Goal poacher required

This team will not progress until a goal poacher is signed, Simpson a fine player but not a recognised goalscorer and Kuqi is not the fox in the box type of player required.

With the Latics defence rarely keeping a clean sheet it means results are likely to be draws or defeats.

They are not hard to find, Matt Tubbs of Crawley spent most of his career in non league and yesterday was sold for £800,000.

Vardy of Fleetwood is now touted at £1 million after many seasons in the Unibond league, and Liam Hearn of Grimsby is destined for the Championship after spending most of his career in the Blue Square North.

Ok Matt Smith was signed from this kind of background, but he cannot be classed as a goal poacher.

All those I have mentioned are over 25 years of age with a long record of finding the net, there dozens similar still around in non league like these just waiting for someone to give them a chance.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And, sadly, usually involving large transfer fees these days, which rules us out. Our financial muscle means we'd have to look lower down the pyramid, where the step-up is much higher and where some players may want more compensation for going full-time. I had high hopes for Bradley Bubb when he went to Aldershot, but he's not made the first team and doesn't look likely to.

I'm a fan of bringing on non-league talent, but it's not as cheap as some (not you, BP) seem to think, and I'm sure there are more stories of failure than success.

And, sadly, usually involving large transfer fees these days, which rules us out. Our financial muscle means we'd have to look lower down the pyramid, where the step-up is much higher and where some players may want more compensation for going full-time. I had high hopes for Bradley Bubb when he went to Aldershot, but he's not made the first team and doesn't look likely to.

I'm a fan of bringing on non-league talent, but it's not as cheap as some (not you, BP) seem to think, and I'm sure there are more stories of failure than success.

The point is Crusoe all those players mentioned could be bought for peanuts at the right time, it's finding that right time which is the crucial in the art of scouting.

As for failures I reckon a bigger percentage fail from youth team set ups than those brought in from non league.

Here's a list to chew on, you can bet some of these names will move into the football league costing very little some time in the future;

My link

Edited by BP1960

thats true in football transfers full stop.

In my opinion, The key is getting a good manager and to back them. The manager who implements his style onto the team. That doesn't mean by splashing loads of cash - it can mean loan deals and freebies. Hill at Rochdale and now barnsley has proven what can be done.

The problem with this is that goalscorers are IN FACT very hard to find hence big sums you get for them plus how many would want to play for Oldham or could we afford, i agree we are missing one but as said so are 20 of the 24 clubs in our division so i think that the midfield need to chip in with a few more and we need to be more of a threat at set-peices

The problem with this is that goalscorers are IN FACT very hard to find hence big sums you get for them plus how many would want to play for Oldham or could we afford, i agree we are missing one but as said so are 20 of the 24 clubs in our division so i think that the midfield need to chip in with a few more and we need to be more of a threat at set-peices

threat from set pieces will never happen until we learn how to put the ball into the danger zone properly and hitting our own players...i dont think we have had more than 2 decent crosses lately.

as for goal scorers...yup we need one and quick...other teams manage to find one but never seem to be able to do it...

threat from set pieces will never happen until we learn how to put the ball into the danger zone properly and hitting our own players...i dont think we have had more than 2 decent crosses lately.

as for goal scorers...yup we need one and quick...other teams manage to find one but never seem to be able to do it...

E have found a few in the not too distant past. Davies & O'Grady spring to mind.

This team will not progress until a goal poacher is signed, Simpson a fine player but not a recognised goalscorer and Kuqi is not the fox in the box type of player required.

With the Latics defence rarely keeping a clean sheet it means results are likely to be draws or defeats.

They are not hard to find, Matt Tubbs of Crawley spent most of his career in non league and yesterday was sold for £800,000.

Vardy of Fleetwood is now touted at £1 million after many seasons in the Unibond league, and Liam Hearn of Grimsby is destined for the Championship after spending most of his career in the Blue Square North.

Ok Matt Smith was signed from this kind of background, but he cannot be classed as a goal poacher.

All those I have mentioned are over 25 years of age with a long record of finding the net, there dozens similar still around in non league like these just waiting for someone to give them a chance.

I take your point BP, but as Cru has said, if you look at fees that strikers from the Blue Square have gone for over recent seasons - the likes of MacClean, Mackail-Smith, Boyd, Morison, Benson...and now Tubbs; they're all well out of our price range. Spending £150K+ minimum on a non-league striker is pipe dream stuff for us.

Getting them before they cost that much is, as you say, key - but it's not like this current management group haven't tried that approach. It has previously been a stick to beat the club with - but with Dean Kelly last season & Matt Smith this season - it's not as though we aren't currently trying is it?

----

Kuqi showed in his purple patch that he was still capable of sniffing out the chances. We need to get back to the style of play we were playing at that stage........high press, high tempo stuff; working the ball into goal-scoring positions.

I have to disagree, goalscorers are not hard to find, there are plenty who could do the job if given a chance, unfortunately we will never know how many would have made the football league grade as no one gave them that chance.

I can tell you many clubs scouts haven't a clue what talent there is out there in non league, for example I mentioned a a few local names of to a Championship club scout the other day and he replied 'never heard of any of them', this is not untypical.

I assume Latics scouts are in touch with the North West non league scene, but how many local trialists do you see turn out for the reserves - virtually none.

Edited by BP1960

I take your point BP, but as Cru has said, if you look at fees that strikers from the Blue Square have gone for over recent seasons - the likes of MacClean, Mackail-Smith, Boyd, Morison, Benson...and now Tubbs; they're all well out of our price range. Spending £150K+ minimum on a non-league striker is pipe dream stuff for us.

Getting them before they cost that much is, as you say, key - but it's not like this current management group haven't tried that approach. It has previously been a stick to beat the club with - but with Dean Kelly last season & Matt Smith this season - it's not as though we aren't currently trying is it?

----

Kuqi showed in his purple patch that he was still capable of sniffing out the chances. We need to get back to the style of play we were playing at that stage........high press, high tempo stuff; working the ball into goal-scoring positions.

Dean Kelly and Matt Smith were not local though, Latics don't do local it seems.

Mike Norton of FC United is a prolific goalscorer, has been with every club he's appeared at, also scoring against league clubs in the F.A Cup. Could he score goals in the football league ? - we will probably never know.

Edited by BP1960

Dean Kelly and Matt Smith were not local though, Latics don't do local it seems.

Mike Norton of FC United is a prolific goalscorer, has been with every club he's been, also scoring against league clubs in the F.A Cup. Could he score goals in the football league ? - we will probably never know.

3 years at Manchester Uni and a stint a your beloved Bloods beg to differ.......

I understand your point BP but, as I have mentioned on here before, the wages a non-league striker would be offered at Latics are, in many cases, not going to match the money he is on drawing a non-league wage plus a day job.

If the player wants to give the uncertainty of a career in fulltime foptball a go, has the ambition if you like,and take a cut in salary then fair enough but not all of them want to move out of their financial comfort zone - and that's reasonable.

I'm not having a go but there are several clubs not far from us who aren't picking up goalscoring gems from non-league. Either the gems aren't so plentiful or all the scouts are poor or there's another reason, and it may well be down to wages.

The point is Crusoe all those players mentioned could be bought for peanuts at the right time, it's finding that right time which is the crucial in the art of scouting.

But this isn't anywhere near as easy or risk-free as some make it sound. Once they're proven goalscorers, they cost a lot. Before they are proven goalscorers, there's very little to go on to suggest they will be, which makes signing them a risk.

But this isn't anywhere near as easy or risk-free as some make it sound. Once they're proven goalscorers, they cost a lot. Before they are proven goalscorers, there's very little to go on to suggest they will be, which makes signing them a risk.

Most signings are a risk, it's what clubs have to do.

Edited by BP1960

As for failures I reckon a bigger percentage fail from youth team set ups than those brought in from non league.

Here's a list to chew on, you can bet some of these names will move into the football league costing very little some time in the future;

My link

Didn't take long for someone to move in for one on the list, Crystal Palace today signed Kwisia Appiah from Margate, 2 years ago he was knocking about with Brackley and Thurrock.

Admitted Latics could not compete with Palace, but 2 years ago he was there for the taking for next to nothing.

There's more out there for sure.

Edited by BP1960

3 years at Manchester Uni and a stint a your beloved Bloods beg to differ.......

You can beg to differ, but you or I may never know if he could have made the grade or not, he never had or probably won't get the chance.

BTW instead of coming out with sarcastic comments I would like your opinion on Gardner of Droylsden, it would make interesting reading.

I have given my opinion, there is no Latics midfielder anywhere near his ability, nor in Division One.

Edited by BP1960