justice done.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the diatribe against the 'English' way of playing and the subsequent slagging off of the one player in the team who actually plays a little differently :lol::petesake:

You're saying Rooney plays differently? Everytime Rooney gets the ball he looks for the most difficult option available and generally :censored:s it up at international level. Messi, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Kaka etc etc, nearly always look for the easy option and then use their ability when the time is right, that's why they're on a different level to Rooney. I've been hoping for a few years he'll actually work this out at some point but let's be honest, he's thick as pig :censored: and it's unlikely to happen. He'll still score the odd amazing goal but he'll never get anywhere near fulfilling his potential.

The fact he ever got mentioned in the same breathe as Gazza is an insult.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Not fulfilling potential and being :censored:ing dog:censored: are two quite different things. Now, I'm not saying he's in the world class bracket or owt, but to lament the kick-and-rush tactics synonymous with English football in one breath and berate the one English player (at the Euros anyway) with an ounce of skill, vision and guile in the next seems a bit inconsistent.

Not fulfilling potential and being :censored:ing dog:censored: are two quite different things. Now, I'm not saying he's in the world class bracket or owt, but to lament the kick-and-rush tactics synonymous with English football in one breath and berate the one English player (at the Euros anyway) with an ounce of skill, vision and guile in the next seems a bit inconsistent.

I wouldn't say he has vision or guile. He tries things we can all see but realise isn't the best option pretty much every time he touches the ball. A player who gives the ball away 9/10 to me is a bad player. Joe Cole was more skillful than Rooney and contributed more but wasn't lauded as our saviour.

Actually, Joe Cole was lauded as England's saviour for a number of years during his early career. But that's by the by. If you think Wayne Rooney is a bad player you're probably better off disassociating yourself from international football, because you're in for a lifetime of disappointment otherwise :lol:

Along with Terry (Eurgh, hate typing that) - Gerrard was our stand-out player this time?

I wouldn't disagree with that (including the feeling of distaste) - in Gerrard's case I think cutting out the Hollywood balls and finally using some positional discipline played a major part in it. I still think him or Parker should have been standing in front of Pirlo rather than looking for Rooney or Welback to track him but that might have been a management decision

Pirlo gave a masterclass in the last couple of matches, demonstrating the art of spotting the right pass and executing it almost perfectly time after time.

Sadly it appears to be a skill in short supply in an english side. It would have been interesting to see how wilshere would have performed on the big stage, Imo he seems to be the closest thing we've got on the horizon.

Actually, Joe Cole was lauded as England's saviour for a number of years during his early career. But that's by the by. If you think Wayne Rooney is a bad player you're probably better off disassociating yourself from international football, because you're in for a lifetime of disappointment otherwise :lol:

Oh don't worry I expect us to go out early and perform badly ;)

I don't remember Joe Cole ever touted as our saviour more a player with outstanding natural technique but I never remember having the impression that he was going to be expected to carry England, was a while ago now to be honest though. I don't think he ever quite reached the hype Rooney received, with the next Paul Gascoigne bollocks when he was 16/17. Truth is, even our so called 'best players' like Rooney are miles, MILES, behind their European counterparts. As others have said, Gerrard has often been equally at fault in always looking for the Hollywood ball, fortunately he seems to have actually matured a little as far as this tournament was concerned.

• 2 weeks later...