• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what's important! Forcing teams to think before they spend, not just wipe out the debt and start again!

The people who have made the bad decisions have moved on without any penalty whatsoever (like the bankers). The people who are suffering are the fans through no fault of their own. Buyers of football clubs should have to put up an amount of money which will cover the running costs of the club for at least six months after they have left and it would be held in trust, so that if they walk away leaving vast debts they lose this money and it's used to keep the club running until another buyer can be found.

But that would require an unheard of level of transparency and a degree of foresight and honesty that I can't see any club owner showing. Also, six months' costs wouldn't help if a club has run up millions and has players locked into ridiculous multi-year contracts, or where future season ticket sales have been mortgaged.

I agree absolutely with the principle that owners need to be held more accountable than they are, but disqualification/club punishments just aren't working. I'd like to see (throughout the business world) mismanagement, asset-stripping, and similar practices criminalised (or where already criminal, prosecuted more robustly). Not easy, and there are some grey areas I'm sure, but punishing the legal entity just isn't working.

For years, fans and players have suffered because of bad management/ownership. Yet they can walk away and even carry on with another club. It is ridiculous. I'd also love to see these arseholes prosecuted under new legislation. Look at those F*****g bankers. Nobody could get away with what they have. It's a crimially insane world. Everything is upside down.

But that would require an unheard of level of transparency and a degree of foresight and honesty that I can't see any club owner showing. Also, six months' costs wouldn't help if a club has run up millions and has players locked into ridiculous multi-year contracts, or where future season ticket sales have been mortgaged.

I agree absolutely with the principle that owners need to be held more accountable than they are, but disqualification/club punishments just aren't working. I'd like to see (throughout the business world) mismanagement, asset-stripping, and similar practices criminalised (or where already criminal, prosecuted more robustly). Not easy, and there are some grey areas I'm sure, but punishing the legal entity just isn't working.

The money put into trust would have to cover all existing contracts when they take over, plus any new contracts made by them. I agree it would be a vast amount, but that would be the price of owning a football club. Borrowing this money like the Glazers did, should be illegal.

And restrictions on transfers and budgets for 5 years...

How are they going to police this?

This is the problem its a little bit like a wage cap, I can see people finding loopholes and finding ways round it. Man City and Chelsea's systems aren't currently sustainable even taking into account the fact that they won the premiership and champions league respectively. With the finanacial fair play coming in to play in 2014 Chelsea forked out over £30million for Eden Hazard and City were prepared to match them. They must be pretty comfortable finding ways round these problems. Both clubs lose £10's of millions each year.

I like Pompey but as I said in the opening thread not too upset I have £20 on us beat them and I had £130 for them to be relegated

Very happy with todays work

Hate to say i told you so

Brilliant day all round put on 12th July :0

Edited by laticdickovarmy

As said before, I really feel for the fans. My brother-in-law, nephew and late father-in-law all true blue Pompey fans; born and brought up a goal kick away from Fratton Park. Believe me, it hurts. Will other clubs learn from this? Not if they think they can get away with it.

Feel for the fans of Portsmouth, but to play devil's advocate - what about the fans of clubs that were relegated while Pompey occupied the higher leagues effectively cheating in terms of splashing cash they couldn't afford at a time when smaller clubs played by the book? The likes of Portsmouth and Rangers in millions of debt and surviving (albeit only just about now) must be galling for fans of lower league clubs that have all-but bitten the dust for being in debts that have been miniscule in comparison? It seems the League are taking this into account with the whole protecting the integrity of the league angle. But even if they go down again, Pompey will still remain a Football League despite ridiculous debts and financial management, and have been given an olive branch to survive. Meanwhile, another L2 club that has probably played by the book is relegated to non-league (far greater punishment) and faces a mountain to climb.

Feel for the fans of Portsmouth, but to play devil's advocate - what about the fans of clubs that were relegated while Pompey occupied the higher leagues effectively cheating in terms of splashing cash they couldn't afford at a time when smaller clubs played by the book? The likes of Portsmouth and Rangers in millions of debt and surviving (albeit only just about now) must be galling for fans of lower league clubs that have all-but bitten the dust for being in debts that have been miniscule in comparison? It seems the League are taking this into account with the whole protecting the integrity of the league angle. But even if they go down again, Pompey will still remain a Football League despite ridiculous debts and financial management, and have been given an olive branch to survive. Meanwhile, another L2 club that has probably played by the book is relegated to non-league (far greater punishment) and faces a mountain to climb.

This. A Thousand times this. Pompey spent money they didn't have won the FA cup, played AC Milan in Europe. If Pompey go under their fans will still have some very happy memories that thousands of fans of clubs like us can now only dream of.

I do feel sorry for their fans a bit but at the moment I'd swap the last 10 years of their history for ours and only them going out of business in the next 4 years would make me change that opinion.

CRINGE!

nice bods tho

why do we have 12 years olds for cheerleaders....

Met quite a few of there fans over in the Ukraine good bunch, there desperate to buy the club but its the high earners refusing to take put cuts that holding them back.

Met quite a few of there fans over in the Ukraine good bunch, there desperate to buy the club but its the high earners refusing to take put cuts that holding them back.

If I was :censored: at my job, and everyone knew it, but I was on £1.5 million for the last year of my contract, you wouldn't shift me with a crow bar

Kanu...free agent.....legend

Are never forget his hat-rick he bagged for us at 2-0 at the bridge, especially being from a family of Gooners and my old man the only Chelsea fan :)

Bloody love to get him here a model pro but wages would be a massive problem and never been prolific in his career, the youngsters could learn so much from him

kannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuuuu chants all games bring back memories

If I was :censored: at my job, and everyone knew it, but I was on £1.5 million for the last year of my contract, you wouldn't shift me with a crow bar

What if the company had a good chance of going under because of your actions. I think it just shows the mentality of these footballers today. A very selfish attitude. Pompey are very lucky they did'nt have to start from the bottom like Chester for example. It's sad for this to happen to a club. Thankfully something is finally being done about it.

I like Pompey but as I said in the opening thread not too upset I have £20 on us beat them and I had £130 for them to be relegated

Very happy with todays work

Hate to say i told you so

I would not count your chickens

You might have been a tad hasty, of course they are under heavy restrictions and rightly so, but once the takeover happens things should ease a bit.

Gald we are playing them early though.

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking good for them at the minute but, given the questions that were raised when we announced the Portugal trip, how have Portsmouth managed a Gribraltar visit when they're not paying bills at home?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18958234

Hope it doesn't but what would happen if they do go bump? With regard to relegations/promotions

We've seen it time and again, and the rate clubs are being ripped apart is increasing. It's difficult to prosecute a "club" where emotions tend to keep them running, but modern-day clubs have a dozen to a few hundred employees and they're out of jobs so criminal action needs to be taken.

However, the FA and Premier League (and Football League) are not without fault. Too many invididuals and groups are allowed to swoop on clubs, drive up spending to breaking point all in search of the riches just a few places to leagues above them. Portsmouth have had two or three idiots in, Blackburn are suffering (but without over-spending), Notts County were lucky to avoid trouble. There's examples all over the country

The issue I have with supporters is that, having seen the woes that can afflict football clubs, caution goes out of the window. Portsmouth's accounts were published and the reading is bleak. Did the majority of the supporters care that nearly 100% of the club's income paid player wages? No. They rode the crest of the wave. Sadly I think too many fans would trade their values for the FA Cup.

I think football supporters can be more responsible when deciding to accept a bloke from Eastern Europe arriving, donning a safety gap, and allowing him to spend ridiculous amounts before the club has successfully branched out globally. I do sympathise with the supporters but only to an extent.

Manchester City have owners with foresight and Crawley, despite the blackhole, have balanced their books with player sales.