The pitch

The pitch  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Grass or artificial - your choice

snapback.pngqwerty, on 22 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

why do we have to go back in time grass ya weirdo's this aint 5 a side next it will be bring back joe royal

I think we all would all love to go back in time to Joe Royle's days.

Edited by BP1960

Assuming finances aren't a barrier, and rules are brought in which allow 3g pitches to be used in football league games, then artificial pitch anyday, and thats coming from someone who deplores the 'go back' or 'living in the 90s' mentality of some Oldham fans. Yes it would cost a fair whack to have installed, but benefits would include

- Latics would be able to train on it, hence there would be no further need to lease chapel road.

- Less games lost to the weather

- Would be able to let it out for 11/7/5 a side

All the above would contribute to the pitch paying for itself.

The cost would be a barrier but it shouldn't be, they would be able to train on it thus taking away anything being spent on where they currently train. Plus being able to rent it out on non-match days, the fact no games would be called off due to frozen pitch, taking costs away to mantain the pitch and it would be a better surface to play good football on.

While the pitch may not freeze the area outside the ground can be deemed unsafe in cold weather these days.

So I don't think that argument in favour stands anymore.

True but look at the games we have have had called off over the last five years? How many were due to the pitch being unplayable, and how many were postponed because of the pitch?

True but look at the games we have have had called off over the last five years? How many were due to the pitch being unplayable, and how many were postponed because of the pitch?

I can't quite get my head around that Carl, do you mean the surroundings ?

I can't quite get my head around that Carl, do you mean the surroundings ?

o4u was saying the 'less games postponed through frozen pitch' argument isnt valid as the game can be postponed due to unsafe surroundings.

My point was we have lost a fair few games over the past five years due to a frozen pitch, wheras I can't recall any being postponed because of 'unsafe surroundings'

o4u was saying the 'less games postponed through frozen pitch' argument isnt valid as the game can be postponed due to unsafe surroundings.

My point was we have lost a fair few games over the past five years due to a frozen pitch, wheras I can't recall any being postponed because of 'unsafe surroundings'

In recent years most of the games called off have been because 'the man' is too scared of people falling over on the way to the game and ringing a no win no fee injury lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Looks like artifical pitches are back on the agenda

Personally, I don't think we have much financial option but to go back to artificial.

Extra revenue streams, more of a community feel to the club etc, etc., I'd hazard a guess the option of closing Chapel road bring in cost savings and reveue too

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18147043

Edited by singe

The current pitch is in very poor condition, and has been for some time. The ball is bobbling all over the place and I wonder if this is down to the change in groundsman.

Its down to the fact there is no money to maintain it. They have to beg,borrow, steal equipment to maintain it.

I expect it wont be great next season either but the ground staff dont have much to work with

In recent years most of the games called off have been because 'the man' is too scared of people falling over on the way to the game and ringing a no win no fee injury lawyer.

Nah! I can only remeber one or two games which was lost due to the areas surrounding the ground being deemed unsafe. The vast majority have been due to a frozen pitch.

Edit: typo

Edited by danoafc

While the pitch may not freeze the area outside the ground can be deemed unsafe in cold weather these days.

So I don't think that argument in favour stands anymore.

In more extreme cold weather, yes. But it is often the case that the turf freezes but roads and pavements are fine.

The current pitch is in very poor condition, and has been for some time. The ball is bobbling all over the place and I wonder if this is down to the change in groundsman.

Who is responsible for the pitch these days? Gerry Taggart?

i'm not old enough to remember any team playing on a plastic pitch, which is probably the reason i voted grass...

but, i would like to see the introduction of plastic pitches and if itvwas financially right, for Latics to get one - however, i think it may have been Neil Joy who said that it would take 5/6 years to recoup the money spent on installing the pitch - not viable for those years!