Birmingham not budging over friendly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use 22 Players as against Mossley. Start at 6 and Play Birmingham with 1 to 11 At half time we start to play City with 12 to 22. At half time in that match we play the second half against Brum and at full time play second half against City. 3 hours continuous football for the fans and everyone is happy. City have Rochdale Road end, Birmingham the main stand paddock. Even more money made by Oldham. The extra long half times could be used to sell takeaway curries to the Brum fans from our enormous number of ethnic takeaways, and Holts beerand a kebab to the City fans.

Despite the city game arguably being better for the club coffers, i still feel fairly uncomfortable about the whole episode.

If a written agreement was in place, then it's poor form in my book.

I dont, money is money, there aint no bond between the clubs, City saved us 8 years ago when they filled BP which helped pay the taxman.

With the money from this and the cash from the TV Wednesday game, its a welcome boost to the coffers.

Despite the city game arguably being better for the club coffers, i still feel fairly uncomfortable about the whole episode.

Agreed.

If City decide to say -"Actually we wan to play Bolton" on that date, no doubt people on here will have a fit. I hope they do. Would serve us right.

Edited by pukka

No prob whatsoever with it what so ever. Brum are not suffering other than from a minor inconvience. This is business and Latics can't afford to turn City down.

Interesting article in the Sunday Mercury. The way that reads, the club did let Birmingham know they wanted to cancel the game and Birmingham agreed. The only sticking point seems to be that we announced the City game before they had a chance to arrange a replacement fixture. Bit unprofessional and could have been handled better but I can't see how us announcing the City game is actually hindering them from arranging another game. 'Significant setback' is a bit OTT.

Birmingham hope to announce a replacement match early this week but the fact Oldham will not even face a full Manchester City side, Roberto Mancini’s first team squad will be in Malaysia, makes the situation more irksome.

The very idea that we'd rather play Man City's reserves (plus the players who were at the Euros and won't be going to Malaysia, y'know, Balotelli, Silva, Hart, Nasri, most of their better players) than their awe-inspiring first team.....no wonder they're so insulted, the poor loves.

Agreed.

If City decide to say -"Actually we wan to play Bolton" on that date, no doubt people on here will have a fit. I hope they do. Would serve us right.

There's a chance for the club to make more money, I'd be pretty annoyed if we didn't take it and so what if Birmingham City are peeved? Unless they were willing to make up for the shortfall in our cash flow if we had have turned down the opportunity, I don't see that they're constantly doing us any favours. I'm quite sure that if they want L1 opposition, then Walsall would love to see them.

There's a chance for the club to make more money, I'd be pretty annoyed if we didn't take it and so what if Birmingham City are peeved? Unless they were willing to make up for the shortfall in our cash flow if we had have turned down the opportunity, I don't see that they're constantly doing us any favours. I'm quite sure that if they want L1 opposition, then Walsall & Coventry would love to see them. They could go on the bus and save money for those two

There ya go. Another option for the lovable Lee Clarke.

I prefer to take the long term view about this sort of thing, who knows if we might not get the pre season games we would like the next couple of years because Brum have been trash talking us about this? It does sound more like presentation than what has actually been done though. I'm sure the world will keep on turning.

If they had the same offer they would have done the same, the fact they have agreed to cancel and we announced it before they wanted us to is a non issue. Seems like Birmingham are just angry they were treated like a small side, on another day it would have been us losing a match. At first it was said they were still planning on playing the match, it turns out it was cancelled and they wanted us to announce it when they were ready. Maybe it could have been dealt with better, but this was an over-reaction by a club who have had their ego dented.

Birmingham fans now trash-talking Latics on Twitter and wanting us to go down, some egos have definitely been dented.

"We're just too big for you"

They seriously need to get over this, its really nothing!

If we had a friendly against Stockport and they said no because they had been offered Burnley or someone because they thought they might be better off financially (bigger crowd) I could understand it.

It's not like they are the home side and have commited anything financially, they can easily make other arrangements.

As for Latics fans moaning about it being unprofessional........... really? Get a grip!

Like when Fergie told Latics he couldn't raise a team on the eve of the Manchester Senior Cup Final at BP, for which programmes had been printed, hospitality laid on and catering provided. Instead of conceding the match, it had to be rearranged, with Latics bearing all the costs of cancelation.

I'm biased here but I would say that Brum have not exactly been professional in all of this.

• In business terms, the Oldham V City game makes sense and any club would have done the same.... including brum.
  • We cancelled in good time and Brum will be able to sort something out, we are hardly Premiership champions so I don't think it will be the end of the world for them.
  • The only problem they had, was not the cancellation, but the fact it was released prior to them sorting something out to save face i.e. they don't to look like they are the dumped party.
  • To look at it positively, surely it makes sense to let the Oldham/City/Brum fans know whats going on as soon as possible. The brum fans especially, as they might have ended up buying a train or coach ticket.
  • Brum see that the games announced and so decide to have a go by releasing a statement stating that Oldham have destroyed Brum's pre-season effectively, making no mention that they were happy for the game to be cancelled and just didn't want to be dumped.
  • Me thinks two wrongs don't make a right when you're (trying) to sit on your professional pedestal.
  • Talking about dents to preseason preperation. Having your owner arrested and having a transfer embargo placed upon your club would seem to be more significant, but hey ho.

"Corney said Blues manager Lee Clark gave the green light before the new plan was announced.

“The City game is a big one for us,” said Corney. “Within one hour of Paul Dickov ringing up to ask, Lee Clark said it was no problem. There was no conspiracy or anything. People get carried away.” "

Tonight's Chron.

Well put SC.