Goal poacher required

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that when a striker is worth peanuts they may be at too a low level to be worth the risk, ever player needs to earn their wage. It's a shame but the truth is it would be a brave move to try and get a Matt Tubes before he is worth thousands of pounds.

Crawley did it, Tubbs was 7 years scoring goals at Salisbury before they signed him.

Edited by BP1960

You can beg to differ, but you or I may never know if he could have made the grade or not, he never had or probably won't get the chance.

BTW instead of coming out with sarcastic comments I would like your opinion on Gardner of Droylsden, it would make interesting reading.

Eh?

What?

What do you mean - i was refering to the fact that you said Matt Smith wasn't locally scouted. I refered you to the fact that he lived & played football in Manchester for 3 years - and took a stint playing for a local non-league side during that time; suggesting he was indeed scouted locally by us..

I don't know what you're meaning in the bolded bit - but i think dreaming of Droylsden's amazing passing football too much has finally sent you dolally?????

Of, & I haven't got a scooby do about Gardner - never seen him. So, on that basis I say sign him up; he's the solution to all our goal scoring problems. - oh, there's a real sarcastic comment for you; you seemed keen for me to type one.

:shock::blink: :blink:

Edited by slystallone

Aye we need a poacher.

Harry Kane, highly rated at Spurs, might be available for first-team football. Has played in Euro cup this season, but way behind Adebayor, Defoe and Pav in pecking order, Perhaps worth an enquiry to see if available for loan?

Eh?

What?

What do you mean - i was refering to the fact that you said Matt Smith wasn't locally scouted. I refered you to the fact that he lived & played football in Manchester for 3 years - and took a stint playing for a local non-league side during that time; suggesting he was indeed scouted locally by us..

I don't know what you're meaning in the bolded bit - but i think dreaming of Droylsden's amazing passing football too much has finally sent you dolally?????

Of, & I haven't got a scooby do about Gardner - never seen him. So, on that basis I say sign him up; he's the solution to all our goal scoring problems. - oh, there's a real sarcastic comment for you; you seemed keen for me to type one.

:shock::blink: :blink:

Smith was playing for Solihull at the time Latics signed him and his spell with Droylsden wasn't a success.

I welcome your opinions on other than Latics players.

Edited by BP1960

Here's another:

1822: DONE DEAL Here's an interesting one I meant to tell you about earlier - Crystal Palace have signed 21-year-old Margate striker Kwesi Appiah, who has scored 35 goals in 33 games for the Gate in the Ryman League Premier Division this season. Not a bad turnaround for a man who was released by Blue Square Bet South side Thurrock in the summer. Appiah almost joined Blackpool earlier in January - is he the new Ian Wright?

Here's another:

1822: DONE DEAL Here's an interesting one I meant to tell you about earlier - Crystal Palace have signed 21-year-old Margate striker Kwesi Appiah, who has scored 35 goals in 33 games for the Gate in the Ryman League Premier Division this season. Not a bad turnaround for a man who was released by Blue Square Bet South side Thurrock in the summer. Appiah almost joined Blackpool earlier in January - is he the new Ian Wright?

Crystal Palace have also just signed a 17yo from the same club.

I'd love nothing more than for us to cherrypick a natural born lower league Jordan Rhodes but the likelhood of it happening is massively against us every time. I think Matty Smith could easily turn out to be a Porter type if he just manages to get a little composure in his game when it comes to finishing. Next season he should see much more game time and develop a bit more.

As for scouring the lower leagues, it all looks very easy but as others have said, there are far more that look so promising but yet deliver so little when they make the step up. We have gambled in the past and it hasn't paid off. I'm sure we'll keep trying though.

I get the feeling BP won't rest until we've picked up anyone from Droylsden though. ^_^

I'd love nothing more than for us to cherrypick a natural born lower league Jordan Rhodes but the likelhood of it happening is massively against us every time. I think Matty Smith could easily turn out to be a Porter type if he just manages to get a little composure in his game when it comes to finishing. Next season he should see much more game time and develop a bit more.

As for scouring the lower leagues, it all looks very easy but as others have said, there are far more that look so promising but yet deliver so little when they make the step up. We have gambled in the past and it hasn't paid off. I'm sure we'll keep trying though.

I get the feeling BP won't rest until we've picked up anyone from Droylsden though. ^_^

Or Latics play them in a match :wink:

Edited by BP1960

Crystal Palace have also just signed a 17yo from the same club.

Dulwich Hamlet, actually. They have an link-up with them. Interesting set up at Dulwich as it goes. It's essentially an academy for players released by professional clubs.

PS. Palace spent c.£50k on Chambers. Hardly pocket change, especially for an unproven 17yo.

Do Latics send scouts to Droyslden?

(Genuine question, not being sarcastic.)

More to the point if Droylsden are the hot bed of talent that BP1960 says they are shouldn't they have now overtaken us?

On a more serious note I usually find BP1960's posts quite insightful into talent spotting however I can't help but look at our own recent experience taking on non league players, have we signed anyone in recent times who has come in and been an unqualified success? Fitz Hall was but that was 8 years ago Ernie Cooksey had very moderate success again 7 years ago but who in more recent times? and we have made several attempts.

Crawley just signed Karl Hawley and Billy Clarke.........if only we had a few bob!!!!

We should have sold Taylor when he was in demand and splashed some of the proceeds on a decent striker.

We have enough wingers at the club and I don't think we would miss Taylor at all!

Dulwich Hamlet, actually. They have an link-up with them. Interesting set up at Dulwich as it goes. It's essentially an academy for players released by professional clubs.

PS. Palace spent c.£50k on Chambers. Hardly pocket change, especially for an unproven 17yo.

This- I think the last time we spent that sort of money was for Dean Furman, I know who I'd want and it isn't some 17 yo from South London.

*News just in...

Oldham in talks with the fat scouser who handcuffed himself to the goalpost at Everton tonight.

Dickov was extremely excited at the fact that unlike the current crop of players at the moment, he knows where the goal is :grin:

*Shamelessly plagiarised from the brother

Edited by Lookers_Carl

More to the point if Droylsden are the hot bed of talent that BP1960 says they are shouldn't they have now overtaken us?

On a more serious note I usually find BP1960's posts quite insightful into talent spotting however I can't help but look at our own recent experience taking on non league players, have we signed anyone in recent times who has come in and been an unqualified success? Fitz Hall was but that was 8 years ago Ernie Cooksey had very moderate success again 7 years ago but who in more recent times? and we have made several attempts.

The answer to your question is full time training and diets,it makes a vast diference with part time players often working on a matchday morning or sometimes getting home after a night match in the early hours of the morning stopping off for curry and chips then starting work on an early shift. It must take its toll no matter how skilful an individual is.

Latics may have failed with in general with non league signings, but plenty of league clubs have reaped rich rewards.

I am not saying we sign every player, but I'd like to see some local non league talent given a run out with the reserves just to see if they are better than what we have got.

We have seen quite a few who have appeared in our first team squad this season look poor playing for the reserves, some of these will be in non league themselves before too long, in other words money lost on their development - which all adds up.

Edited by BP1960