I might be mad

Simon Corney stated I believe (either just before or just after we beat southend) that even if we got to the 3rd round of the cup vs Liverpool, and reached wembley, we would still be on course to lose half a million.

If you do the maths based on those figures then I imagine we are surely looking at round about 1 million.

This loss. Who is funding it?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it was said at the beginning of the season that we'd lose £1 million over the course of 2011/12.

Factor in the Liverpool game and two Sky TV appearances, which wouldn't have figured in that calculation, I reckon we'll have cut a big chunk off that amount. I'd guess it's more like £600k.

We got £18,000 for winning in FA Cup Round 1, and an extra £27,000 for winning in Round 2.

Also prize money for winning Johnstone Paint Trophy games (in 2008, whoever won in first round got around £4,000 not sure on figures now though).

Then factor in money from selling Stephens, compensation for Evina and Smalley (might be smallish figurs but it all adds up!)

To the OP; yes - you are mad. At the start of the season; i thought people (inc PD it has to be said) who were talking up our chances of reaching the playoff's were on loopy juice.......but to even think we have a remote chance now is just plain mental. We're nowhere near good enough - we weren't at the start of the season; and we're not now either.

As for next season - it's a big concern. I think most realise that, once again, the budget will be slashed again - and will IMO be one of the bottom 4/5 in the league. Given the fact that so many of the 1st choice starting X1 are out of contract, I would wager we'll struggle to sign up 1.3 of those out of contract; if that?

As things stand, with who we have contracted; if i'm right about the deals for the youngsters, we are looking at:

Cisak

Mellor

M'Voto

Tarkowski

No RB

No RW

Winchester

No CM

Marsh-Brown (if option exercised)

Smith

No CF

Think Hughes & Carr might have another year each? If so, Carr could be the RB & Hughes swaps with Neo on the LW, Neo on the RW........

BUT, that is sooooooooo worrying. Obviously we'd add to that starting base; but with what quality on such a low budget? Even with 3 or 4 additions to that; it's a side that would struggle in the bottom places of the league below.

I'm not worried about this season - as other's have said; for a start there are definately 4 teams worse than us....and i think we'll be on for a finish around where we are now; league placings wise. It's next season that concerns me.........

1-latuda-schizophrenia.jpg

Haha love it!

Yes it's a big ask but it's certainly not out of the question, we have games in hand, factor in that and we beat Stevenage means we're not too far away.

Remember Blackpool being no where in the league, all of a sudden they beat us then go on a winning run, gain confidence and momentum and hey ho their in the play-offs and walk it!

Yes long shot but achievable, our side is a good footballing side, some other clubs say one of the best in league but we can't find back of net, we certainly can't fail to score week in week out with over 20 shots a game, our luck will turn.

You heard it here first, now I'm off to take my tablets Stevie suggested :)

KTF

To the OP; yes - you are mad. At the start of the season; i thought people (inc PD it has to be said) who were talking up our chances of reaching the playoff's were on loopy juice.......but to even think we have a remote chance now is just plain mental. We're nowhere near good enough - we weren't at the start of the season; and we're not now either.

As for next season - it's a big concern. I think most realise that, once again, the budget will be slashed again - and will IMO be one of the bottom 4/5 in the league. Given the fact that so many of the 1st choice starting X1 are out of contract, I would wager we'll struggle to sign up 1.3 of those out of contract; if that?

As things stand, with who we have contracted; if i'm right about the deals for the youngsters, we are looking at:

Cisak

Mellor

M'Voto

Tarkowski

No RB

No RW

Winchester

No CM

Smith

No CF

Think Hughes & Carr might have another year each? If so, Carr could be the RB & Hughes swaps with Neo on the LW, Neo on the RW........

BUT, that is sooooooooo worrying. Obviously we'd add to that starting base; but with what quality on such a low budget? Even with 3 or 4 additions to that; it's a side that would struggle in the bottom places of the league below.

I'm not worried about this season - as other's have said; for a start there are definately 4 teams worse than us....and i think we'll be on for a finish around where we are now; league placings wise. It's next season that concerns me.........

It's concerning your list shows at least 8 places to fill as the youths(except Tarkowski)won't start IMO.

Well the chron said the projected shortfall was over 1 million, how much over is anyones guess.

I would also not count out the possibility that the average gate that the club budgeted on will be lower than what they thought, primarily because of a drop in home support. Eg Rochdale at home, only 5266, bury at home only 5149. Whilst I dont think the club would have banked on full houses for these by any means, I don't think anyone would have considered the club foolish if they anticipated gates of over 6000 for both games especially the rochdale one.

And the sky money for the MK Dons game would only have gone towards ofsetting the 2400 attendance, with the sky money from chesterfield ofsetting the drastically reduced admission price.

Tonight's Chron says:

"It is a big test for Paul and a big test for the players now," said Corney, who reckons that a Wembley victory would have been worth £500,000 – including prize money half of the club's predicted losses for the season – to Athletic.

"It is a big game for us in three days' time against Leyton Orient at Boundary Park and we need to win at home.

"We have to start winning games. Last season, we only won two of our final 19 games and a similar run now would leave us in trouble."

Cisak

Mellor

M'Voto

Tarkowski

No RB

No RW

Winchester

No CM

Smith

No CF

Working on a lower budget didn't really concern PD this summer and he made some shrewd transfer moves and seems to be developing good links with other clubs (see City for loans) to get youngsters in cheap. I think we'll be able to replace the current squad with adequate players who will keep us up as long as Dickov is in charge, I just hope he's still interested in completely rebuilding the squad again. It could be very demoralising for him to see that a lot of the best players that he's built the current team around are out of contract (Lee, Diamond, Furman, Wes, Taylor, Simpson, Kuqi and possibly others) and that the smart move for those players would be to take better deals at other clubs.

For the record, I think Lee, Diamond and Parker will sign one year deals for next season whereas the rest of the out of contract lot will either reject new offers or be released.

Going back to the point of the losses expected prior to the cup run

£1m i

£83k per month

£20k per week

£43k per game

If you take an average of 1 full and 1 concession per 2 peple that is £15.

That is 3,000 fans per match needed

Very worrying

Half those figures I guess after the cuo run, and it stilld oes not look great.