Goal Line Technology

After last nights match, goal line technology as fifa president sebby put it is "now a neccessity" and it does look like it will come under consideration. Now it is notable that premiership clubs and a few championship clubs will invest in it but for oldham and the state of our finances would we consider it if it wasnt compulsory? Bear in mind the cost and whether or not we would benefit from it, would corney introduce it? Personally i cant see us having it and would rather the expense go on something else...i feel i may be judged on this...opinions?

I don't think the club will pay for it. But if it became compulsary at our level we'd have to and I feel clubs like us would suffer immensely from it. In my opinion it is not needed outside the very highest level of football. What did they do 20 or 30 years ago? They just got on with it. It's things like a dodgy decision that gets your heart going and although not nice when it happens against you, it's what makes football interesting.

I think it is total horse:censored:. There is so much cheating, diving, feigning injury, bad tackling and so on, affecting every game, that to my mind these once a season events are a total irrelevance. Besides, with the only other two instances where it would have been applied this tournament the officials got decisions bang on.

Waste of energy by a useless governing body. I'd rather see them get offsides right, which would have rendered yesterday's events null and void anyway.

While on rant too by the way - both Germany and Spain through on the back of penalties not given? Again I'd look at that rather than cameras in the goal.

I think they should remove the posts and net altogether and have a goal-shaped panel made of small explosive charges placed a balls width and a millimetre behind where it was. The BOOM! signals a goal with no need for electronic communication to the referree.

I think they should remove the posts and net altogether and have a goal-shaped panel made of small explosive charges placed a balls width and a millimetre behind where it was. The BOOM! signals a goal with no need for electronic communication to the referree.

Love it but forget the boom. It could set off dfferent sorts of dance oriented tunes depending on whether it's a home or away goal

I think it is total horse:censored:. There is so much cheating, diving, feigning injury, bad tackling and so on, affecting every game, that to my mind these once a season events are a total irrelevance. Besides, with the only other two instances where it would have been applied this tournament the officials got decisions bang on.

Waste of energy by a useless governing body. I'd rather see them get offsides right, which would have rendered yesterday's events null and void anyway.

While on rant too by the way - both Germany and Spain through on the back of penalties not given? Again I'd look at that rather than cameras in the goal.

WTF are these extra 5th? officials their for. They just seem to take their money and keep schtum

Edited by Keepingthe Faith

This argument only exists because too much football is on television. It is over-analysed to a point where the cliche-ridden drivel is boring.

As Oldham fans, we would never know (in most cases) if the ball has crossed the line because we don't see it.

The way I look at it is as soon as it is introduced it'll eventually grow to cover most aspects of the game because what occur more: incorrect decisions when the ball crosses the line or offside goals?

We live in a bizarre era where if there's technology we MUST have it. The simple fact is we don't even know what we're arguing for. It is the broadcasters that wish to grip an audience and controversial decisions are loved by them and the rest of the media empire.

I'm a resounding no to GLT.

This argument only exists because too much football is on television. It is over-analysed to a point where the cliche-ridden drivel is boring.

As Oldham fans, we would never know (in most cases) if the ball has crossed the line because we don't see it.

The way I look at it is as soon as it is introduced it'll eventually grow to cover most aspects of the game because what occur more: incorrect decisions when the ball crosses the line or offside goals?

We live in a bizarre era where if there's technology we MUST have it. The simple fact is we don't even know what we're arguing for. It is the broadcasters that wish to grip an audience and controversial decisions are loved by them and the rest of the media empire.

I'm a resounding no to GLT.

Saw that one, along with everyone else,except the ref, in the FA Cup replay at Maine Road, against the scum

personally against goal line technology, it takes the talking points from the pubs and its what makes football so much better than most sports. wheres the talking points in golf etc?

if we do have it though, i cant see why they cant just put a chip in the ball, with sensors around the goal which you can clip on and off the posts. issue the refs with them like they do whistles and flags, and they can be used at any level up and down the leagues, ie if liverpool drew ashton utd away from home it wouldnt be a problem.

this technology is already available, and relatively cheap, solutions dont have to be ridiculously expensive.

personally against goal line technology, it takes the talking points from the pubs and its what makes football so much better than most sports. wheres the talking points in golf etc?

if we do have it though, i cant see why they cant just put a chip in the ball, with sensors around the goal which you can clip on and off the posts. issue the refs with them like they do whistles and flags, and they can be used at any level up and down the leagues, ie if liverpool drew ashton utd away from home it wouldnt be a problem.

this technology is already available, and relatively cheap, solutions dont have to be ridiculously expensive.

Are you sure? I actually think it would be quite difficult and prone to massive error.

Are you sure? I actually think it would be quite difficult and prone to massive error.

dont get me wrong im not saying the device as i describe it is available. im saying the technology needed to make such a device is available. its only the same sort of thing used in timing chips for marathons which would be needed.

Jesus, move into the future and stop moaning about. GLT is happening, although i don't think it will be in our league!

I'm sure that's what some sections said at football's main stages of development, and they were often correct.

I wouldn't be too fussed about it coming in for literally only goal line decisions but it's where it goes is my concern.

Apart from "move into the future" what exactly do you favour? For what reasons do you support the introduction of GLT?

As with crickets 'Hawk-eye' the only ones that maybe need eradicating, are the absolute howlers. So if the ball's just clipping the stumps, it stays with the original 'on field' decision.

So to achieve this within football, the technology is already there. ie, the 4th official who has access to a tv monitor, could just buzz the ref. In the same way that linesman do. Any marginal ones that require several angled views, etc. could just remain with the on field decision.

How far back in the passage of play do you go?

If you're just assessing the goal-line then Ukraine equalised.

If you step back to the offside, they didn't.

Let's, for argument sake, say the referee missed a trip on Rooney at the other end of the pitch 15 seconds before Ukraine broke clear. Does the decision become a penalty to England at the other end?

I think it is time for such technology. But how it's used in conjunction with TV pictures needs to be carefully thought through.