With Macc relegated and Latics safe I reckon it'd be best for Matt Smith to be recalled & given a start v Carlisle in place of Bunn or Simpson. Build for next season. Would a recall be allowed?

Also - are there any L2 strikers you think we could attract here within our budget? How about Billy Kee at Burton?

With Macc relegated and Latics safe I reckon it'd be best for Matt Smith to be recalled & given a start v Carlisle in place of Bunn or Simpson. Build for next season. Would a recall be allowed?

Also - are there any L2 strikers you think we could attract here within our budget? How about Billy Kee at Burton?

Matt Smith wont cut it in League 1, I may be corrected but he didnt always start at Macc.

IMO he hasnt got much in his locker and is pretty much food and drink for most league 1 centre halfs.

How can a player be so prolific at non-league level and ineffective in League One?

He must have the skill, ability and positional play but needs the coaching to transfer it to the next level.

Are we just being impatient with him?

I honestly think we have a gem on our hands that needs polishing and I'd rather us give him time than pull the lever. We did the same with Davies, O'Grady and others who then come good after we let them go.

With a tight budget next season, coaching and development is critical. Start a summer boot camp so in the close season our younger strikers and midfielders receive intensive coaching on positional play, crossing, shooting, heading and dead-ball play.

How can a player be so prolific at non-league level and ineffective in League One?

He must have the skill, ability and positional play but needs the coaching to transfer it to the next level.

Are we just being impatient with him?

I honestly think we have a gem on our hands that needs polishing and I'd rather us give him time than pull the lever. We did the same with Davies, O'Grady and others who then come good after we let them go.

With a tight budget next season, coaching and development is critical. Start a summer boot camp so in the close season our younger strikers and midfielders receive intensive coaching on positional play, crossing, shooting, heading and dead-ball play.

Scott Spencer has been prolific for Hyde but it league 2 at best.

How about we give him a chance? Let him play 10-15 games on the trot instead of a few minutes here and there when we're invariably chasing a game. The fact he was sent on loan to a team that was on its arse and hasn't won this year is an irrelevance.

Smith when he played was in the box and on the end of things, he scored three goals for us all away from home, had a couple disallowed and has hit the woodwork on a fair few occasions. As we won't have a pot to piss in next season Smith should get a proper chance, why else give him a 2 year deal?

If steady eddies like Black are being released and crocks like Diamond are being held back so as to not trigger new deals, then surely we should be looking at at using what we have contracted?

Smith hasn't played enough first-team football. Looked great in pre-season and did get some useful goals at Scunthorpe, Orient and Chesterfield. He will score goals but he needs time. Not many players score 15+ a season anyways.

Asking for too much too soon. In a season or two he has the potential to do well.

his biggest problems are a lack of pace - understandable at his size but for me for such a big lad he doesn't hold the ball well enough, he gets shoved and pulled about a lot and ends up trying to head things at waist height.

Still next season id have him around the squad and give him a run in the team. He gets chances - 3 goals this season ,a few missed efforts and few against the bar there is something to work with. We could do with giving him videos of steve fletcher.

Tommy Doc used to say that andy cole would always get goals for united (when he was in his first couple of seasons and wasn't doing so well) because he got into the right position to miss them. Smith will never be as prolific as Cole but if he could improve his hold up play and get 10 goals a season he would be useful

Edited by bluehobbit

How about we give him a chance? Let him play 10-15 games on the trot instead of a few minutes here and there

i hope we've got better options next season that we don't need to.

but we may aswell have been playing him during the last 15 games in hindsight.

pointless bringing him back for one match on Saturday

How about we give him a chance? Let him play 10-15 games on the trot instead of a few minutes here and there when we're invariably chasing a game. The fact he was sent on loan to a team that was on its arse and hasn't won this year is an irrelevance.

Smith when he played was in the box and on the end of things, he scored three goals for us all away from home, had a couple disallowed and has hit the woodwork on a fair few occasions. As we won't have a pot to piss in next season Smith should get a proper chance, why else give him a 2 year deal?

Hit the nail on the head. It's difficult in any position being given 10 minutes and being expected to change a game, and the worst position to play in a situation is as a striker. You need time to get used to the tempo of the match, and the style of defender you're up against (before anyone says, it's not always that obvious). He needs to be given a chance because he's not gonna progress by playing 10 minutes every week or so, hense his loan. As many others have said, he's bagged 3 goals, hit the bar a couple of times and been inches away from reaching quite a few low crosses into the box. Look at Chesterfield away, we rested Kuqi and put Smith in, what happened? He scored. Given time I think he can definately come good.

His height could become a decent asset to have if he learns to be a nasty bastard.

Good point. Didn't Steve Morison say that he only became as good as he is today because Jackett told him in his time at Millwall that he needs to be more aggressive and not worry about knocking opposition centre backs about? I think if Smith adapted the same way he'd be a nightmare for certain defenders to deal with. Just needs to be a bit more assertive with his build.

Aye that Bolt lad is slow for his height :rolleyes: . Them sprinters are all short. I dont buy into that you have to a short arse to run quick you just move your legs quicker to cover the same ground.

Usain Bolt is significantly taller than the others who are world class sprinters. Plus I bet Smith is not that slow over 100m- he just is over 25m, which is what you need as a striker. Bolt is a notoriously slow starter, whereas Ben Johnson, Leroy Burrell, Dennis Mitchell, Colin Jackson were all very good starters.

I would like Matt Smith to be given more chance - think next season how about using him and a.n.other from the start and if Sheif stays using him as an impact player last thirty minutes too give him is all as he is getting on.

He does seem to divide opinion doesn't he?

So many of our fans have been harping for ages for the club to look to the non-leagues for players - then when we do actually do that; give a 2 year deal to a player who the club feel is clearly a prospect, he's written off without any real chance to show what he can do, or develop with full time training.

I see a few flaws that others point to. He isn't the quickest is he? For his size, he doesn't dominate as much as he should. For a "big man", he is erratic with his heading. He has missed a few chances.

But - I also see that there is, IMO, a heck of a lot to work with there too. He'll have to be (& will be I'm sure) very aware that he's coming into the last year of his deal with us; and try to seize this opportunity - but he can't do a lot with 5 minutes here & there when we're chasing games can he?

He needs a run. Until we signed Kuqi, it looked like he would be getting that. Whenever he's played, he's threatened - 1 start at Chesterfield and 1 goal. Sent off the bench with 25+mins still left to play at Scunthorpe and he scored. He needs time on the pitch to show what he can do - because when he has been given more than the odd minute here & there, he has looked like he's a player to persevere with.

He's a striker who seems to be there when chances fall. A bit like Chris Porter was with us; being there to miss a couple but to still be there to score the one that bounces off thigh type player…..He gets into positions IN THE BOX (nod to Hallam there with the upper case ;-) - granted he's missed 1 or 2 of them with hitting the woodwork a few times, but he's still in there to miss them - and that's something that our forward line haven't done much at all since November * cough - Kuqi cough *

I really would have no qualms with PD basing his attacking tactics around Matt Smith up front for us; I really wouldn't. Get the ball out to the flanks and put it into the box, where he will be. If he doesn't get a direct effort on the goal himself; his size and presence should in theory, at the very least, create a bit of panic and space for others to take advantage of? Second balls and drops. Morais has a decent delivery in his locker (Sheff Weds example), with an actual target in the box to aim for; it should give him something to work with……for months he's had no forward anywhere near the chuffing box.

He's still a nipper sure, and yep he's inexperienced at this level - and I'm not for one moment saying that we should be building our whole team around him or that Smith should be starting every game for us next season - but I do think we should be playing him a lot more regularly than we have this season. You can just see it - well I can anyway….. He doesn't get a chance next year; and is either let go during the season or at the end of it…….is picked up; given a chance elsewhere and shines, and he'll be another one to add to the 'he never had a chance but is still rated as crap' brigade who go on and do well at other clubs.

I'm not at all convinced by his potential to be a good player, but would like to be proved wrong.

I can't see the likelihood of him being given 15 games as a starter if he doesn't do it in the first 5 or so of them. We couldn't afford to keep him in the team - I know Shefqi didn't score for yonks but his record was there , Smith has no record. He didn't shine at Macc either.

Give him starts in pre-season , let's see if he has toughened up, and learned to head the ball in the right direction.

Aye that Bolt lad is slow for his height :rolleyes: . Them sprinters are all short. I dont buy into that you have to a short arse to run quick you just move your legs quicker to cover the same ground.

When i said size i meant more his physique not height hes closer to the build of a rugby player than a footballer and while there will always be physcial freaks of nature like jonah lomou etc. Smith it just never going to have that pace that allows him to close down opposition players on run the channels

Edited by bluehobbit

It was tongue in cheek but Tyson Gay 5'11" Asafa Powell 6'3" arent short...

Force = mass x acceleration and frequency of stride factors........ lot of research that the BMI is linked to success or failure irespective of height = an optimum range. Think Reid, Feeney, Ricketts.

Stride length and leg turnover are the big factors to increase speed (NOT OVER STRIDING EITHER) thats why Ian Marshall has been subject of discussion over years I missed him but apparently looked a lazy booger but couldnt half shift. Long stride and covered the ground quickly. Matt Smith doesnt cover ground he doesnt pick his feet up when he runs. Flat footed even? Still lots to work with if as others say he gets a bit nasty on pitch. Dare I say it in style of a Ronnie Moore?

So, you claim that running speed is based on a combination of the length and frequency of strides? You could be onto something there :idea:

Oh for a Duxbury, a Murray or even a feckin; McDonald. When was the last time a central midfielder scored a goal in the box? Wes from a set-piece at PNE to make it 2-2. In open, open play? Wes v Wycombe at BP. Shocking and damning of the manager's cagey, :censored:e tactics…..

Oh for a Duxbury, a Murray or even a feckin; McDonald. When was the last time a central midfielder scored a goal in the box? Wes from a set-piece at PNE to make it 2-2. In open, open play? Wes v Wycombe at BP. Shocking and damning of the manager's cagey, :censored:e tactics…..

Adeyemi from a similar free kick at Carlisle? Must have been all of a week after Preston!

The kind of chance Adeyemi took against MK Dons at home is what I want to see midfielders do!

He does seem to divide opinion doesn't he?

So many of our fans have been harping for ages for the club to look to the non-leagues for players - then when we do actually do that; give a 2 year deal to a player who the club feel is clearly a prospect, he's written off without any real chance to show what he can do, or develop with full time training.

I see a few flaws that others point to. He isn't the quickest is he? For his size, he doesn't dominate as much as he should. For a "big man", he is erratic with his heading. He has missed a few chances.

But - I also see that there is, IMO, a heck of a lot to work with there too. He'll have to be (& will be I'm sure) very aware that he's coming into the last year of his deal with us; and try to seize this opportunity - but he can't do a lot with 5 minutes here & there when we're chasing games can he?

He needs a run. Until we signed Kuqi, it looked like he would be getting that. Whenever he's played, he's threatened - 1 start at Chesterfield and 1 goal. Sent off the bench with 25+mins still left to play at Scunthorpe and he scored. He needs time on the pitch to show what he can do - because when he has been given more than the odd minute here & there, he has looked like he's a player to persevere with.

He's a striker who seems to be there when chances fall. A bit like Chris Porter was with us; being there to miss a couple but to still be there to score the one that bounces off thigh type player…..He gets into positions IN THE BOX (nod to Hallam there with the upper case ;-) - granted he's missed 1 or 2 of them with hitting the woodwork a few times, but he's still in there to miss them - and that's something that our forward line haven't done much at all since November * cough - Kuqi cough *

I really would have no qualms with PD basing his attacking tactics around Matt Smith up front for us; I really wouldn't. Get the ball out to the flanks and put it into the box, where he will be. If he doesn't get a direct effort on the goal himself; his size and presence should in theory, at the very least, create a bit of panic and space for others to take advantage of? Second balls and drops. Morais has a decent delivery in his locker (Sheff Weds example), with an actual target in the box to aim for; it should give him something to work with……for months he's had no forward anywhere near the chuffing box.

He's still a nipper sure, and yep he's inexperienced at this level - and I'm not for one moment saying that we should be building our whole team around him or that Smith should be starting every game for us next season - but I do think we should be playing him a lot more regularly than we have this season. You can just see it - well I can anyway….. He doesn't get a chance next year; and is either let go during the season or at the end of it…….is picked up; given a chance elsewhere and shines, and he'll be another one to add to the 'he never had a chance but is still rated as crap' brigade who go on and do well at other clubs.

The problem is getting the ball from the flanks, PD said Kirk Millar didn't receive much of the ball last Saturday, well having started him as out an out winger wasn't it the managers job to instruct he received a plentiful supply, if he hasn't got the players capable of doing that what's the point of wingers ?

Good job Ricky Holden or David Eyres weren't playing under PD, they would have been virtually ineffective in this set up.