Rueben Reid

A year ago I'd have said he's neither fit nor interested and I was delighted when we decided to release him.

But taking a pay cut to come back improved my opinion of him and I thought he looked much better at the start of this season, fitness and performance wise. I think he could be a decent striker at this level but if he's still trying to get back to full fitness after his injury, then questions need to be asked about whether he's worth the gamble in long term. In the short-term, if he's not fully fit then put Tounkara, Simpson or even Bunn in ahead of him. We aren't exactly short of options.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest crock of :censored: I have ever read in my life and rather dramatic shall we say! Read the whole page back prior to your post and not one person posted anything about being fat, albeit he aint exactly looking fit is he?

Did you go Saturday? Or last night? Yeah he looked better early season and I stated that earlier, I think he realised when other clubs didn't sign him it was last chance saloon to take Latics up on the vastly reduced wages option and therefore worked hard enough to resemble a professional player! He isn't right now!

And while we are on it what is a "natural fitness level"? Do you think Andy Ritchie had that? Luke Beckett even? Lee Hughes? A players fitness level is down to himself and how he conditions his body, taking into account his diet!

He was, granted one of our better players early season and was indeed top scorer before getting injured, but how many were down to goals from open play?

The point of this thread is whether he is doing it now, not in fookin' August!

I'm not going over the reasons why he isn't performing as well now again. You managed to read mine and slystalone's post so you either chose to ignore them or don't understand the words you're reading.

Biggest crock of :censored: I have ever read in my life and rather dramatic shall we say! Read the whole page back prior to your post and not one person posted anything about being fat, albeit he aint exactly looking fit is he?

Did you go Saturday? Or last night? Yeah he looked better early season and I stated that earlier, I think he realised when other clubs didn't sign him it was last chance saloon to take Latics up on the vastly reduced wages option and therefore worked hard enough to resemble a professional player! He isn't right now!

And while we are on it what is a "natural fitness level"? Do you think Andy Ritchie had that? Luke Beckett even? Lee Hughes? A players fitness level is down to himself and how he conditions his body, taking into account his diet!

He was, granted one of our better players early season and was indeed top scorer before getting injured, but how many were down to goals from open play?

The point of this thread is whether he is doing it now, not in fookin' August!

This may help:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2699124,00.html :wink:

I'm not going over the reasons why he isn't performing as well now again. You managed to read mine and slystalone's post so you either chose to ignore them or don't understand the words you're reading.

I read both posts, you are clearly choosing to ignore the questions asked in reply!

I read both posts, you are clearly choosing to ignore the questions asked in reply!

Are we putting in balls like their lad does for his 1st goal on this clip? I think not.

Does anyone remember the type of run he produces for his second - he was doing them all the time pre-injury. Running at the defence at speed and driving into the box. Quite simply, Play to his strengths and reap the rewards:

Correct. He's never looked like he's enjoyed it here.

His clear lack of effort to stay fit is a joke. Do you think Furman will come back so overweight?

Marsh Brown sat 5 games out and came back looking faster than ever .

Reid is a joke

Are we putting in balls like their lad does for his 1st goal on this clip? I think not.

Does anyone remember the type of run he produces for his second - he was doing them all the time pre-injury. Running at the defence at speed and driving into the box. Quite simply, Play to his strengths and reap the rewards:

he's about 1stone lighter in them clips, this is the point . He's a decent striker when fit and firing . He just lets himself go and looks :censored:ed after an injury

I dont think he is a bad striker Sly, the guy is very frustrating because he is clearly not giving all he can!

Like I said previously I couldn't believe he wasn't busting a gut to get in the box when Lee was running at their last 2 defenders on Saturday - 2 on 2 and he should have been giving it all he had............ clearly not looking after himself for me.

Marsh Brown sat 5 games out and came back looking faster than ever .

Reid is a joke

Marsh Brown will have trained full time over those 5 games and only missed 2 weeks. If a semi-professional footballer missed 2 weeks I'd expect them to be at a similar level of fitness, never mind a professional one. Missing 5 months (or whatever Reid missed) is a different matter.

Marsh Brown will have trained full time over those 5 games and only missed 2 weeks. If a semi-professional footballer missed 2 weeks I'd expect them to be at a similar level of fitness, never mind a professional one. Missing 5 months (or whatever Reid missed) is a different matter.

when he was a free agent and we signed him he even admitted he wasnt looking after himself . He isnt professional enough, in any otherjob if it took you 3 months to get back into any sort of performance after time off you would be sacked

Reid needs to be in around the penalty area to be effective, Bunn and Reid would be an interesting strike force provided they were given proper service.

With Latics current formation it's quite easy really, the midfield men supply the wide men, the wide men supply the strikers, who put the ball in the net.

What actually happens now is the midfield men are too deep and hit it long, while the wide men recieve the ball from the full backs and frustratingly tip tap tap about until they lose possession - leaving the strikers isolated.

I can't see anything changing though as it should have been done before now.

Edited by BP1960

Reid needs to be in around the penalty area to be effective, Bunn and Reid would be an interesting strike force provided they were given proper service.

With Latics current formation it's quite easy really, the midfield men supply the wide men, the wide men supply the strikers, who put the ball in the net.

What actually happens now is the midfield men are too deep and hit it long, while the wide men recieve the ball from the full backs and frustratingly tip tap tap about until they lose possession - leaving the strikers isolated.

I can't see anything changing though as it should have been done before now.

It did work for Big Joe in the 90's though BP. I guess times change!

It did work for Big Joe in the 90's though BP. I guess times change!

Holden, Milligan, Henry, Adams......problem solved!!!!!!!

They were all decent players but not world beaters,,,,,the middle two worked their socks off for 90 minutes and the wingers did what wingers are supposed to do ..... get to the by-line and cross the ball!!!

basically - we rush players back too quickly.....hence why rueben looks out of shape, unfit etc

Reid played a couple of reserve games for half an hour then sat on the bench, then was expected to play 80 minutes.....

What happened to getting players up to a decent fitness level before they were thrown into 1st team action? Its not like we're short of strikers is it?

We're about to do the same thing with Furman.....on the bench at least tomorrow after one 60 minute run out in what, 2 months?

basically - we rush players back too quickly.....hence why rueben looks out of shape, unfit etc

Reid played a couple of reserve games for half an hour then sat on the bench, then was expected to play 80 minutes.....

What happened to getting players up to a decent fitness level before they were thrown into 1st team action? Its not like we're short of strikers is it?

We're about to do the same thing with Furman.....on the bench at least tomorrow after one 60 minute run out in what, 2 months?

Good post, the last part some people seem to forget/don't realise/just don't understand. Then you get questions like this topics 'not fit or can't be bothered?'

Fitnes these days IMO is 9/10ths of the game at pro level and if you are nowhere near your best, boy can you tell. The guy needs games, stay injury free, then begin to judge him I would say. Reid would be the first to admit it and will hate having to play not up to full match fitness, but the only way to get there is to play the minutes below par, which he is doing now.

Good post, the last part some people seem to forget/don't realise/just don't understand. Then you get questions like this topics 'not fit or can't be bothered?'

Fitnes these days IMO is 9/10ths of the game at pro level and if you are nowhere near your best, boy can you tell. The guy needs games, stay injury free, then begin to judge him I would say. Reid would be the first to admit it and will hate having to play not up to full match fitness, but the only way to get there is to play the minutes below par, which he is doing now.

:lol::lol::lol:

It never ceases to amaze me on this board when some people claim to "understand" more about these matters!

I have been a Latics fan all my life and I am 41, I have played at a decent level (Saturdays & Sundays) and come from a family where my grandad was a professional, my dad was a semi pro for a while and my cousin played in the Premiership and at international level for Northern Ireland (I agree they are :censored:e before anyone feels the need to take the piss).

I reckon that makes me capable to ask the question "not fit or can't be bothered" (as you state).

Reid has been in the squad for the last 10 matches of which he has started 6 and been sub in 2! How much more game time shall we give him before you want to question whether we have rushed him back too quickly? :petesake:

At the start of his return to 1st team squad:

Minutes per game:

Hardley building match fitness is it?

I've played at a steady level.....it took me 3 or 4 games to get back to fitness, but your not talking about getting back to sunday league pace fitness, you're talking about first team football. You hear people say the step up from ressies to 1st team is a big one....so by not even giving much reserve game time and then expecting someone to play 90 minutes just isn't right....

You're risking potentially 2 things:

1) The player is sluggish, struggles in game and therefore doesn't get through as much as if fit making it even LONGER to get back

2) The player wears himself out early in his comeback, and then struggles further down the line (which i actually think may be the case here - lots of midweek game time alongside weekends)

Edited by Fruitygoo

Thinking about it further - we ruined Tounkara last season through over playing someone who had never had to play that many games before....he trailed off terribly towards the end of the season - ok that may have been down to lack of players, but really thinking about it - i think fitness management has been a problem for a while now under multiple managers....

we also NEVER seem to be able to perform for a full 90 minutes....

Reid is obviously not a naturally fit player and has to work at it.

Having said that if i had of been in his position i would be working overtime in training to get back upto fitness quickly , even if it meant extra training. No evidence of that from Reid.

He takes the best part of 3/4 months to do that which for a club of our level is unacceptable.

Whether he is a good player or not the fact is we can't afford to have players like that and i say get rid.Free a squad place up for somebody more reliable.

Furman has been out as long and he wont take half the time to get fit - then again he probably wants too !!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

It never ceases to amaze me on this board when some people claim to "understand" more about these matters!

I have been a Latics fan all my life and I am 41, I have played at a decent level (Saturdays & Sundays) and come from a family where my grandad was a professional, my dad was a semi pro for a while and my cousin played in the Premiership and at international level for Northern Ireland (I agree they are :censored:e before anyone feels the need to take the piss).

I reckon that makes me capable to ask the question "not fit or can't be bothered" (as you state).

Reid has been in the squad for the last 10 matches of which he has started 6 and been sub in 2! How much more game time shall we give him before you want to question whether we have rushed him back too quickly? :petesake:

Firstly, there was never a claim regarding understanding more - I suggested some may not understand - That is, I believe a reasonable assumption to make.

Secondly, I have not questioned whether he has been rushed back 'quickly' as you say - I suggested and I'm sure you will know this, given the expertise that you and your family have on this matter - That it takes players games (there was no set amount given) to regain their full match fitness after a lengthy lay off (a couple of months is lengthy enough imo)

As you also probably know, not all players have the same ability to regain their fitness as quick as others and Reid is one who I think takes longer to hit 'full steam.'

So please don't 'assume' that I was claiming to 'understand more' - It was never stated.

Thank you

Edited by futchers briefs

If he needs match fitness why didn't he play for the reserves during the week ?

Edited by BP1960