So much more than a signing

Today's business by the club is so much more than just a signing

As a club we have a number of fans who are negative and expect the unrealistic, I would for one like to say the club have done very well

Just 3 weeks ago we were sat with a number of players still out of contract and to a degree this is still true, we were short both in quality and numbers and some had already pushed the panic button. Luckily we have some realistic fans and I just hope some of the worried are now seeing the chance we have to move forward.

Not for a second do I want to raise expectation beyond the acheiveable for this club, a mid table finish i think we would take and would like to see some progress in terms of both Dickov developing as a more tatically aware manager at times and players learning from errors they have made in the past

Without even having captured new signing other than 2 kids who 1 could turn into a great player we have captured the 4 players who were out of contract I think the gaffer would have made top priority in terms of bouzdanis, furman, wes and Simpson. That can only bode well for the future as well as encourage people who are in talks with the club to sign if they were in any doubt as better players will quite rightly want to play with better players

I could not care less if none of the others sign maybe m'changaman aside, I think Kuqi and Diallo leaving could be a blessing in disguise, i.e we have cleared the crap and kept the players who add better quality

If we add to the mix a pretty certain to be confirmed deal for Brown should a championship side not come in which i wouldnt expect and the potential to sign Tawio then we have a squad who look like an honest bunch who both want to compete and more importantly want to wear the shirt for the right reasons other than taking a pay day elsewhere

Add to the mix a cup tie that will make the club money that would not have been budget for in plans add an increase in ST sales (ok because of kids sales) but could be a master-stroke for the future and a league that is noteably weaker than it has been in the past and I for one am satisfied sat here before pre-season has even began

Yes, we have lost Lee who will be so hard to replace and certainly wont be overnight and Taylor who love him or hate him did alot for this club but remember we are not replacing Taylor of a couple of years back its Tails of last season who far from set the world alight and was one of if not the biggest earners at this club.

We also have as good a gk in this league as any and the beauty that if we sell it should be for a fee that will help the club out both on and off the field if we can hopefully invest this in wages rather than transfer fees

So for once rather than have a pop at this club i think we should say well done!

KTF

Deano

Edited by laticdickovarmy

nope just another signing :wink:

seriously I am over the moon that Simpson has signed, I think its fantastic that we got a deal for him.....but again its a 1 year deal which means he will walk at the end of the year with Furman unless we go up.

its at that point that the daggers come out becasue we are not giving long enough contracts...i know we cant obviously

we need others to sign others and get the deals done soon, its a good start but lets not start patting ourselves on the back just yet

he was our player last year after all

Its a different point of you Palmer and an argument I can see but the thing is we could go down and then be stuck with a Furman and Simpson who we can afford and could be part of crippling the club

I dont think we would go down but players like Furman and Simmo have shown loyalty and I think we have to respect they will want at the end of the season to assess where they are in their careers and maybe like Taylor have what could be their only shot of a chance in a bigger league

I agree with laticdickovarmy To be honest big credit goes to the chairman and Paul Dickov - I am totally sure that Simpson and Wes etc. had better offers (quality players at this level) - I have questioned the managers tatics and management style a few times especially towards the end of both seasons but in my mind he has both the connections / drive to get the players with skills he wants and sell this club to any players he feels he needs and yes you will not win them all in the transfer market but I bet he will win most and that is a bit of a edge.

I will go as far as I did today at work and say that with more experience and knowledge I predict that Paul Dickov with the drive that he has will end up as a young up and coming manager in the EPL within 5 - 10 years - yes probably without us.

We moan yes - but it is because we care passionly about this club and wnat the best we can for it - but I think we have a dynamic team at the top.

With a few more top notch signing I believe that we will have a quailty first team (barring injuries) that will give anyone a run.

Mid - Table great but with a little luck so much more.

Also lets be postive so much better than dire spells under Talbot, Moore, Penny etc.

To be honest I'd much rather us retain our better players. We need a settled squad rather than the wholesale clearouts that we've had in the past. The only other thing we need now is luck with injuries. If we can keep the backbone of Furman, Wes and Simpson 80% free of injuries we should see a decent campaign. Certainly at least 3 quality players short; right back, left back and a centre half. A seasoned centre forward who's going to return 12-15 goals and we could even be on the fringes of the play-offs this term rather than watching over our shoulders.

To be honest I'd much rather us retain our better players.

I completely agree, it theory in should be easier to retain than to attract new players of equal or better quality, therefore if we lose our best players, its unlikely that we will improve.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

So add another young keeper on their and take cisak out I suppose and £££ for the club to boot for a player who could if not walk for nowt next season

Disappointed if goes but life goes on as does Oldham athletic fc

Sure someone said we had a further 12mth option for next season.

So Lee Croft can be thrown in as well to the above, again cant help but say very very happy

Best summer we have had potentially for a long long time and loans will be added I am sure and a striker at least, would like another right back and centre-half as well another winger

At least 2 of the above will be loans

I agree, some good business seems to have been done, time will tell,.

I know we all think we need 2-5 more singings, but overall the nucleus of the sqaud seems to be in place.

At the time that the Portugal trip was announced, quite a few, including me, wanted to make sure that the bulk fo the squad was in place for that.

Anyone else think that nowenough of the squad are going to make it worthwhile?

I reckon we need an experienced centre back (even if a veteran to act primarily as cover and provide leadership to Tarkowski and Belezika); a left winger; a reserve central midfielder (Mchangama will do nicely); and a more experienced striker. That I think would give us a realistically staffed squad.

I reckon we need an experienced centre back (even if a veteran to act primarily as cover and provide leadership to Tarkowski and Belezika); a left winger; a reserve central midfielder (Mchangama will do nicely); and a more experienced striker. That I think would give us a realistically staffed squad.

Ive just said similar in another post. I personally dont think we can afford financially to brinf a veteran in as cover. They seem to cost on wages and if we are signing one Id expect him to play. Cliff Byrne is still available. We could do a lot worse.

Im still not convinced by Tarky and a defender would be at the top of my list with a striker, if big jean got injured we would be so screwed at the back

Reece Brown i still think will be the defender just announced on eve on the season

If we also got a Clarke up top and an out and out winger I dont think we would be unfair to say we should aim for top half of course though priority is safety and build from there

I think we could have as good a start as when Dickov took over and we were riding high up until xmas

Like most fans on here i have been very impressed with the buisness that the club has done so far and the core of the squad is in place, 3 -5 more signings needed to make us a decent squad though. IMO we still need:

1st choice right back as i think Brown will be used as a utilty player from the bench.

1st choice centre half with League experiance Nathan Clarke/ Zac Whitbread/ Alex Bruce/ Fitz Hall all available on free's or Reece Brown back on a season long loan deal.

1st choice Left winger as looking through the squad i don't see we have one at all. Aiden White from Leeds available on a free did well here last time.

1st choice Striker with League experiance and who knows where the net is Leon Clarke / Freedy Eastwood / Roman Bednar / Steven Davis

So far so good keep up the good work and heres hoping for a season to look forward to.

Today's business by the club is so much more than just a signing

As a club we have a number of fans who are negative and expect the unrealistic, I would for one like to say the club have done very well

Just 3 weeks ago we were sat with a number of players still out of contract and to a degree this is still true, we were short both in quality and numbers and some had already pushed the panic button. Luckily we have some realistic fans and I just hope some of the worried are now seeing the chance we have to move forward.

Not for a second do I want to raise expectation beyond the acheiveable for this club, a mid table finish i think we would take and would like to see some progress in terms of both Dickov developing as a more tatically aware manager at times and players learning from errors they have made in the past

Without even having captured new signing other than 2 kids who 1 could turn into a great player we have captured the 4 players who were out of contract I think the gaffer would have made top priority in terms of bouzdanis, furman, wes and Simpson. That can only bode well for the future as well as encourage people who are in talks with the club to sign if they were in any doubt as better players will quite rightly want to play with better players

I could not care less if none of the others sign maybe m'changaman aside, I think Kuqi and Diallo leaving could be a blessing in disguise, i.e we have cleared the crap and kept the players who add better quality

If we add to the mix a pretty certain to be confirmed deal for Brown should a championship side not come in which i wouldnt expect and the potential to sign Tawio then we have a squad who look like an honest bunch who both want to compete and more importantly want to wear the shirt for the right reasons other than taking a pay day elsewhere

Add to the mix a cup tie that will make the club money that would not have been budget for in plans add an increase in ST sales (ok because of kids sales) but could be a master-stroke for the future and a league that is noteably weaker than it has been in the past and I for one am satisfied sat here before pre-season has even began

Yes, we have lost Lee who will be so hard to replace and certainly wont be overnight and Taylor who love him or hate him did alot for this club but remember we are not replacing Taylor of a couple of years back its Tails of last season who far from set the world alight and was one of if not the biggest earners at this club.

We also have as good a gk in this league as any and the beauty that if we sell it should be for a fee that will help the club out both on and off the field if we can hopefully invest this in wages rather than transfer fees

So for once rather than have a pop at this club i think we should say well done!

KTF

Deano

Has Diallo gone?

Im still not convinced by Tarky and a defender would be at the top of my list with a striker, if big jean got injured we would be so screwed at the back

Reece Brown i still think will be the defender just announced on eve on the season

If we also got a Clarke up top and an out and out winger I dont think we would be unfair to say we should aim for top half of course though priority is safety and build from there

I think we could have as good a start as when Dickov took over and we were riding high up until xmas

If anyone is feeling ultra confident you can have 66/1 on latics winning the league and 20/1 for promotion :first: