March Madness

Thinking about this yesterday, bull:censored: aside, this period might go down as 'half a job' under the circumstances. In otherwise unimportant home matches(unless you've already decided that we're going through a survival battle then yes, they're pretty important) with far-flung teams that would probably attract attendances between 2800 - 3200, Latics have managed to boost crowds and increase their visibility for this discount period. Okay, it looks like in-ground catering have dropped the ball and somebody in commerce should be monitoring that, and kicking arses with the fallout; that aside March Madness has done its job.

Hasn't it?

The thing is, I'm reckoning that the March Madness promotion is a two phase program: increase visibility during this period, and attract these fans back at full price after the discount has ended. Phase one is done, so what about phase two? Unfortunately, Dickov's boys have played like a load of washerwomen at home in what now is becoming a running joke: frustratingly for Corney (Grimsby aside) lacklustre performances and cut price tickets go hand-in-hand at Latics. However, the real measure of its success will be scrutinised after March Madness, luckily Charlton and Preston will probably fill out the RRE, Carlisle maybe less so, although there will be a lot of eyes on the home attendance figure.

The tonic will be back-to-back home wins.

Let's see what happens on the field against, Bournemouth and Orient.

Oldham expects.

The season is all but over, when the golden ticket expires we will be back to under 3000. I really couldn't see the point of this offer at this stage of another predictably poor season.

Everything we do is reactive when we should be proactive......it might seem silly but the drop in crowds has been a problem every season since Corney & Co took over, we should be trying to attract new or lapsed fans when we are playing decent stuff and in with a chance of the playoffs.

Why, after watching this crap for £3 quid would you suddenly get hooked and start paying £16 and upwards for the privilege...it's not going to happen!

Individually we are probably stronger than we have been for quite a while but we will not increase the fanbase at BP until we have a team worth watching, and, in a 4 sided ground!!!

It has nothing to do with the quality on show, if it did last season when we were unbeaten at home until January and playing some great stuff we would have had 5,000+.

It has everything to do with it....and perhaps we should have done the promotion during that period when we were playing well!!!

It has everything to do with it....and perhaps we should have done the promotion during that period when we were playing well!!!

It's an excuse, people will choose to come based on if they can or can't be bothered. They put it down because the team isn't playing well but when they do, they still don't come. So they blame the three stands, then move onto the lack of pies, then atmosphere gets the blame. Many of the stayaways won't admit the truth, they can no longer be bothered.

It happens people fall out of love with things, they fell out of love because of a mixture of things: being stuck in League 1, tasting the high life and now being nowhere near it, lack of atmosphere, poor stadium, lack of money. If this golden ticket has proven anything it is that with the current economic climate and the Premier League being everywhere clubs like Oldham will only ever get 3,000-5,000 even when playing well.

We could be in the Championship and we will still be having a thread like this because we are lower in crowd numbers then we expect, people need to stop making excuses as to why they don't come.

The season is all but over, when the golden ticket expires we will be back to under 3000. I really couldn't see the point of this offer at this stage of another predictably poor season.

Everything we do is reactive when we should be proactive......it might seem silly but the drop in crowds has been a problem every season since Corney & Co took over, we should be trying to attract new or lapsed fans when we are playing decent stuff and in with a chance of the playoffs.

Why, after watching this crap for £3 quid would you suddenly get hooked and start paying £16 and upwards for the privilege...it's not going to happen!

Individually we are probably stronger than we have been for quite a while but we will not increase the fanbase at BP until we have a team worth watching, and, in a 4 sided ground!!!

That's because we have picked up 1 point from 3 games, if we had picked up 7 or 9, which we were more than capable of doing given the opposition, we'd be right amongst it for the play-offs and it would have been more successful.

Some of our fans who don't go every week for whatever reason, don't want to spend (for whatever reason) £15+ per game against teams where there is no apathy to watch football in games where the cumulative outcome is finishing in varying places in mid-table in the same league we've been in for 15 years. Factor in other costs (including personal and time ones), especially travelling and attendances at this stage of the season with nothing to play for are going to struggle.

Judging by the attendances we might be breaking even on the attendance figures compared to what we would have normally got, Corney took a gamble on increasing attendances giving us better performances on the field. Its a bit like signing a maverick striker but without as severe financial penalties.

If one of the people who hasn't gone for a while goes more regularly in April and beyond as a result of this promotion, then that's extra income we wouldn't have got. (Naturally this needs to offset those who do the opposite)

Spoke briefly to a chap in the Range post game.

None attendee of recent years but has taken up the Golden Ticket offer

Wont be coming back after the £3 games as "i wont pay £20 to watch that, £3 seems steep!!!"

Get the product right on the pitch and people will start to come back

One problem I may suggest seems to be the unsocial nature of going to a match these days. I have to be honest if it wasn't for the friends I've made watching Latics I'd probably never go (especially now I live in Sheffield) and I bet there are tons of people in the same boat whose mates don't go. I spoke to a lapsed fan before the Liverpool game in a pub in the City Centre and he was telling me how him and his mates had been going as a group since school, but as they've grown ups some have moved away, had kids etc and once one of them stopped going they eventualy all stopped going. But as the weekly thread on attendances suggests it's more than just results which have an impact.

SC must be shaking his head in disbelief at present. 3 games into the golden ticket offer against very ordinary opposition and we have 1pt.

We should have realistically amassed 6/7 pts by now and hopefully have attracted just a few extra fans to stay with us. Gates have crept up ( ok not massively, but in the right direction )

But this is latics!......throw in a couple of turgid performances littered with schoolboy defending and it's back to the drawing board.

Once this deal is over i expect to see the usual 3000 or so faces.

Some came for an inquisitive gander at what was on offer...but i fear they'll shuffle back to their firesides muttering '' nothing has changed ''

It has nothing to do with the quality on show, if it did last season when we were unbeaten at home until January and playing some great stuff we would have had 5,000+.

I'm far from Corney's biggest fan but I don't think he could have timed the offer better. I've seen a few comments suggesting it the timing was wrong.

The offer has been placed during a spell where we had four home fixtures in quick succession, then, following a short break, another two to come only a few days apart. It is inevitable that without the offer many pay-on-the-day types would have chosen to attend one or two and wouldn't have bothered forking out for the rest.

Three of the games are midweek, which always means struggling to attract an anywhere near decent crowd.

In addition to that, these were five very winnable games against teams that were unlikely to draw the crowds and, had we put together a run of results, we might well have been making a challenge for the playoffs by the end of the other - all the more reason for people to keep coming afterwards.

Sadly though, the team has lived up to past performances for discounted games and has scraped one point from nine so far. There's absolutely nothing Corney can do about that, other than hope we can save face in the last two games of the offer.

Once this offer's been put to bed, I'm sure he and Warby will be working long and hard on other initiatives.

Stockport were charging £5 to attend against Cambridge last Saturday and had an attendance of 5957. They were 17th in the Blue Square Premier at the time.

In comparison to our attendances during the Golden Ticket offer, it shows how poor our support is.

Stockport were charging £5 to attend against Cambridge last Saturday and had an attendance of 5957. They were 17th in the Blue Square Premier at the time.

In comparison to our attendances during the Golden Ticket offer, it shows how poor our support is.

From a county fan:

"bloody awful all round today really.

Gannon got the tactics badly wrong, with a centre back in midfield and a midfielder in defence, but for some reason, refused to switch them around.

Even worse, our big useless lump of a striker gets injured, yet we continue with the tactic of hoofing ball forward to the area where the big useless lump should be, despite the replacement being a 17 year old kid who's about 5 foot 7."

Seems we're not the only ones to balls it up!

If they really insist on doing these offers (they never work in the long run) They should of just done £3 each game for the 5 games instead on the £15 for 5. Of course it works out the same but I have no doubt there would of been loads more though the gate. I would go as far as saying you'd be struggling to find a seat. All the offer has done is piss off season ticket holders. People on here seem to think it hasn't as most people on here thought if was a great idea! Thing is OWTB forum users opinions are not the same as the majority of the season ticket holders.

If they really insist on doing these offers (they never work in the long run) They should of just done £3 each game for the 5 games instead on the £15 for 5. Of course it works out the same but I have no doubt there would of been loads more though the gate. I would go as far as saying you'd be struggling to find a seat. All the offer has done is piss off season ticket holders. People on here seem to think it hasn't as most people on here thought if was a great idea! Thing is OWTB forum users opinions are not the same as the majority of the season ticket holders.

Indeed. In future we should come to you to get the majority opinion.

Indeed. In future we should come to you to get the majority opinion.

Calm down dear (see what I did then) it's just my opinion. I got it from people on the facebook pages, the grumpy men in the paddock and from what Simon Corney told me via email he referred to it as threats though.