Rueben Reid

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been awful last couple of games for me.

What does everyone else think?

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to make him a scapegoat because they were all sub standard last night but his performance was very worrying!!!

He is clearly a capable footballer, but PD and GT should be beasting him every single day until he slims down and gets fit! As I said in a text to a mate this morning they should get an explaination of the offside rule playing on loop on his ipod, and chain him to a treadmill going at full speed til he pukes!

Doesn't look fit enough to me.

But , when he was playing very well before his injury , he was sat behind Kuqi passing the ball around in a similar fashion (not as good mind)as Simpson.

Now he is being used as a target man & it is easy pickings for the centre backs ....a role more suited to Tounkara , wonder where he is now.

Doesn't look fit enough to me.

But , when he was playing very well before his injury , he was sat behind Kuqi passing the ball around in a similar fashion (not as good mind)as Simpson.

Now he is being used as a target man & it is easy pickings for the centre backs ....a role more suited to Tounkara , wonder where he is now.

Reid was our best player - by a good distance - up until his untimely injury vs the MKMongs.

He had a full pre-season, looked fit & sharp and more importantly; was starting every game and got a really prolonged run in the side.

Every time he got the ball on the deck in that period, he was a threat. He drove at defenders, he made them do the one thing that all defenders hate; back-track at pace - they hate it; and Reid made them do it countless times a game.

I was one of the brave who went to Yeovil and had to watch the horror show - but Reid's burst for the penalty he won was the one bright spark in that game; and was the marker that he set himself….he continued in that fashion right up until his injury in the MK game; IIRC he got the injury doing one the self-same bursts?

It's 2 things for me:

1.) he's not yet up to speed fitness wise - we know it appears to take him a while longer than others to get fully sharp. For me, he's not there yet; 2 or 3 more full games and he will be IMO.

2.) we're using him incorrectly. With Kuqi's insistence on dropping deep all the time and his apparent allergic reaction to going anywhere near the box; Reid is having to be the advanced forward - with Kuqi playing almost as a midfielder (or full-back!) many times during games. As we saw earlier in the season, that's not his best role; nor where we'll get the best out of him.

Reid isn't a big target man type. He isn't that good in the air; so it's pointless lumping it to him and expecting him to out-jump at massive CB. He hasn't been very effective in being an off the shoulder striker so far. Yet; it seems that he's either a.) being asked to do those roles by the manager or .b.) he's simply having to do them during a match as he realises someone needs to do it for the team; when Kuqi feck's off on one of deep forages.

To see the best of Reid, we need to play to his obvious strengths. We were earlier in the season. We're not now. He's a long way from being ':censored:e' or 'not good enough' IMO - in fact I think he's a cracking player. But, you have to use him correctly and we're not doing that at present.

But………..I'm no manager or coach; just a fan typing it as I see it.

I actually think sometimes he runs offside as Adeymi can be slow on the ball and not quite pick the pass at the right time, this may be as he is young or just not good enough

Its a tough one with Reid, he clearly looks unfit and off the pace but was out a long time

I think we will sign either him or Tonks in the summer as his deal has run out

1 last thing dont forget he was actually released in the summer but liked it here so much then rang Dickov up and said would sign on a lower wage, so he obviuosly likes it here as he would have got a league 2 club and maybe even more money at some of those clubs, rather have loyalty like that

I think if the club at to retain Kuqi which i think they both want to and will they are going to have to make cuts and Reid maybe one of those cuts, the problem is if he struggles with injuries then its a big expense and a dodgy one for a club on a small budget to lay out

dont forget he was actually released in the summer but liked it here so much then rang Dickov up and said would sign on a lower wage, so he obviuosly likes it here as he would have got a league 2 club and maybe even more money at some of those clubs

As I understood it, we had a clause in his contract that said "We will keep you for another year if your pay drops to £XXX as long as you sign before the end of June".

Reid told us where to go. Then came back to exercise his right to a contract a few weeks later because nobody else would pay him more.

Reid was our best player - by a good distance - up until his untimely injury vs the MKMongs.

He had a full pre-season, looked fit & sharp and more importantly; was starting every game and got a really prolonged run in the side.

Every time he got the ball on the deck in that period, he was a threat. He drove at defenders, he made them do the one thing that all defenders hate; back-track at pace - they hate it; and Reid made them do it countless times a game.

I was one of the brave who went to Yeovil and had to watch the horror show - but Reid's burst for the penalty he won was the one bright spark in that game; and was the marker that he set himself….he continued in that fashion right up until his injury in the MK game; IIRC he got the injury doing one the self-same bursts?

It's 2 things for me:

1.) he's not yet up to speed fitness wise - we know it appears to take him a while longer than others to get fully sharp. For me, he's not there yet; 2 or 3 more full games and he will be IMO.

2.) we're using him incorrectly. With Kuqi's insistence on dropping deep all the time and his apparent allergic reaction to going anywhere near the box; Reid is having to be the advanced forward - with Kuqi playing almost as a midfielder (or full-back!) many times during games. As we saw earlier in the season, that's not his best role; nor where we'll get the best out of him.

Reid isn't a big target man type. He isn't that good in the air; so it's pointless lumping it to him and expecting him to out-jump at massive CB. He hasn't been very effective in being an off the shoulder striker so far. Yet; it seems that he's either a.) being asked to do those roles by the manager or .b.) he's simply having to do them during a match as he realises someone needs to do it for the team; when Kuqi feck's off on one of deep forages.

To see the best of Reid, we need to play to his obvious strengths. We were earlier in the season. We're not now. He's a long way from being ':censored:e' or 'not good enough' IMO - in fact I think he's a cracking player. But, you have to use him correctly and we're not doing that at present.

But………..I'm no manager or coach; just a fan typing it as I see it.

He looked a different player Sly, I give you that.

He got himself fit and looked interested at the start of the season.

I am not sure its down to the fact that we are using him incorrectly though, and I am really starting to wonder if he is not looking after himself accordingly or if he really wants it enough.

The signs were there for all to see on Saturday when Lee (IIRC) bombed the length of the pitch to take on there remaining 2 defenders and Reid made very little effort to get in position (as a striker, he should be busting a gut to get there).

First game this season Reid looked slow.

Then he started working hard and fans (rightly) responded to his efforts.

But he scored one goal from open play during an extended run in the side and offers less to the side than our other goal shy striker does at present.

While I want him to succeed with Latics I really don't think he's going to.

BUT: Hoofing the ball to a short arse striker isn't the kind of football that's destined to win us games. It's not just Reid that's at fault.

He is a joke. He is massively unfit and he is supposedly a professional athlete. Clearly not taken care of himself when out injured. Get rid for me and play tonks or Simpson.

Ditto

Complete waste of a squad place and a wage !!

Edited by losesome

Correct. He's never looked like he's enjoyed it here.

His clear lack of effort to stay fit is a joke. Do you think Furman will come back so overweight?

Not sure why I'm surprised the majority on here have been so fast to turn on one of our players. Slystalone's post covers everything pretty well. He's not being allowed to play his preferred role to accommodate Kuqi and he is just back from injury.

Two points:

1. don't think he has a very high natural fitness level so has to work harder than most to get up to speed after injury

2. He doesn't look any bigger than he did before he got injured.

Before he got injured he was the best player in our team, including Lee, Furman etc. He was scoring and creating goals, a constant threat, holding the ball up much as Abbott had done under Dave Penney again with little thanks from people who don't understand football. I was pretty surprised it was reported he enjoyed his time here in his first season what with being called a 'lazy fat :censored:' every time he touched the ball and didn't immediately score, but I can't help but feel people are wildly speculating and bending truths on the reason why stayed here to suit their own purpose.

From the fishal site, story published on 09/05/11:

"There will be a number of players leaving as out-of-contract Lewis Alessandra, Ritchie Jones, Rod McDonald, Josh Ollerenshaw and Andy Todd are not to be offered new deals.

Latics will also not be exercising the option of an additional year on striker Reuben Reid who joined them from West Brom in January."

My link

Then on 20/05/11 (11 days after initially being allowed to leave):

"Reuben Reid has taken a pay cut to stay with Latics.

The 22-year-old is so keen to remain at Boundary Park that he has accepted greatly reduced wages.

Reid was originally informed that Latics would not be exercising the option for him to remain at Boundary Park for the 2011/12 season.

That decision was driven by financial constraints, but Reid has since informed Latics he wants to exercise an option to stay on reduced terms."

My link

So it's hardly like he went touting himself for a couple of months, going on trial to other clubs etc looking for a better deal. He was allowed to leave on the 9th and was back on the 20th on "greatly reduced wages". There is little evidence to say he only came back because nobody else was interested.

The timeline of events reads:

Released by club

Accepted greatly reduced wages to return 11 days later

Had a full pre season and got fit

Was our top scorer and best performer early in the season

Got injured

Came back lacking match fitness and playing in a role that doesn't suit him

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, FAT, :censored:, GET RID.

Nice logic guys. Throw him on the scrap heap with Eardley.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Not sure why I'm surprised the majority on here have been so fast to turn on one of our players. Slystalone's post covers everything pretty well. He's not being allowed to play his preferred role to accommodate Kuqi and he is just back from injury.

Two points:

1. don't think he has a very high natural fitness level so has to work harder than most to get up to speed after injury

2. He doesn't look any bigger than he did before he got injured.

Before he got injured he was the best player in our team, including Lee, Furman etc. He was scoring and creating goals, a constant threat, holding the ball up much as Abbott had done under Dave Penney again with little thanks from people who don't understand football. I was pretty surprised it was reported he enjoyed his time here in his first season what with being called a 'lazy fat :censored:' every time he touched the ball and didn't immediately score, but I can't help but feel people are wildly speculating and bending truths on the reason why stayed here to suit their own purpose.

From the fishal site, story published on 09/05/11:

"There will be a number of players leaving as out-of-contract Lewis Alessandra, Ritchie Jones, Rod McDonald, Josh Ollerenshaw and Andy Todd are not to be offered new deals.

Latics will also not be exercising the option of an additional year on striker Reuben Reid who joined them from West Brom in January."

My link

Then on 20/05/11 (11 days after initially being allowed to leave):

"Reuben Reid has taken a pay cut to stay with Latics.

The 22-year-old is so keen to remain at Boundary Park that he has accepted greatly reduced wages.

Reid was originally informed that Latics would not be exercising the option for him to remain at Boundary Park for the 2011/12 season.

That decision was driven by financial constraints, but Reid has since informed Latics he wants to exercise an option to stay on reduced terms."

My link

So it's hardly like he went touting himself for a couple of months, going on trial to other clubs etc looking for a better deal. He was allowed to leave on the 9th and was back on the 20th on "greatly reduced wages". There is little evidence to say he only came back because nobody else was interested.

The timeline of events reads:

Released by club

Accepted greatly reduced wages to return 11 days later

Had a full pre season and got fit

Was our top scorer and best performer early in the season

Got injured

Came back lacking match fitness and playing in a role that doesn't suit him

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, FAT, :censored:, GET RID.

Nice logic guys. Throw him on the scrap heap with Eardley.

Biggest crock of :censored: I have ever read in my life and rather dramatic shall we say! Read the whole page back prior to your post and not one person posted anything about being fat, albeit he aint exactly looking fit is he?

Did you go Saturday? Or last night? Yeah he looked better early season and I stated that earlier, I think he realised when other clubs didn't sign him it was last chance saloon to take Latics up on the vastly reduced wages option and therefore worked hard enough to resemble a professional player! He isn't right now!

And while we are on it what is a "natural fitness level"? Do you think Andy Ritchie had that? Luke Beckett even? Lee Hughes? A players fitness level is down to himself and how he conditions his body, taking into account his diet!

He was, granted one of our better players early season and was indeed top scorer before getting injured, but how many were down to goals from open play?

The point of this thread is whether he is doing it now, not in fookin' August!

Edited by lancy lad

He has been awful last couple of games for me.

What does everyone else think?

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to make him a scapegoat because they were all sub standard last night but his performance was very worrying!!!

Or not as good as people think he is?

Or not as good as people think he is?

It comes down to this for me.

I want every Latics player to succeed. I want every Latics player to improve under the coaching regime at the football club. But over a year in to his Latics career it's fair to ask some questions.

Last season I recall a couple of goals. Late header in a game already won and a smart finish at Notts County when we were already ahead. This season I recall some penalties, a consolation goal at Dale and another goal which slips my mind (EDIT: he put us 2-1 up at Orient).

He's hardly prolific. Even when he's fully fit and appears to be putting everything in to his game. Has he ever scored a decisive goal in a Latics match? I can only think of Orient away. Just one goal in over a year that has actually given us the win.

It's not a witch hunt of any sort. It's a simple question. Is Reuben Reid good enough? I suspect not. It's up to the player to show he is.

(In Reid's defence, our creativity and supply to the strikers often leaves a bit to be desired, but it's up to the strikers to be in the right place at the right time too)

Edited by opinions4u

It comes down to this for me.

I want every Latics player to succeed. I want every Latics player to improve under the coaching regime at the football club. But over a year in to his Latics career it's fair to ask some questions.

Last season I recall a couple of goals. Late header in a game already won and a smart finish at Notts County when we were already ahead. This season I recall some penalties, a consolation goal at Dale and another goal which slips my mind (EDIT: he put us 2-1 up at Orient).

He's hardly prolific. Even when he's fully fit and appears to be putting everything in to his game. Has he ever scored a decisive goal in a Latics match? I can only think of Orient away. Just one goal in over a year that has actually given us the win.

It's not a witch hunt of any sort. It's a simple question. Is Reuben Reid good enough? I suspect not. It's up to the player to show he is.

(In Reid's defence, our creativity and supply to the strikers often leaves a bit to be desired, but it's up to the strikers to be in the right place at the right time too)

I would be amazed if he is kept on next season.