Borrowing this money like the Glazers did, should be illegal.

Don't talk crap. The Glazers have pulled off yet another superb money making venture.....why should it be illegal.....Borrowing money like the Glazers did is business....it goes on every day of the week in every country in the world. How many people do you know with a mortgage?.....is that illegal too?.....because it's the closest business transaction to what has taken place at OT. Quite simply, they mortgaged ownership. If they fail to pay the interest on the debt (which clearly they haven't), they risk losing ownership to the funders. Difference at Pompey is that the people who mortgaged them were stupid enough to risk it all with no attractive assets to fall back on.......a bell that rings very close to home for Mr Corney! If the Glazers DID ever default.....which they won't.....there'd be :censored: loads of willing investors waiting to try their hand next. Football is business.....how many times have you heard the phrase "your investments can go down as well as up"......get used to it....it ain't gonna change!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim to understand it all properly, but is it the case that the Glazers borrowed money on behalf of the club in order to buy the club and that is why Manure are in debt. Please can someone tell me if this is correct, why it makes sense for the club to do this and why it is allowed.

And if it is the case that it works just like a mortgage, then isn't it the Glazers who have the debt and not Man Utd?

I wave the white flag of ignorance here . I really don't get it. If someone can explain it to me, i'd be grateful.

I don't claim to understand it all properly, but is it the case that the Glazers borrowed money on behalf of the club in order to buy the club and that is why Manure are in debt. Please can someone tell me if this is correct, why it makes sense for the club to do this and why it is allowed.

And if it is the case that it works just like a mortgage, then isn't it the Glazers who have the debt and not Man Utd?

I wave the white flag of ignorance here . I really don't get it. If someone can explain it to me, i'd be grateful.

The Glazers own Manchester United. That business has big debts secured on it. The money was borrowed to enable the purchase. They service the debt using income from their business. If the Glaziers don't pay those debts the lenders can take ownership of the business, sell it off and recover the money owed.

I own a nice house in middle-class suburbia. That house has a big debt secured on it. The money was borrowed to enable the purchase. I service the debt using income from my employment. If I don't pay the debts, the bank can take ownership of my home, sell it off and recover the money owed.

Edited by opinions4u

The Glazers own Manchester United. That business has big debts secured on it. The money was borrowed to enable the purchase. They service the debt using income from their business. If the Glaziers don't pay those debts the lenders can take ownership of the business, sell it off and recover the money owed.

I own a nice house in middle-class suburbia. That house has a big debt secured on it. The money was borrowed to enable the purchase. I service the debt using income from my employment. If I don't pay the debts, the bank can take ownership of my home, sell it off and recover the money owed.

The bit that always confuses me is how they were allowed to secure a loan on the business ahead of actually owning it. To my mind, it's like getting a second mortgage against property ahead of getting the first to complete the initial purchase.

The bit that always confuses me is how they were allowed to secure a loan on the business ahead of actually owning it. To my mind, it's like getting a second mortgage against property ahead of getting the first to complete the initial purchase.

The loan and purchase complete simultaneously.

Much the same as a mortgage to buy a house.

It's a little more complex where there are multiple lenders, but the principles are much the same.

Since then they've renegotiated many of their credit facilities and brought in new lenders too. Much like remortgaging and / or taking a different product from your bank.

Edited by opinions4u

The loan and purchase complete simultaneously.

Much the same as a mortgage to buy a house.

It's a little more complex where there are multiple lenders, but the principles are much the same.

Since then they've renegotiated many of their credit facilities and brought in new lenders too. Much like remortgaging and / or taking a different product from your bank.

.....and the key being.....if you have a good track record of servicing debt.....you are making good profits for those that are lending you the money.....and there will be :censored: loads of lenders falling at your feet to let you do it again. The Glazers are experts at it and they make lots of money for their lenders.....lots of money for themselves and the world goes around. We can all argue whether or not manchester united is worth the $1bn they will likely sell it for but the fact is....if another investor is willing to pay the asking price, it's all fair game and no different from buying and selling property.

Doesn't there come a point when fans are better off eding the agony and starting from scratch? Say what you like about the MK Dons scenarioj but hose Wimbeledon fans who stuck with AFC must have had a heck of a lot more fun than they woudl have done if the old club had carried on limping along until the inevitable happened.

If you look at what business leaders are saying, the problem with the economy is that businesses cannot get their hands on finance to develop and expand there business. As much as what the Glazers have done is hard to stomach for many, its good business.

In terms of how it benefits the UK, any pension funds or companies that bought into United got a healthy payment for selling their shares.

Doesn't there come a point when fans are better off eding the agony and starting from scratch? Say what you like about the MK Dons scenarioj but hose Wimbeledon fans who stuck with AFC must have had a heck of a lot more fun than they woudl have done if the old club had carried on limping along until the inevitable happened.

+1.

Obviously I'd have preferred every other team to have moved up a place to ensure that the franchise didn't exist but Wimbledon are a great example that just because the business ceases to exist doesn't mean that the spirit of the football club will too.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet they still beat Bolton 3-0 at the weekend.

There's a pic doing the rounds of the back of the match day programme. The squadlists show about 6 pompey players on one side and around 30 bolton players on the other!

• 2 weeks later...

Chanrai has now withdrawn his offer, that could be good news though. I know Sky are claiming they are staring liquidation in the face, but the Supporters trust have raised over £3m and secured a £1.45m loan from the council. Once any takeover goes through there's £11.5m in parachute payments apparently due to over the next year.

I do hope they put out a similar team to last night on September 1st though...

They'll be fine Bob, Supporters Trust are preparing a bid. They'll have a team of kids but at least they'll control their own destiny

how much money does pompey own the inland revenue and others ? just read that they owe .120million pounds :omg: Edited by boboafc

They'll be fine Bob, Supporters Trust are preparing a bid. They'll have a team of kids but at least they'll control their own destiny

Think on SSN they said 8(?) of the starting XI were 18 or under. And we think we've got a team of kids, poor sods.