Subbuteo is alive and flicking

Somebody is looking for players to start a local Subbuteo league, possibly with Latics fans having their own mini-league if preferable.

OS

140.jpg

Them wer t’days when we had flat celluloid players. When stood on accidentally they snapped off at the base and had to be stuck back in, minus the broken off bit. Consequently, players got smaller and smaller. :D

37.JPG

Flick to kick - Happy days!

• 1 year later...

We all think we've got fond memories of Subbuteo but the truth of the matter is, it was :censored:. The dog used to chew the goalkeepers, the pitch was always bobbly so the players' bases would catch, the ball (if you could find it after a couple of months of downtime, since John Ashworth got the Millenium Falcon for his birthday and it was all around to his house for weeks) would roll off down a crease, and Raymond Hardacre (my arch nemesis) would without fail step on the nets. Again. The 'accessories' were impractical or useless (floodlights? :censored: me) and you could never replicate the suggested set up in the glossy catalogue.

We all think we've got fond memories of Subbuteo but the truth of the matter is, it was :censored:. The dog used to chew the goalkeepers, the pitch was always bobbly so the players' bases would catch, the ball (if you could find it after a couple of months of downtime, since John Ashworth got the Millenium Falcon for his birthday and it was all around to his house for weeks) would roll off down a crease, and Raymond Hardacre (my arch nemesis) would without fail step on the nets. Again. The 'accessories' were impractical or useless (floodlights? :censored: me) and you could never replicate the suggested set up in the glossy catalogue.

Try to imagine how fond the memories are if you are able to go back to the days when floodlights were not the norm at grounds, you didn't have a dog and you had the smooth pitch glued to a big board.

But did you have Subbuteo fishing?

Good grief- I just googled that; £84.99 on ebay. I'll pass!

Friend had every possible subbuteo accessory laid out on a permanent pitch so no wrinkles.

He lived next door to Mike Doyle (Man City captain at the time). He was rubbish

Try to imagine how fond the memories are if you are able to go back to the days when floodlights were not the norm at grounds, you didn't have a dog and you had the smooth pitch glued to a big board.

I used to iron the pitch before sticking it on the table, it worked pretty well.

Got to say, I love it.

Had a league locally in my early teens. I came second in everything. Curly haired :censored: always had the edge over me except in one FA Cup final where I finally beat him. 8-7 in extra time. I scored in the last seconds of normal time to equalise at 6-6.

It was the only time in three years that I managed to beat him though.

I recall one game being interrupted when one lad's pet piranha somehow jumped out of his tank into a neighbouring fish tank and promptly ate at least three fish.

You don't get that sort of entertainment at Old Trafford!

Bit pricey now though

Full set cheaper than FIFA. No Playstation to shell out for. Miles better value. Edited by opinions4u

I came second in everything. Curly haired :censored: always had the edge over me except in one FA Cup final where I finally beat him. 8-7 in extra time.

Even at the age of ten

Smart boy Kevin was a smart boy then

He always beat me at Subbuteo

Cos he flicked the kick

And I didn't know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5hnCb-93WY

I work for a kids toy company, and at the London toy fair this year I found the Subbuteo stand. They had a pitch all laid out, and anyone was free to walk up and have a go. Needless to say, everytime I walked past I had to set myself up a decent long range shot.

I had the Football and Cricket games as a kid - they were ace.

Remember it in the early days of my childhood, i think I got a Latics team in the 93-95 home kit but my memory is a little hazy.

Unfortunately (for subbuteo's sake) Championship Manager and Football Manager came into prominence. Why have all the equipment taking up space when you can fit everything on a disk?