Simon Corney Monumentally Pisse Off

Don't blame him to be honest, the players, management and the town (yet again) to a certain extent have let him down big time during the Golden Ticket run. I'm no lover of Mr Corney but he's right to blow his top this time, and first person to be carpeted should be the manager for his policy of playing players out of position over the five games. Brown in midfield, Bunn on the wing, Mellor at LB etc, etc….

Corney's latest rant

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I don't blame him - but don't come out with that in public.

I can't really blame him.

Other than Celebration Sunday's demolition of Grimsby; have we since managed to play well and get good results in any of the cheap ticket offers?

Another missed chance to encourage more fans through the gate no taken advantage of; through sub-standard performances on the pitch.

Sanme old, same old really - typical Latics.

Indeed, the public face presented by the Chairman should attempt to be as positive as possible. Any Rollockings should be kept private and I wouldn't blame him for giving the entire playing department a rollocking after some of the performances.

I'm wary of the methodology of the working out for the attendance increase in the article too, the Golden Ticket bought in more fans the an average of 893, I think I know where that came from but I don't think its the correct reasoning. The average attendance for the C games played on a Saturday prior to Golden ticket was 3426 (nearest person). The two Saturday golden ticket games had home attendances of 4509 and 4328 making an average of 4419 (nearest person).

Prior to the golden ticket we had played 2 midweek league games (excluding bank holiday) at home, they were MK Dons and Walsall with home attendances of 2316 and 2482 respectively. The average home attendance for midweek golden ticket games was 4039 (nearest person).

The Golden Ticket made a massive difference for the mid week games (and actually probably made money) perhaps the business deciders should look at a midweek bonanza for next season.

Lets face it. Corney is at best a bit of a numpty. That is why he's the one stuck running a club like ours and why we see him only in the media having a go at the fans.

Best thing he can do is hack his own tongue out and talk to someone with a clue of how to get customers into businesses. Maybe not in that order, though.

Totally agree. That is really going to make the players feel better. If I had let my boss down, i wouldnt have much respect if she then went and put it on facebook or something.

I am not defending the players, but havent we had this discussion before. Half the regular team out long term injured. 2 matches a week for the past 8 weeks, no contracts being offered yet. What the f does he expect!

Wondered when he was going to have his yearly rant.Why does he have to have a go??????????????

Every year he does, blaming the people of oldham, and you know what--------The crowd goes down again the year after.

I can't really blame him.

Other than Celebration Sunday's demolition of Grimsby; have we since managed to play well and get good results in any of the cheap ticket offers?

Another missed chance to encourage more fans through the gate no taken advantage of; through sub-standard performances on the pitch.

Sanme old, same old really - typical Latics.

Agree entirely with him. How many times has this happened? SC puts the price of admission down to near nothing and 1. people still can't be bothered to come and see their local side and 2. the players respond with lacklustre performances. I think this is more a build up of frustration of this happening every time he does this.

To be honest, i don;t think most of the games were that bad we just lacked the finishing touch and at times lost control in the centre of the pitch. In most cases we deserved more than we got from games but I think games like Orient and the first half against Yeovil will be what people will remember rather than the periods of good attacking football we produced which were too infrequent.

One myth that's finished is that the players respond better to larger crowds. The real worrying thing is though, how do you get people to come to see Latics again? I've heard so many people saying they just can't justify £20 for L1 football, but that just wasn't an excuse. Although hardly enthralling, the football isn't any worse than it has been for the past 15 years bar one season under Dowie and maybe the odd month under Shez. Have people just fallen out of love with football in general outside of the greedy league?

I can put one answer out there...

I was a regular fan to home and away games for many years, but havent gone regularly for 3 seasons probably (oh right yeah thats when the stand i'd been going in for 15/20 years was knocked down for a money saving exercise)

anyway i went to a few games last season early on in Dickovs first season because people were raving about the football, and yeah i enjoyed a few of those games, i was on the cupse of coming back regularly again, I even got 1 or 2 lapsed fans to come with me, as I promised them they'd enjoy it, the first game was Oldham 0-6 Soton, and Oldham 1-1 Daggers??? think that was the score, but man that was boring, they didnt come back again.

I don't think money is that much of a problem, it becomes an issue when the dross being served up makes it feel like youve been mugged out fo your money, the last home league game i went to was Stevenage, another bore fest, the final straw this time was my hopes being dashed for Wembley, i'd been planning that trip in my head for weeks, and then bam cant even beat bottom of the league over 2 games, that did it for me.

I saw the offer for the Goal-den ticket, and my first thought, you'd have to pay me to go back there now, i dont wanna see col u, leyton etc on a tues night....it's BBBBOOORRRIIINNGGG!!!...i called most of the losses before they happened, because its so predictable. Under Dowie/Shez I would have gone to those games and paid the full wack because I enjoyed watching the likes of Craig Davies (who was hounded out by the boo-boys) and the rest who were v good footballers.

I still check the results and I admire you lads that turn up everey week, but I can't see me coming back for a while till some very big changes are made.

I was a regular fan to home and away games for many years, but havent gone regularly for 3 seasons probably (oh right yeah thats when the stand i'd been going in for 15/20 years was knocked down for a money saving exercise)

anyway i went to a few games last season early on in Dickovs first season because people were raving about the football, and yeah i enjoyed a few of those games, i was on the cupse of coming back regularly again, I even got 1 or 2 lapsed fans to come with me, as I promised them they'd enjoy it, the first game was Oldham 0-6 Soton, and Oldham 1-1 Daggers??? think that was the score, but man that was boring, they didnt come back again.

I don't think money is that much of a problem, it becomes an issue when the dross being served up makes it feel like youve been mugged out fo your money, the last home league game i went to was Stevenage, another bore fest, the final straw this time was my hopes being dashed for Wembley, i'd been planning that trip in my head for weeks, and then bam cant even beat bottom of the league over 2 games, that did it for me.

I saw the offer for the Goal-den ticket, and my first thought, you'd have to pay me to go back there now, i dont wanna see col u, leyton etc on a tues night....it's BBBBOOORRRIIINNGGG!!!...i called most of the losses before they happened, because its so predictable. Under Dowie/Shez I would have gone to those games and paid the full wack because I enjoyed watching the likes of Craig Davies (who was hounded out by the boo-boys) and the rest who were v good footballers.

I still check the results and I admire you lads that turn up everey week, but I can't see me coming back for a while till some very big changes are made.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeally?

You can't blame the guy, the players and manager/coach staff have let him down.

Also, if Corney didnt say anything, we would have fans moaning saying "why hasn't Corney given the players a rollocking?" or "Corney doesn't care if we win or lose!"

I'm not his favourite fan, he (and the the other two Amigos) have made some mistakes since taking over but I agree with him on this!

The players have let him and the fans down again!

Edited by Hornbloweroafc

Have people just fallen out of love with football in general outside of the greedy league?

Nope. It's 2012. People don't want to pay a fortune to watch :censored: football in a ground with :censored: facilities and a :censored: atmosphere. It's not rocket science - no investment means continual decay and decline.

You mean til we start winning games and you are watching a succesful side - cos the problem seems to be results. I'm glad you brought that up to be honest cos you have admitted what the problem for you was "the final straw this time was my hopes being dashed for Wembley, i'd been planning that trip in my head for weeks, and then bam cant even beat bottom of the league over 2 games, that did it for me" - My heart bleeds for you it really does. You had been planning it for weeks after admitting you don't go to games anymore cos we are crap. Boo hoo.

If someone comes in, buys us and we get promotion, no doubt you'll be there at the front.

See you soon, hopefully.

Til then.....

Why come on this board?

Instead of excuses SC is speaking like a fan, he sees what's going on in the club day in and day out.

The best way to deal with complacent players is to read the riot act, if they don't show any improvement in commitment let them find another club that will happily put up with them.

There will be plenty of good cheap hard working players looking for clubs this summer, PD should already know who they are.

Whilst walking back to the car after the Sheff Utd game, me and my mate where saying that days like that are why we stick around through all the :censored: Latics serve up on a weekly basis. And we'v joked about it at every game we'v stumbled through since. Casual or stay away fans don't get those odd days of elation during the season, they just see the poor performances we put in at home on ticket deals. It has to be clear by now that the only thing that will drag people back to BP is success and i'm not talking about fighting for the play offs i mean promotion. It has to be something big to catch their attention away from the TV screen.Low prices won't work because we now live in a world where people aren't interested in paying to watch football, even premier league football. Going forward i can't see how football outside of the premier league will survive. It is bloated and corrupt, the rich will get richer and the poor will continue to shrink until there is only one league left. It's frustrating to say the least.

And i'v just realised that had nothing to do with Corny. I both support and condemn his public anger :blush:

You mean til we start winning games and you are watching a succesful side - cos the problem seems to be results. I'm glad you brought that up to be honest cos you have admitted what the problem for you was "the final straw this time was my hopes being dashed for Wembley, i'd been planning that trip in my head for weeks, and then bam cant even beat bottom of the league over 2 games, that did it for me" - My heart bleeds for you it really does. You had been planning it for weeks after admitting you don't go to games anymore cos we are crap. Boo hoo.

If someone comes in, buys us and we get promotion, no doubt you'll be there at the front.

See you soon, hopefully.

Til then.....

Why come on this board?

Good Point, its the OWTB hit squad, where when someone explains why they dont go anymore (after people asked the question) they get hounded out, seen it a number of times, oafc0000 i think explained why he didnt go anymore, everyone turned against him, when the reasonable liverpool fan tried putting his arguement across about suarez, he got hounded, why you on OUR board was the post, keyboard mongs.

The real reason IMO for the poor home performances has been PD's insistance on playing two deep lying holding midfield players (one of whom is rarely on the ball), this just hands the initiative to the away team.

My advice is for PD to ditch this system at home and play just one holding midfielder and an attacking midfielder who can use ball effectively.

Adeyemi just doesn't do enough for me I'm afraid.

Edited by BP1960

Im not part of any hit squad. There was no question raised here. Someone posted about Simon corney being pissed off and you told us why you dont go. Fine. Like I said Im pleased you mentioned results cos that is what it boils down to in the end.

Im certainly not saying "how dare you come on this board". Do as you please, but whinging about us being crap and basically saying thats why you arent going is throwing your toys out of the pram and wanting us to care.

Unlike most I dont knock your reasons. You spoke honeastly and fair play. I just dont see why you'd come on with the woe is me attitude.

Keyboard mongs is under the assumption this is hidden behind a keyboard. Ill have you know, Im on my phone.

Edited by pukka

Good Point, its the OWTB hit squad, where when someone explains why they dont go anymore (after people asked the question) they get hounded out, seen it a number of times, oafc0000 i think explained why he didnt go anymore, everyone turned against him, when the reasonable liverpool fan tried putting his arguement across about suarez, he got hounded, why you on OUR board was the post, keyboard mongs.

What people like you don't get is that we can all see why people don't go anymore we've got eyes we can see the problem we get it. We find post like the above very self indulgent you don't have to justify to the rest of us why you don't go anymore, we are not going to come round your house and drag you down to Boundary Park.

This give up, go home and sit on our arses attitude is going to get us knowhere.

You can't blame the guy, the players and manager/coach staff have let him down.

Also, if Corney didnt say anything, we would have fans moaning saying "why hasn't Corney given the players a rollocking?" or "Corney doesn't care if we win or lose!"

I'm not his favourite fan, he (and the the other two Amigos) have made some mistakes since taking over but I agree with him on this!

The players have let him and the fans down again!

I dunno, I heard he quite likes you. :)

What people like you don't get is that we can all see why people don't go anymore we've got eyes we can see the problem we get it. We find post like the above very self indulgent you don't have to justify to the rest of us why you don't go anymore, we are not going to come round your house and drag you down to Boundary Park.

This give up, go home and sit on our arses attitude is going to get us knowhere.

IMO Latics tepid performances at home have alienated fans, and even OWTB posters.

Until this is sorted out some fans will find other forms of entertrainment for their money, will more people buy season tickets for next season if they think they have 8 or 9 home wins out of 23 matches to look forward to ?

I have already posted on here earlier in the week that I felt the players have let the chairman down very badly , I don't blame him for his reported comments.

I don't imagine the sight of Chesterfield's party on Sunday helped one bit.

Mr Corney & the others saved this club , I imagine he would have been as excited & proud to have taken us to Wembley 9 years after the clubs demise as the fans & management.

The players are adults & they won't change whatever he or anyone says , we may get one of our 2 game reactions , but the malaise will return.