Liverpool Game - Some of our Idiot Contingent....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the working class game. It's everyone's - or at least we need to view it as such if we're ever to progress. The only way I can see club's like ours thriving is to belong to the community - by being inclusive, accessible and by being different to the bigger clubs in the area.

Of course I don't want it to be sanitised. Saturday afternoons will always be the time and place where people can vent, sing, rant and support their team, and so they should, but there will always be a line. We need to accept that football operates in the entertainment/ leisure industry and, to an extent, our survival depends on competing for the same money that families will spend going to the cinema, days out or what have you.

I was in row 6 of block 125 with my 5yo son on my knee so he could see. Quite a few around me had obviously made a day of it but they were great. They stood up when appropriate but, thankfully, not longer than necessary as when I stood up I needed to scoop my lad up with me and he's not a baby anymore. One 'merry' soul behind me even tried chatting to my (shy) lad but was completely non-threatening and had him laughing. I told him not to worry about fruity language/ chants (when he apologised for using it) because my son knows which words can and can't be used and he wasn't aggresive or constant with it.

However, I could see how in other blocks, there were problems that would have ruined our night whereby simple consideration for others would have alleviated any problems.

Spot on mate. I can relate to all you say .Close friends apart I just wish me and my 5 year old had sat close to you and had the same experience. Sadly we were subject to immature juvenile insults and persistent ignorance throughout the game. Cannot see any posts from them justifying their behaviour just yet......

Bit harsh, it's hardly the crime of the century.

Explain your comment, 'doing this for the benefit of the club.' Think you missing the point here.

I have every right to speak my mind, 5 of there lot had given it for the majority of the game with the Liverpudlian stewards turning a blind eye.

Don't turn this into a witch hunt when you clearly didn't see the matter or was anywhere near it.

I'm glad you had such a great time dressed up as a Frog.

Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a witch hunt, but your attitude reminded me so much of the 5 or so lads who stood in front of us for the whole of the game. You have just put yourself forward to be shot at but you've gotta admit that you have not covered yourself in glory. Its just that it's so frustrating having some lads in their mid twenties assuming that I'm only at Anfield for a one off occasion when many of us have been loyal regular supporters for the majority of our lifes.

Edited by meat pie sausage roll

Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a witch hunt, but your attitude reminded me so much of the 5 or so lads who stood in front of us for the whole of the game. You have just put yourself forward to be shot at but you've gotta admit that you have not covered yourself in glory. Its just that it's so frustrating having some lads in their mid twenties assuming that I'm only at Anfield for a one off occasion when many of us have been loyal regular supporter for the majority of our lifes.

Fair doo's mate ,i can understand where your coming from. Hope you had an enjoyable experience as i did.

Let me know next time your dressing up as an Animal, i'll probably join you in that one.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. :-)

So plenty of comments from a range of supporters covering the length and breadth of the Anfield Rd Lower criticising the behaviour of the those who cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds or so.....

I invite the boys from block 122 row 19 seats 17 - 24 to provide an eloquent balanced argument in justifying their behaviour on Friday night.

Please?

So plenty of comments from a range of supporters covering the length and breadth of the Anfield Rd Lower criticising the behaviour of the those who cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds or so.....

I invite the boys from block 122 row 19 seats 17 - 24 to provide an eloquent balanced argument in justifying their behaviour on Friday night.

Please?

We were sat in front of them on row 18.

At the end of the game one of them was bragging that he had recieved an appology from someone behind, saying that he's a credit to the club and it's good to see fans with passion.

I didn't realise those who were taken out by the stewards were let back in until I turned around and saw one sat down almost in tears.

PS thanks to the guy sat in front on row 17 who did his best not to block my 9 yr old nephew's view. Shame we couldn't block out the language from behind.

What do people expect to see at a football match nowadays? No drunks,no swearing,no standing up? Come on people you know it goes on. If we get to wembley I take it a lot of people won't be going in case a drunk stands up and swears. It happens at probably every ground in the country at some point during the season. Before you went to Anfield on our biggest night for years what did you seriously think you would see?

Maybe some fans were out of order but think people are being a bit melodramatic here. Heard people moaning when everyone stood up when Kuqi was clean through etc and i bet these people couldnt wait to get home to voice their displeasure on the forum! Fair enough to those who had a genuine gripe as there were a few people i wouldnt want to have been stuck behind but think there are a section of fans (and society in general) who just love to exaggerate the case and moan about anything and everything!

I was block 123 row 20. Being a short-arse, I found that the kid (maybe about 10?) in front of me standing up for minutes at a time blocked my view. I tugged on his shirt and asked him to sit down. He turned to the adult with him to tell him what I said. I felt a bit sad inside that I was expecting a mouthful from him. Nope, he was being told to be considerate. No confrontation. Nothing.

I did have to tug his shirt a few times when he got excited and forgot to sit down, but no worries.

If I want to stand, I go further back in the stand. If I have no choice, I gauge whose view I might block. If I'm asked to sit down, I do. If I get excited and need to stand up (usually because people in front if me have), I sit down as soon as possible. Not rocket science.

I was row 12 block 123. everytime the people in front stood up i had to in order to see. an elderley couple behind me were screaming for me to sit down. i didn't actually know they were screaming at me. there was no tap on the shoulder or polite asking...just screaming. i calmly explained that the 11 rows in front were standing and i had to in order to see. their attitude was disgusting.

I found myself for the most part, neither seated nor standing. A sort of apologetic half crouch for the benefit of the poor chap behind me, but high enough to pier over the shoulders and between the heads of the morons a few rows in front. Resembled a nodding dog at times with one leg behind the other ready to spring up to attain a full clear few should the need arise. Still aching 3 days later.

Maybe if we get to Wembley this is something the club can look it. From the moment the draw was made i knew this would happen. There is no excuse for personal abuse or remarks towards direct individual Oldham fans. I saw two of the young lads removed and can say knowing both are sound good lads. One who does lots of games and help with one of the local pub arrangements for this game. Maybe the fact they go week in week out in front off 200 or so fans being use to stand up shout and cheer trying to get an atmopshere going its hard being told to sat down at what is the big one for them.

Someone people compained about the songs sung to be fair other than the Everton one most sounded as normal as we get at most games. Lets be fair alot of the songs away from home come from the Oasis lads, Junction Inn and Rifle Range. Maybe the club could allocate 500 or seats and call it the singing area maybe sold direct through them.

Also if you go on facebook the lad with the drum at home games seems a small number of them mainly younger fans are doing there best to generate an atmopshere. What has impressed me alot is the number of younger fans making the long distance trips nowdays.

I was quite lucky, i was in block 125 about halfway up. We had the whole meerkat thing pretty synchronised with no major battles to report.

Think its more petty arguements different sort of fans some just want to sit and watch the match others want to sing and shout.

Unable to quote as on phone, but am I reading it right, some moaning about lads turning up pissed? I am to be fair half way thru a gruelling 12hr night shift so maybe misread it, or just completely missed the point, but.its a.:censored:ing ridiculous thing to say. Working 40 hr weeks putting up with all sorts of :censored: for minimum wage just to put some grub on the table , I think anyone is entitled to a drink at the end of the week. Who the :censored: has the right to tell someone when theyve had too much? I was stood the first 5 mins, I was pissed, had been.looking forward to the day since before we'd even beat southend in.the replay, so yeah I was steaming and adrenaline pumping the first 5 mins, singing.my heart out and people were pulling at me from behind to tell me to sit. I told them to get :censored:ed, Im not proud of myself but beer plus adrenaline and high emotion can bring out the worse in people. I asked the question, where were you at southend? Because I, in a drunken state, thought I was basically being told I wasnt allowed to enjoy the occasion, but instead sacrifice my enjoyment just so otgers behind didnt have to stand. I apologised at half time to those I spoke wrongly too, and as I say I do regret it, but to criticise people for drinking excessively and containing there emotions at the same time , given the immense occasion, is ridiculous.

See you all at stevenage anyway. Well, 403 of you anyway. ;)

Maybe some fans were out of order but think people are being a bit melodramatic here. Heard people moaning when everyone stood up when Kuqi was clean through etc and i bet these people couldnt wait to get home to voice their displeasure on the forum! Fair enough to those who had a genuine gripe as there were a few people i wouldnt want to have been stuck behind but think there are a section of fans (and society in general) who just love to exaggerate the case and moan about anything and everything!

Bit of an understatement that. I can understand the gripes about people standing up, but complaining about people swearing!? At a football game!? Really!?

Quite a strong word 'vile'.

1. The little scrote was at it all game and when he got a taste of his own medicene he didnt like it.

Pathetic. Where were you, in the playground.

2. He was hardly teenager, he was 20 at least.

He obviously wanted to wind someone up and you fell for it.

3. Yes my language might have been a lot to be desired for, but were at at football match not watching Cats at the Royal Albert hall.

From other posts on here from those who heard you it seems you were way over the top of whats normal bad language even for a football game.

4. Im not little

We know, you're a real big he man. A Latics hero.

5. Obviously you have seen the whole matter through blinkers and i hope you enjoyed your first match since 1994.

Even if it was someones 1st game since 1994 what's that got to do with your behaviour.

I can't seem to grasp the comment 'your language throughout the game was nothing short of vile', it was only when i was taunted after the equaliser that i voiced my opinions back.

You were taunted and had to to respond. Says it all.

Each to there own i say, you obviously haven't been to many intense football matches where language and emotions tend to run quite high.

There wasn't any children present around me, if you don't like it don't listen to it.

If only that were possible.

I've heard ticket sales for Westside Story are booming at present, fancy a Prawn Sandwich.

R.I.P The working class game.

I agree with you there. The working class game - being ruined by a few selfish yobs who can't hold their drink.

Edited by laticsrblue

No drunks,no swearing,no standing up?

There is no doubt a lot of people with children would probably love that... Lot of people who can't stand also, disabled / elderly....

Football is having a mild identity criss at the moment... Well I say moment, its been going on for about 20 years now..

Everyone (well most), want stadiums full and want families to come... but a lot of people want the same level of behaviour we had in the 1980s... (well minus the hoolganism) It doesn't match with a family day out.

Been thinking about when to take my daughter to her first game. If I am honest... I don't think I want to be sat there while the bloke next to me tells the referee exactly what he thinks of him using some words I have probably never heard of, let alone the kid. I accept Football is an adult environment, just like a lot of people on here want. I think football wants it to be a family environment, and of course, some of the fans on here.

CLASH!

I think in general terms though, a lot of the standing up without a care for others and people screaming at each other is just a sad reflection on our messed up society and little to do with football though. I don't think its a new thing. People have always been *****

Edited by oafc0000

I was quite lucky, i was in block 125 about halfway up. We had the whole meerkat thing pretty synchronised with no major battles to report.

Same here, block 125 row 25. I'm 6 foot tall and about as wide, if I was able to stand in front of myself I doubt I'd see much. No one tapped me on my shoulder when I stood up during peak moments as allowed in the ground regulations, I then returned to a seated position until either the people in front of me stood up or the nature instinct took over. Blimey, I even stood up during a "Stand up if you love Oldham" chant and I never do that usually.

Sorry if this is disjointed but i've been putting bits together as i read through the post

I was towards the back (row 32) of Block 125....I had a 7 year old nephew with me who, pretty much stood on his seat for the game. He wasn't blocking anyones view and the guys in front sat down as much as they could so fair play to them....but when 31 rows in front stand up, you quite simply have to stand up! We've all been to football matches and we knew what to expect so no reason to moan.

My nephew knows what is and isn't swearing and he laughs and calls people naughty when they swear - so we're not too bothereed about people being drunk or swearing. I think the attitude on here is at two different poles when it needs to be somewhere in the middle. Some people on here are moaning about too much (drunk/swearing), and some people pushed the boundaries too far (aggresive to away fans / refusing to sit). I like standing, but in a seated stand, i'll only ever stand up when something happens, and when i'm ready, i'll sit down. Why should i be told to sit down when the ball is out of play? One woman behind me moaned when i went for a whizz and the ball was out of play.

if you go to games, you have to accept that people will stand and swear.....you have to accept that some people enjoy watching football in a different way than you. I'm not saying you have to put up with nastiness and disgraceful behaviour,, but you really can't expect the finest of behaviour. My dad took me from an early age, and to be honest, it was the atmposphere that got me hooked. Apart from the times i sat on the advertising boards to watch the game, all i saw for 90 mins was the back of people's heads. I enjoyed the noise and the banter and that is why i still go. My nephew enjoys the atmosphere (although under the roof on fri he said the noise hurt his ears) and he gets a bit bored without it.

I too had been looking forward to the game for a long time, and i was always gonna make sure i enjoyed it. I travelled to southend for the 2nd round and there weren't 6000 people there so in my head - i deserved it more than a fair percentage of the people who were there. Call that wrong or right...i don't care.

Sorry if this is disjointed but i've been putting bits together as i read through the post

I was towards the back (row 32) of Block 125....I had a 7 year old nephew with me who, pretty much stood on his seat for the game. He wasn't blocking anyones view and the guys in front sat down as much as they could so fair play to them....but when 31 rows in front stand up, you quite simply have to stand up! We've all been to football matches and we knew what to expect so no reason to moan.

My nephew knows what is and isn't swearing and he laughs and calls people naughty when they swear - so we're not too bothereed about people being drunk or swearing. I think the attitude on here is at two different poles when it needs to be somewhere in the middle. Some people on here are moaning about too much (drunk/swearing), and some people pushed the boundaries too far (aggresive to away fans / refusing to sit). I like standing, but in a seated stand, i'll only ever stand up when something happens, and when i'm ready, i'll sit down. Why should i be told to sit down when the ball is out of play? One woman behind me moaned when i went for a whizz and the ball was out of play.

if you go to games, you have to accept that people will stand and swear.....you have to accept that some people enjoy watching football in a different way than you. I'm not saying you have to put up with nastiness and disgraceful behaviour,, but you really can't expect the finest of behaviour. My dad took me from an early age, and to be honest, it was the atmposphere that got me hooked. Apart from the times i sat on the advertising boards to watch the game, all i saw for 90 mins was the back of people's heads. I enjoyed the noise and the banter and that is why i still go. My nephew enjoys the atmosphere (although under the roof on fri he said the noise hurt his ears) and he gets a bit bored without it.

I too had been looking forward to the game for a long time, and i was always gonna make sure i enjoyed it. I travelled to southend for the 2nd round and there weren't 6000 people there so in my head - i deserved it more than a fair percentage of the people who were there. Call that wrong or right...i don't care.

I would stand up to clap that post, but the person behind me might not be able to read it..

Well said.

Edited by pukka

The issues (for me) weren't the swearing (I've been known to swear myself and know all the words :blush: ) - It wasn't the standing up when things got exciting - I wouldn't expect model behaviour at a footy match - It wasn't the inane and neanderthal gesturing to opposition fans either - if people want to make themselves look ridiculous in public, then who am I to judge ?

WHAT I DID OBJECT TO was, after politely being asked to sit down (and it was the first time I asked after 20 minutes of the game), was nasty intimidating swearing reply directed back. The aggression on their obviously booze affected faces was quite apparent and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for any such behaviour. As I said, we had a five year old AND my wife who was quite obviously distressed.

Ive enjoyed the debate of the thread, and I agree with some of the suggestions, but the hostility and the excuses for such behaviour doesn't wash with me at all. To condone it by suggesting they have a right because they go to all the away games is ridiculous, and is the reason football fans are treated like cattle. We'll never be rid of it I know, but it doesn't mean that we, the majority, have to accept it, does it ?

Edited by z3spacial

WHAT I DID OBJECT TO was, after politely being asked to sit down (and it was the first time I asked after 20 minutes of the game), was nasty intimidating swearing reply directed back. The aggression on their obviously booze affected faces was quite apparent and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for any such behaviour. As I said, we had a five year old AND my wife who was quite obviously distressed.

To condone it by suggesting they have a right because they go to all the away games is ridiculous

I don't know if you quoted my post as this is the one you were talking about or just clicked reply but....

I did say you shouldn't have to put up with disgraceful behaviour - so i agree with you there

On the second part, i didn put i felt like i deserved it, but when i said i meant i was going to enjoy it, i simply meant nobody standing up, swearing, or doing anything else would stop me. That was a night i travel all over the country for, so why let anyone else spoil it.

Took a mate and his 7yr old lad to bp a few times now, been in both the chaddy and the rre. The young lad is bored and wants to go home at half time when we are in the chaddy, regardless of the score, but loves it to bits when we are in the rre, he wants to sit as close as possible to the singers and the drum, he couldn't care less if he can't see much of the game. Maybe when the new stand is built we could have that as a family stand, the old main stand could be used for anyone that likes to moan, the chaddy for people who like a bit of peace and quiet during the game and the rre for the singers.