Boycott the City Game?

Urgh, you must be joking.

Friendlies are bollocks, no one should have to pay to watch a glorified training match.

like a league game if the fans dont pay, how do you cover any costs?

just make another loss?

this is a chance to break even or maybe even make a profit - friendly or not

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and for those who are bleating about having bought a season ticket simply because of the free friendly admission (when i'd guess many are away at varying intervals over summer and would therefore not sychronise their summer break against a possible free gig home friendly) there is always the Huddersfield friendly.

Has anybody, ever, bough a season ticket just because they get into one friendly for free with it?

Sheff it's about perceived rip off. Lets be perfectly clear here most Latics fans help the club out in many ways. ST, Playershare, club held events the list is endless. So why bash the very people who turn up week in week out cos they voice their dis-approval to yet another moving of the goalposts?. It's obvious from my posts am not over happy with this yet I'll be there. Like I am with my ST (even though I missed plenty with my work) playershare, programs i never read, events, shirts etc etc etc.

Latics have managed to get the Premier league champions to Boundary Park.

Birmngham game was cancelled before this was announced in agreement between the managers

Most of the premier league big boys don't play friendlies in England they tour abroad to earn big bucks.

United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City Liverpool tour America or Asia each year.

Every 2nd year is more difficult for the big boys tours because of the Euro's/World cup and they can't take all their big players who then need match practice

City have taken a skeleton squad on tour

The City players given extra time off after playing in the euros will not be joining the tour

Latics are charging £15 to watch the premier league champions.

Southampton charged £25 on Staurday to watch three 45 minute games with Arsenal & Anderlecht

Arsenal played virtually their reserve side

As was shown with the Liverpool game last season the game will entice a good number of casuals, floaters, "daytrippers" and "gloryhunters"

These gloryhunters and daytrippers won't be compalining about the prices - Well they wouldn't would they. They don't normally go

The game will put additional funds into the clubs bank account

The hospitality packages will sell out

Everyone attending will help with the governments deficit reduction campaign (£2.50 from every adult ticket goes to Mr Osbourne) :grin:

Season ticket holders can still watch a friendly free of charge as part of their season ticket deal. Just go to the Huddersfield game

If you don't do friendlies don't go to the game

If you think it will be City's kids don't go to the game

If your not happy with the decision or the set admission price don't go to the game

If you can't afford the admission price don't go to the game (no one would blame you)

If your pissed off with the club don't go to the game.

If your pissed off because you can't use your voucher don't go to the game

If your pissed off with Harry Bunn don't go to the game

If you think this is bad PR by the club don't go to the game

If you don't like the new shirt don't go to the game

If your pissed off that it's unreserved seating don't go to the game

HOWEVER

If you want to support your club, go to the game

If you think that £15 is reasonable go to the game

If you want to see the premier league champions probably featuring around 7 or 8 players that took part in the Euros go to the game

If you want to see superstars like Balotelli, Nasri and Spain schemer and winners medal holder David Silva go to the game

If you want to see the 1st game at Boundary Park since May, go to the game

If your not bothered if Harry Bunn plays or not or even which team he plays for, go to the game

If you just want to watch a game of football, go to the game.

Simples

like a league game if the fans dont pay, how do you cover any costs?

just make another loss?

this is a chance to break even or maybe even make a profit - friendly or not

Agree Palmer1 - the same people wanting things for free are the same morons who then wonder why the ground is in bits and we aren't able to sign players on £3k a week.

Everyone on here WANTS the club to do well i'm sure, but some have a darn funny way of showing it. We also all know that the club needs money.

Go if you want to/can afford to - don't go if you don't want to pay it. Personally, if i can go and can afford to go then i will. Given our circumstances and the potential decent players on offer, £15 is reasonable IMO.

Nothing more apart from go or don't go needs to be said.

But hey, lets all go OTT and lambast Corney for being a 'robbing bastard'..............

Sheff it's about perceived rip off. Lets be perfectly clear here most Latics fans help the club out in many ways. ST, Playershare, club held events the list is endless. So why bash the very people who turn up week in week out cos they voice their dis-approval to yet another moving of the goalposts?. It's obvious from my posts am not over happy with this yet I'll be there. Like I am with my ST (even though I missed plenty with my work) playershare, programs i never read, events, shirts etc etc etc.

i don't appear to have had a personal dig at you Lags - i know from this forum you are a diehard fan so no qualms there, moreso than myself in many ways i can admit.

I just don't understand this moving of goalposts - the Brum friendly would have been a tenner no doubt - but for the sake of £5 more and the chance to see some fairly skillfull players, in an atmosphere and for the club to earn some money which would potentially aid us in getting that 15-20 goals striker?? - Don't see the issue.

Latics never said the Brum friendly was the designated free ticket game for ST holders

Fans have got it in their heads that it is a rip-off - when you weigh it all up as regards why the club are doing it etc it really isn't.

If we were making a profit every year then yes a different ball game.

No problems with it when all said and done - as i have said not the cheapest friendly ever but there are reasons.

Edited by shefflatic

Latics have managed to get the Premier league champions to Boundary Park.

Birmngham game was cancelled before this was announced in agreement between the managers

Most of the premier league big boys don't play friendlies in England they tour abroad to earn big bucks.

United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City Liverpool tour America or Asia each year.

Every 2nd year is more difficult for the big boys tours because of the Euro's/World cup and they can't take all their big players who then need match practice

City have taken a skeleton squad on tour

The City players given extra time off after playing in the euros will not be joining the tour

Latics are charging £15 to watch the premier league champions.

Southampton charged £25 on Staurday to watch three 45 minute games with Arsenal & Anderlecht

Arsenal played virtually their reserve side

As was shown with the Liverpool game last season the game will entice a good number of casuals, floaters, "daytrippers" and "gloryhunters"

These gloryhunters and daytrippers won't be compalining about the prices - Well they wouldn't would they. They don't normally go

The game will put additional funds into the clubs bank account

The hospitality packages will sell out

Everyone attending will help with the governments deficit reduction campaign (£2.50 from every adult ticket goes to Mr Osbourne) :grin:

Season ticket holders can still watch a friendly free of charge as part of their season ticket deal. Just go to the Huddersfield game

If you don't do friendlies don't go to the game

If you think it will be City's kids don't go to the game

If your not happy with the decision or the set admission price don't go to the game

If you can't afford the admission price don't go to the game (no one would blame you)

If your pissed off with the club don't go to the game.

If your pissed off because you can't use your voucher don't go to the game

If your pissed off with Harry Bunn don't go to the game

If you think this is bad PR by the club don't go to the game

If you don't like the new shirt don't go to the game

If your pissed off that it's unreserved seating don't go to the game

HOWEVER

If you want to support your club, go to the game

If you think that £15 is reasonable go to the game

If you want to see the premier league champions probably featuring around 7 or 8 players that took part in the Euros go to the game

If you want to see superstars like Balotelli, Nasri and Spain schemer and winners medal holder David Silva go to the game

If you want to see the 1st game at Boundary Park since May, go to the game

If your not bothered if Harry Bunn plays or not or even which team he plays for, go to the game

If you just want to watch a game of football, go to the game.

Simples

Makes me chuckle how folks say dont go. Like it doesn't matter to the club. Wake the :censored: up we get 4000 punters if we're lucky. Those 4000 plough plenty of cash into this club.

i don't appear to have had a personal dig at you Lags - i know from this forum you are a diehard fan so no qualms there, moreso than myself in many ways i can admit.

I just don't understand this moving of goalposts - the Brum friendly would have been a tenner no doubt - but for the sake of £5 more and the chance to see some fairly skillfull players, in an atmosphere and for the club to earn some money which would potentially aid us in getting that 15-20 goals striker?? - Don't see the issue.

Latics never said the Brum friendly was the designated free ticket game for ST holders

Fans have got it in their heads that it is a rip-off - when you weigh it all up as regards why the club are doing it etc it really isn't.

If we were making a profit every year then yes a different ball game.

No problems with it when all said and done - as i have said not the cheapest friendly ever but there are reasons.

I didn't take it as a personal dig. ST holder still awaiting these promised perks not another slap in the face. Now don't take that as I want something from the club....I don't. I would still get my ST regardless. However if you keep promising me one then I'll expect one to be offered.

Edited by Lags

What if you want to support your club, but you don't think £15 is reasonable for a friendly?

Don't go can't believe so many are getting their knickers into a twist over this.

Makes me chuckle how folks say dont go. Like it doesn't matter to the club. Wake the :censored: up we get 4000 punters if we're lucky. Those 4000 plough plenty of cash into this club.

One game a friendly one at that, is not going to make a difference to our support over the course of this season. I'm not going to this one or the sheff weds one but I bought a season ticket without thinking and will attend every game that work permits which will be the vast majority and unless some spectacular change in personal circumstances I will do the same next season and the one after and so on.

But I want to support the club...

then go to the game

or save the £15 you don't value the city game to worth to cover your Sheff Weds cup admission and a pie (if you intend to go)

or donate £5 over 3 months to player share if you feel it worthy.

As has been said, this thread has been blown OTT - the reasons are there for the club charging £15 per adult - pay it or don't pay it is your choice and no one is less of a fan either way as everyone has their own views.

it is what it is and that's it really

then go to the game

or save the £15 you don't value the city game to worth to cover your Sheff Weds cup admission and a pie (if you intend to go)

or donate £5 over 3 months to player share if you feel it worthy.

As has been said, this thread has been blown OTT - the reasons are there for the club charging £15 per adult - pay it or don't pay it is your choice and no one is less of a fan either way as everyone has their own views.

it is what it is and that's it really

Then go, or don't go? Ok, thanks. I think I'll do just that.

Don't go can't believe so many are getting their knickers into a twist over this.

One game a friendly one at that, is not going to make a difference to our support over the course of this season. I'm not going to this one or the sheff weds one but I bought a season ticket without thinking and will attend every game that work permits which will be the vast majority and unless some spectacular change in personal circumstances I will do the same next season and the one after and so on.

Yes and so will I. However in just over 4 seasons 2500 havem't. One game at a time ....one game at a time.

Some people on here would be happy for the squad, management and directors to gangbang their misses if it was likely to help with morale. So it's hard to take their opinions on board. If the club didn't do things like this then maybe the people who haven't renewed this year may have done so. The reason football fans/STH's get treated like :censored: by the clubs is because fans let them. Nothing on my voucher says I'm not allowed to pick which friendly I want.

Agree Palmer1 - the same people wanting things for free are the same morons who then wonder why the ground is in bits and we aren't able to sign players on £3k a week.

These "morons" are all season ticket holders.

Everyone on here WANTS the club to do well i'm sure, but some have a darn funny way of showing it. We also all know that the club needs money.

So they can just change things so that people pay more than expected / promised?

Go if you want to/can afford to - don't go if you don't want to pay it. Personally, if i can go and can afford to go then i will. Given our circumstances and the potential decent players on offer, £15 is reasonable IMO.

The deal I thought I had been offered - free admission 'cos I bought a season ticket was reasonable imho

Nothing more apart from go or don't go needs to be said.

Or perhaps the club could keep it's promises to season ticket holders?

But hey, lets all go OTT and lambast Corney for being a 'robbing bastard'..............

Or instead you could go OTT and call season ticket holders morons because they have a different view to yours?

Meanwhile, if the club decided to change other terms of the season ticket, would you go along with that?

When I renewed my Season Ticket it was with the expectation that I would get 23 league games, 1 friendly (of my choice) and friend for £5, some discount vouchers etc.

When the brum game was on, that was the one I intended to go to (I can't get to the Hudds game), so I expected to be able to go to the alternative game that has been arranged. I would have accepted some degree of extra payment, to cover plod, but the plod cost is not £15 per person, so that is a dishonest claim by the club, plain and simple.

The fact that the club makes a loss does not enable it to promise one thing and then change it at will.

Which other games will have their admission price changed to cover "police costs"?

Edited by real

Certainly. OK, let's stick it to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of the United Arab Emirates, and the older brother of Sheikh Mansour, Manchester City's nominal owner, by not going to the City game. I bet he's :censored:ting his dishdash, the national dress of Emiratis, who only wear pants when they are in Europe for drinking and whoremongering, as the financial implications of Oldham snubbing City would be crippling to him given his poverty. The latter part is irony, as he is actually very rich indeed.

You remind me of the lad who aimed for bullseye and hit the fireplace. My point isn't about City, it's about how I feel about Corney berating the financial state of the game and its effects on Oldham Athletic.

The way I see it is this: you can't possibly criticise the negatives of, say, Manchester City and then lap up the benefits they bring when you play them. If it was a Cup match I wouldn't have an issue.

It's the fact we've sought out City, we'll take the 8,000er, then in a month we'll be calling them every name under the sun.

Pricewise - we draw Wigan in the FA Cup. Standard price. We beat Latics then draw City. The price is upped by 33% because, well, it's City with their players and supporters. Payday.

I won't question those who go, but those who don't want to go because they think it's a bit of a shady do I fully understand and support.

And all these retorts of "oh I'm being loyal and supporting my club" bollocks. Hopping down to watch City at £15 isn't bloody loyalty. Loyalty is when 69 fans travel to Hartlepool on a Tuesday night when your team are losing and playing woefully. Loyalty is when fans dig in when your club is flat on its arse.

The simple fact is people are going - well the extra 4,000 because they may see Balotelli make a prick of himself. £15 is of course reasonable... If it wasn't a friendly.

You remind me of the lad who aimed for bullseye and hit the fireplace. My point isn't about City, it's about how I feel about Corney berating the financial state of the game and its effects on Oldham Athletic.

The way I see it is this: you can't possibly criticise the negatives of, say, Manchester City and then lap up the benefits they bring when you play them. If it was a Cup match I wouldn't have an issue.

But then surely we wouldn't want to have got any of the big Premiership clubs - indeed we shouldn't be happy at playing Huddersfield, who are every bit as much big spenders as City ofr the division they just escaped from. Personally I hate City because they are City, not for their newfound wealth.

Of course, and I do agree completely. There's without doubt two sides to the argument: get on a moral crusade or go along.

I just feel uncomfortable riding the crest. Sadly, our club is more prone in the short-term to collapse should we stay away. But something will have to give. I'm not going to be made to pay excess just to support the flawed business structure of the sport.

Five quid is five quid. Not much in some respects, but for the circumstances I just thing SC is taking advantage. Ideal world: charge the City lot £20 and us £10. Isn't gonna happen because City will boycott.

There again - those valueless hyporcrites know all about a boycott on a count of pricing aka Wigan. Now look.

I've spent enought times sat in Boundary Park surrounded by City fans.. Not gonna pay 15 quid for the experience, 10 minutess of Mario Balotelli or not..

The season ticket things a bit sneaky but it's made an easy decision for me.

Just make it all City and be done with it, field our youth team.