowed back, to carry on their selfish exploits.

So is this how it should be ? Do these "fans" enjoy feeling "special" so much that the don't actually WANT any more fans to join our club ? YES, many of the people who attended don't go to all or many of the games, but they were there then - they'd PAID to support OUR club - they had every right to be there and to be able to see the game, regardless of the number of games previously attended. If they have to suffer the indignities I and my friends did, why would they want to come back?

I enjoyed the game, I'm proud of our performance and MY club, but I was ashamed of these idiots - did anyone else have similar problems ?

RANT OVER :(

One final aside....

A couple of these fans "disappeared" just before half time - obviously to get the beer in - They all then disappeared at H/T - Then for 10 blissful 2nd half minutes there was no sign of them. These fans who love their club so much had to finish their pints before coming back to watch them - Hmmmmm

Edited by z3spacial

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan for over 30 years. And a season ticket holder for most of them. I (when younger) attended lots of away games, but cost and time (mainly time) affect my ability to go to most away games but I usually go to the MK Dongs away game as I work here.

OK, so now you know I'm a decent fan. I even sponsored Chaddy's kit - I love my club - shimples.

So there we are, my 3 mates, my wife and our son (who, unfortunately is a Liverpool fan), my mate's son (who's 5) and one "extra". 3 of us and a young lad who go to all the home games and 3 who don't go to many games. I'm rambling - anyway you get the picture.

So here's the scene. We're all lined up watching the game. Two rows in front, there's 8 people who just WON'T sit down. We're being told by stewards to sit down constantly, yet these fans just won't. So they're asked - as nicely as possible at first - to sit - after all, anyone behind had to stand to see the game if they wouldn't sit - they don't AND they get abusive. Some of the vitriol directed at the opponents fans was shocking too! (By the way, I wouldnt have expected everyone to stay sat down for the whole game but these guys stood for 80% of it). The problem is there are kids and women about. They've obviously had alot to drink and their attitude is almost that of wanting the fracas.

Their reaction was "Where were you at Chestrefield, Bournemouth, Charlton etc etc etc yawn). Does attending an away game give someone God given right to abuse their OWN fans - the sheer number of people intimidated by them was massive. They were constantly having a go to the point my wife just wanted to leave and gave up on watching the game completely. I doubt she'll bother attending again, and she was really looking forward to it.

The stewards eventually took a couple of them away for a "stern" word, but they soon, inexplicably, were allowed back, to carry on their selfish exploits.

So is this how it should be ? Do these "fans" enjoy feeling "special" so much that the don't actually WANT any more fans to join our club ? YES, many of the people who attended don't go to all or many of the games, but they were there then - they'd PAID to support OUR club - they had every right to be there and to be able to see the game, regardless of the number of games previously attended. If they have to suffer the indignities I and my friends did, why would they want to come back?

I enjoyed the game, I'm proud of our performance and MY club, but I was ashamed of these idiots - did anyone else have similar problems ?

Your right but unfortunately every club has them.

There were 3 lads a couple of rows in front of me exactly the same .

Spent the whole match facing towards the liverpool fans chanting every song in their football song book.

I bet they don't know who scored for Latics or what the final score was until somebody told then on Saturday.

Was a couple of lads who got moved because they were in the wrong seats, the woman whose seats they were took great pride in announcing she spat all over them.

The two lads eventually got thrown out for not going into their seats and causing trouble with other fans.

One final aside....

A couple of these fans "disappeared" just before half time - obviously to get the beer in - They all then disappeared at H/T - Then for 10 blissful 2nd half minutes there was no sign of them. These fans who love their club so much had to finish their pints before coming back to watch them - Hmmmmm

Spot on sir.

To the OP - I've resisted making similar grumbles on here as I didn't want to overshadow what was a great day.

I think I may have been sat very close to you. When these guys started having a go at my uncle who is a ST holder and has been going for 57 years for asking them to sit down I almost lost it. We missed the first 10 minutes or so as we had to pear between them. There was nothing we could do, it totally ruined a great night for him and us. One of the guys did apologise buy it was too late at that point. Their comeback was 'I'd like to see you at an away match", which totally baffled me. I'd like to blame it all on the occasion and the booze but I'm not sure that made too much difference.

At most away games you have a choice of where to sit, we were just unlucky that we weren't able to move on this occasion.

To the OP - I've resisted making similar grumbles on here as I didn't want to overshadow what was a great day.

I think I may have been sat very close to you. When these guys started having a go at my uncle who is a ST holder and has been going for 57 years for asking them to sit down I almost lost it. We missed the first 10 minutes or so as we had to pear between them. There was nothing we could do, it totally ruined a great night for him and us. One of the guys did apologise buy it was too late at that point. Their comeback was 'I'd like to see you at an away match", which totally baffled me. I'd like to blame it all on the occasion and the booze but I'm not sure that made too much difference.

At most away games you have a choice of where to sit, we were just unlucky that we weren't able to move on this occasion.

Thats my feelings exactly - didn't want to moan as it was a great occasion - but these selfish morons only cared about themselves.

Incidentally, I was on 122 - Row 20 Seat 20 - The said fans were on Row 18

You are of course right... but it does illustrate that more could be done by clubs in allowing people to choose seating blocks and especially to look again at safe standing.

I was sat in a block where people were seated most of the time and the people around me barely made any noise. Now, don't get me wrong - that is their absolute right and everybody who bought a ticket has an equal right to be there. As Mark says, I am a polite chap and so sat down other than in those out-of-your-seat moments.

However, for those who do want to stand and sing the whole game, surely something could be done to keep them happy too? I always look forward to Brentford away every season because I know that we will be on a terrace and there will be a great atmosphere during the game - it makes a difference, and there is plenty of room to keep accomodate everyone.

Edited by boyracerr

Thats my feelings exactly - didn't want to moan as it was a great occasion - but these selfish morons only cared about themselves.

Incidentally, I was on 122 - Row 20 Seat 20 - The said fans were on Row 18

I was slightly lower in 122, row 14.

I used to love standing so I have no problem if this was done safely in a designated area, the trouble with standing when other are seated is the obvious view, kids don't get a chance.

Edited by pdw76

Those idiots sound like utter morons.... but standing at away games is rather common place nowadays and if you followed a team which took a full allocation of seats at every away game, it would be something you would have to get used to. It is normal in the PL for example, for the majority of away fans to stand up.

That said, I also sat down much of the time to ensure I didn't get in the way of other, until they also stood up themselves.

Those idiots sound like utter morons.... but standing at away games is rather common place nowadays and if you followed a team which took a full allocation of seats at every away game, it would be something you would have to get used to. It is normal in the PL for example, for the majority of away fans to stand up.

That said, I also sat down much of the time to ensure I didn't get in the way of other, until they also stood up themselves.

I enjoy standing myself - but in a ground that has no facility for it and no way to move, then I have to consider the people around me don't I ? Thats all I would expect in return. At the risk of sounding like my father, there's no respect "these days" and if you stand up to them you immediately feel at risk, particularly with young kids by your side.

Luckily, it didn't kill my enjoyment too much. The pride I felt in my team prevented that. But my wife has said she'll never go away again - she was VERY upset and found the intimidation quite frightening :(

I enjoy standing myself - but in a ground that has no facility for it and no way to move, then I have to consider the people around me don't I ? Thats all I would expect in return. At the risk of sounding like my father, there's no respect "these days" and if you stand up to them you immediately feel at risk, particularly with young kids by your side.

Luckily, it didn't kill my enjoyment too much. The pride I felt in my team prevented that. But my wife has said she'll never go away again - she was VERY upset and found the intimidation quite frightening :(

I would NEVER want my kids to hear the stuff I heard at the match on Friday or feel intimidated, and thankfully I had the foresight. It is a sad thing when you can't take kids to such an important game to see such talented players for the fear. I don't think family areas are much better.

Problem doesn't arise at most away games because if anybody is standing you can easily move seats .

It's when you get a full house which for us is once every preston guild but annoying non the less.

Some people just to go football matches to incite the opposition fans and cause trouble ,

I go to most away matches and without exception there is always somebody there looking for trouble.

Unfortunately most clubs have them and even separate standing areas wont stop some .

Personally I think respect works both ways. Being told to "F'IN SIT DOWN" after 10 seconds as I was actually sitting down really got my back up. So I did try to get on a few peoples nerves (for a few minutes). I spoke to the bloke behind - we shook hands, I apologised, so did he for over reacting and that was the end of it.

Why can't we all just get along?!

Block 123

Edited by pukka

Unfortunately it mirrors much of society in general these days and not giving a stuff about anyone else. As somebody as pointed out, there are ways to ask 'please could you sit down when you can, as I can't see' and "effng sit down you ......."

Just as there are ways to do your best and give the person behind a bit of respect and sit down if you need to.

All seater stadiums bring these problems to the table - many years ago stood in the back of the Chaddy or any other terracing and a 6ft 4 man mountain stands in front of you with a minute before kick off, you could shuffle along or bellow down his ear for 10 until he became fed up of you and moved! It's harder sat down.

There are dingbats everywhere and 6 pints of John Willies, a couple of them sambuka things and a smoke on what they fancy, tends not to bring the best out of the dingbat race - their time will come - until then we grin and bare it (unless 1 stands in front of me of course!!) :wink:

Edited by futchers briefs

In fairness to the bloke behind, I don't think it was he who told me to f'in sit down - it was from further back. He just got a steward rather than speaking to me, and I subsequently I didn't handle it well either.

By the end there wasn't an issue. Most people will have respect for others if treated right themselves.

Personally I think respect works both ways. Being told to "F'IN SIT DOWN" after 10 seconds as I was actually sitting down really got my back up. So I did try to get on a few peoples nerves (for a few minutes). I spoke to the bloke behind - we shook hands, I apologised, so did he for over reacting and that was the end of it.

Why can't we all just get along?!

Block 123

Seen all sorts over the years...

People getting screamed at to sit down for just taking off a coat or something (as said above)... Standing up for 3 seconds longer than the bloke behind thought right (as said above)... to people deliberately standing up and not giving a :censored: who can't see... One guy refused to move his legs to let me past to go to the toilet... He said, I'm not moving until the ball goes out of play... LMAO I had no option but to remove his legs for him...

Remember one guy coming across someone sat in "his" seat... Instead of just saying, excuses me lads I have ticket for these seats... He hurls out ":censored:ing move"... Totally no need... He had a kid with him as well, the mind boggles...

Its all horrible behaviour and helped destroy the lie we are all tics out together... The way some of our own treat each other is horrible at times...

Edited by oafc0000