Chairman's important announcement

dramatic??

I think some one is taking the michael.

Price reduction for absolutely meaningless matches,poor team,even worse facilities.

even with this 'dramtic' announcement i think we'll struggle to get 5k at home games.

And thats being generous.

all today has done is make the PR team look even more stupid than imagineable.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong and I will be taking the offer up, but I am a little annoyed at the fact it's once again us stayaways that get the incentive rather than the ones who follow the club everywhere getting the thanks.

Friends of mine are still paying £300+ for a season ticket and spending £70+ every other week travelling all over the country with little thanks of their time and effort supporting the club.

I'm glad I stopped getting a season ticket the other year and following the club all over as there is absolutely no incentive to get one and no thanks for doing so. You get spoonfed all this garbage every summer about how much you'll save but year on year (for the last few since I had a season ticket at least). Numerous offers crop up for the stay away fan.

It's £15 of my money the club will get that they wouldnt have, and I know the situation we are in financially that an offer like this was inevitable but isnt it time season ticket holders are given a reward to thank them for their efforts for the continuing support despite the dwindling crowds around them.

Season ticket holders year on year at Latics are overlooked

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Ok,

Firstly, i'm a little bit peeved as a season ticket holder that five games i've paid about £65 for can now be watched for £15 and i feel entitled to feel like that if i choose - I understand those that don't feel the same way, and you're entitled to that opinion. I struggled this year, i had to sell a couple of personal items in order to still be able to afford a season ticket but i did it.

I'm all for getting people into boundary park - of course i am, i'm behind the club and i want us to achieve our maximum potential as much as the next person but when with the club realise this kind of offer DOES NOT WORK.

Ok, we may sell 1000 golden tickets pocketing around £15k but how many of those people are going to come back? I genuinlly don't think its the quality of football, or the stadium that is keeping people away - its the price!! Instead of offering the cheapest games even cheaper, why not put an offer out there at the start of the season for everybody....its season ticket prices that HAVE to come down rather than the games where we're expecting a crap attendance anyway.

Good on the face of it for fans who pay on the day, but it won't attract more than 400-500 people who wouldn't usually be at the game, gives nothing back to those of us who pay full whack every single year even through these offers.

Untill we have an offer on cheaper ST's, we're stuck with the same average 2500-3500 home fans i'm afraid

why are people pissed up At the build to this announcement???

at half past 12 the official site that this afternoon the chairman will make a dramatic announcment

then a few hours later he stated March madness where he would take a dramtic hit to his own pocket to try and get the fans back through the turnstiles, he also said he was looking into sorting something for season ticket holders in return

the only build up was on this board where once gain people expected a new stand, stadium, investor to be unveiled.the club never said anything of the sort about what it was

i think we all agree we want as many fans back at boundary park no matter who we are playing

Hats off to SC in my opinion, at least he is trying!

damned if he does damned if he dont!

there is a thread on here somwhere about why we never accomplish anything, well the simple answer is THE FANS!

Edited by palmer1

This is a staggeringly generous offer from Mr Corney , who must be applauded for this imo.

The fact is other than 3 or 4 thousand people people will not pay up to £23 each for what is on offer.

I do often think when I watch all those tv highlight shows which show the goals , why these business people who run clubs don't think why are there not people on all those seats & what do we have to do to make it so.

question: If you are a non season ticket holder, will you be taking up the offer and will it have any impact on your attendance at BP next season.

This is the question the club need answering and the vast majority including mine will be the same.

Answer: Yes, i'll be taking up the offer of buying a ticket and giving the club £15 more than they would have got from me for these games. Ultimately though it will have no impact whatsoever on my attendance at BP next season - as once again I will be continuing to pick and choose to go to the games and the odd offer the crops up depending on what that offer is.

------

I agree with fruitygoo. It's not the stadium, the football. They have an impact but its minimal in comparison to the overiding factor which is the price. you have to debate with yourself whether you think it is value for money. At the prices Latics charge for a season ticket and on the day admissions I generally deem it not.

Has anone actually worked out if all tickets bought on the days would be less than £303? (I think that was how much our season tickets were)

If you incluse this deal i bet there is not much in it.

However regadless,there are benefits, the ST still gaurenteed you a Liverpool ticket this year, there were plenty of non ticket holders that didnt make it.

Stevie what would it take to make you keep coming as a stay away if you dont mind me asking?

Its not that bad from the club as people will buy programmes, food, club shop items and hopefully keep coming back after

My comments were very much tongue-in-cheek.

I live a long way from BP so an offer like this doesn't really tempt me because the saving isn't that great relative to the total cost associated with going to a game.

I think it's a very good offer but ticket price is only one aspect of the cost involved in attending for an exile.

Dont get me wrong and I will be taking the offer up, but I am a little annoyed at the fact it's once again us stayaways that get the incentive rather than the ones who follow the club everywhere getting the thanks.

Friends of mine are still paying £300+ for a season ticket and spending £70+ every other week travelling all over the country with little thanks of their time and effort supporting the club.

I'm glad I stopped getting a season ticket the other year and following the club all over as there is absolutely no incentive to get one and no thanks for doing so. You get spoonfed all this garbage every summer about how much you'll save but year on year (for the last few since I had a season ticket at least). Numerous offers crop up for the stay away fan.

It's £15 of my money the club will get that they wouldnt have, and I know the situation we are in financially that an offer like this was inevitable but isnt it time season ticket holders are given a reward to thank them for their efforts for the continuing support despite the dwindling crowds around them.

Season ticket holders year on year at Latics are overlooked

To be fair though, what can Corney realistically do for ST holders at this point in the season? No one could expect him to offer a part-refund to them. Unless he's completely stupid, he and his board will be looking at what can be done to incentivise STs for next season. And remember, ST holders did benefit (for once) this season with priority for cup tickets.

Has anone actually worked out if all tickets bought on the days would be less than £303? (I think that was how much our season tickets were)

CRE, MSU = £433 ( ST Early Bird £328 Then £399 )

RRE = £433 (ST Early Bird £308 then £379?)

MSL = £420 (ST Early Bird £303 then ?)

Cat A, B & C

Edited by oafcprozac

If a season ticket holder attends all the Cat A games and all the Cat B games then the season ticket pays for itself. Now this deal done a ST holder anywhere other than the Rocky (and possibly MSL) has to attend a Cat C game as well- that's still 6 games free.

ST holders this year could buy 2 Anfield tickets before anyone else, 1 Chesterfield JPT ticket, and they got in cheap for other cup ties IIRC.

I think the club should compensate ST holders slightly to keep them sweet, e.g. a free programme or credit in the shop or possibly a draw for a free ST next year. Plus if we only got 2500 against Walsall last Tuesday, its fairly obvious some ST holders didn't go. If they didn't go then would they have gone to all the games in this offer anyway.

Edited by rudemedic

if my calculations are correct - paying on the day (inclusive of this offer) will be cheaper than those who bought a season ticket but couldn't meet the early bird deadline...

fair?

Seems to be right (I forgot about the early bird deadline doing my calculations), even taking into account the extras ST holders get (like reserve games, queue jumping and shop discounts) I don't think its fair.

What this might do is negatively affect the sale of half-season tickets next Christmas, especially if we are out of the cups, as those who might get one could well change their minds if they remember this.

Seems to be right (I forgot about the early bird deadline doing my calculations), even taking into account the extras ST holders get (like reserve games, queue jumping and shop discounts) I don't think its fair.

What this might do is negatively affect the sale of half-season tickets next Christmas, especially if we are out of the cups, as those who might get one could well change their minds if they remember this.

Perhaps, but this might not be offered again, so (just like potential ST holders) they'd be better making a decision based on what they want to do and what they can afford.

And life's not fair.

I don't think these kind of offers are going to affect just post christmas / half season ticket sales - it's potentially going to damage full season ticket sales. Why scrap to save up to afford one if its almost as cheap most years to pay on the day?

As has been said, if you have a season ticket, wallsall at home on a freezing cold tuesday, you feel obliged to go - without a season ticket, would i have gone.......? Probably not to be honest with you.

OAFC Cannot afford to lose any season ticket holders, and rather than potentially upsetting them (or even leaving them worse off than Pay on the Dayers) they should be concentrating all their efforts on making it worthwhile signing up for the season. As i said before, untill something like that is done, numbers are going to slowly dwindle

Edited by Fruitygoo

And life's not fair.

At the end of the day, if everyone just paid on the gate as its almost as cheap....our season budget would be obliterated, we'd last no more than a year....Season Ticket holders help keep the club afloat during the summer...put them off, and the end is nigh

I don't think these kind of offers are going to affect post christmas / half season ticket sales - it's potentially going to damage full season ticket sales. Why scrap to save up to afford one if its almost as cheap most years to pay on the day?

As has been said, if you have a season ticket, wallsall at home on a freezing cold tuesday, you feel obliged to go - without a season ticket, would i have gone.......? Probably not to be honest with you.

OAFC Cannot afford to lose any season ticket holders, and rather than potentially upsetting them (or even leaving them worse off than Pay on the Dayers) they should be concentrating all their efforts on making it worthwhile signing up for the season. As i said before, untill something like that is done, numbers are going to slowly dwindle

Whilst you have a point about alienating ST holders, the bit in bold is simply not true. The club needs to do more than look after the couple of thousand ST holders because, frankly, they won't be enough to ensure the long-term survival of the club.

Whilst you have a point about alienating ST holders, the bit in bold is simply not true. The club needs to do more than look after the couple of thousand ST holders because, frankly, they won't be enough to ensure the long-term survival of the club.

Yes, obviously they should always be trying to make sure they can get more people paying on the day...i agree and probably could have worded better. Without a foundation - there is nothing to build on

Edited by Fruitygoo

Perhaps, but this might not be offered again, so (just like potential ST holders) they'd be better making a decision based on what they want to do and what they can afford.

And life's not fair.

I think its highly unlikely it will be offered again as although Colchester and Scunny were Cat B games originally, now Colchester was rearranged for midweek there was no way it should have been Cat B and Scunny is highly debatable (Walsall bought about 100 fans- and they are a similarly sized club about the same distance away doing similarly in the league). That means we had what could easily be 5 Cat C games in a 28 day period, something I can't see happening that often.

I'm glad I didn't get a half season ticket this season now though (my circumstances changed during the year to make it seem feasible).

The way I'm feeling now with being put on the back row vs Liverpool having bought my ticket 20 mins after they went on sale, No free reserve games like they was last year! (that was a big saving) And now this. I'm a little pissed. Sorry but I'm not sure I'll be renewing. Just seems to be one thing after another.

Edit:

After writing this I've just turned around and looked at my son with his Oldham shirt on! Its falling apart along with his others. My other son's and mine are the same.

Edited by oldhamains

Applaud the effort and welcome it, even though I live far away do can't milk it.

I've seen these sort of offers or similar ones - pay what you want - before and sometimes think chairman mistakingly thing the fans will suddenly return based on a belief that price REALLY IS the factor. There are only three things increase attendances significantly I think: not prices, but 1. A relegation battle, 2. A good cup tie, 3. Most importantly, a medium-long run of good results. Ppl will always say it's about price, but if they charged £1 for Saturday's game, how many do you think would turn up?

But there's no harm in trying. I was at the Walsall game and, Valentines Day factor aside, the lack of atmosphere was fairly painful and maybe a shock to the hierarchy - as well as the Chaddy Ultras, who were chanting (jokingly) about our support being sh...!

This offer should give extra motivation (not to say they aren't motivated normally) for the players to impress the fans and, moreover for them perhaps in terms of their future at the club, the chairman!