Boycott the City Game?

Citys euro 2012 players wer given 3 weeks off from the beginning of July.

It wouldnt suprise me if they join up with the 1st team squad on tour before our friendly.

Could potentially mean £15 to watch our 1st team v citys kids (and not even the good ones, as they are on tour) and there aint gonna be 4k city fans rushing to pay that much to watch the kids team!

This has been mentioned by someone before - there seems to be confusion over who is going on this tour and who isn't, but yeah...

Oldham Athletic Vs City's elite development squad.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GMP's firearms unit are going to be busy that day as OAFC are holding a gun to everyone's head forcing them to go to a friendly. :rolleyes:

That's hardly the point, is it? The point is that people who may have wanted to go to the game beforehand are now being put off by the ridiculous price.

Nice condescending tone though.

My inital reaction was ':censored: that, 15 quid for a friendly, im not going' and was echoed by a good number of Latics supporting work mates. However i've had a little time to now digest the news. Im just going to weigh it up for what it is nearer the time. If the City Euro 2012 players that are mentioned looked nailed on to be involved then i'll go. If it's just a City team full of kids i'll not go and some gullible City fool/fan can have my seat.

Although it smacks of money grabbing (and as frustrating as it is we have to do so) i can't blame the club as it needs all the money it can get. Blame the way football is currently driven by money if you want somehting to whinge about.

That makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to make clever wise cracks put em in context, won't you?

If fans are happy to spend more on the basis that more opposition fans are likely to attend - particularly from certain clubs that we moan about then pander to them - all in the name of loyalty good on you.

Certainly. OK, let's stick it to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of the United Arab Emirates, and the older brother of Sheikh Mansour, Manchester City's nominal owner, by not going to the City game. I bet he's :censored:ting his dishdash, the national dress of Emiratis, who only wear pants when they are in Europe for drinking and whoremongering, as the financial implications of Oldham snubbing City would be crippling to him given his poverty. The latter part is irony, as he is actually very rich indeed.

I'll accept what you're saying, Lags, but would say this. We know City made the offer after we'd agreed to play Birmingham; it's the timing (or lack of) of the cancellation. Either Latics or Brum are being economical with the truth. Do we know for sure which one it is?

I'm not a ST holder, so I have no first hand knowledge of the free entry into a game you would normally pay for. Does it state which game you can and can't use it at? If not, the club have the right to charge for the City game and not charge for another, such as Udders or the Wendies. Or even a 3rd round tie against <insert name of big club here>. It's economics.

Don't think that I don't sympathise. I do. But it's a business and balancing the numbers ain't easy. You'll please some and annoy some. I just happen to believe that this is one we should go along with. Opinions and all that.

It as always been in the past you choose which home friendly you used your voucher for. I don't recall ever a game being stipulated you couldn't use it. Like I said elsewhere the problem you've got here is once a person set's a president that a match is not worth their disposable income, then it's set for ever. That first match you choose to miss is always the hardest one. there after it becomes less so. The dwidling crowds over the past few seasons should tell the club so.

My inital reaction was ':censored: that, 15 quid for a friendly, im not going' and was echoed by a good number of Latics supporting work mates. However i've had a little time to now digest the news. Im just going to weigh it up for what it is nearer the time. If the City Euro 2012 players that are mentioned looked nailed on to be involved then i'll go. If it's just a City team full of kids i'll not go and some gullible City fool/fan can have my seat.

Although it smacks of money grabbing (and as frustrating as it is we have to do so) i can't blame the club as it needs all the money it can get. Blame the way football is currently driven by money if you want somehting to whinge about.

that's pretty much where I am.

I don't think it's "money grabbing" just another really bad "typical Latics" business decision -

there was no need to piss off (some) season ticket holders by not letting them use the voucher,

an opportunity to put on a good show & get more in for the Wednesday game and first league game will now possibly be missed

as will an opportunity to advertise some extra £10 season tickets to local City supporting kids

yes it's only a fiver difference but it's turned a no brainer into something most will have a think about

all for what may or may not result in a few grand extra into the coffers

At the end of the day, for every latics fan that doesnt go, there place will no doubt get filled by a Citeh fan, simple as that, so it'll be £15 in the coffers either way. Same thing cant be said for the Birmingham game, £10, if wouldnt pay that, seats would go empty, id rather take my chances with the MCFC game.

I expect the Euro players to be involved in some capacity, no doubt 30/45 min cameos, but id still rather see Mario Balotelli & David Silva make a cameo appearence than Darren Ambrose & Hayden Mullins play for 90 mins.

The club will be the winners out of this either way, ideally with latics fans going down to watch, if not so be it.

And if you boycott the season over this, then all you're going to do is harm the club, so in a few years you'll be able to boycott supporting nobody as you wont have a club to boycott.

Good work.

Bunn and Scapuzzi are on the tour. City are playing Arsenal in Beijing a few days before. If Mario et al are playing in that, which I fully expect them to be, then I'm not going. If they aren't then I'd expect them to play (won't have many friendlies before the community shield). I'd happily pay £20 to watch Mario Balotelli and Silva. I'm spending more than that to watch Neymar in the Olympics (the original reason behind that is more simplistic than that but I've not cancelled, which I could have done).

Im going to wait until after the Beijing game before I decide to go, I can watch Citeh kids for a lot less than £15. It won't be £15 to watch out reserves v Citeh's kids in the cup thing and that can be a closer game.

Basically I fully expect that the people paying City to play in Beijing and KL on this tour, (as opposed to anywhere else in the world) will be worth enough money to have the business brains to insist that Mario, Silva, Nasri and the English players play some part and have paid Citeh accordingly.

Is it going to cost £15 per head for policing?

If that's the case, the club will not make anything from the game. If it's not the case, the club are clearly monopolising on Season Ticket holders by reneging on the "free friendly" ticket.

they could have charged ST holders the equivalent of the policing cost; say £5 with the voucher.

I've never held much truck with ST holders who complain about mid-season cheap offers (e.g the 5 games for £15), but this is a clear "breach of contract" imho.

Latics v Brum :- 2500 attendance of which 1500 on STs. Revenue £10 x 1000 = £10,000

Latics v Citeh @ £15, well as we had crap attendances at under £15 for league games, and we are supposed to be trying to get Latics fans back to BP, i can't see many latics fans turning up; 4000 x £15? Most of them being citeh fans.

@ £10; or £5 with a voucher you'd see 2500 STs at £5; and at least 5000 full price. Total £60,000+

Is it going to cost £15 per head for policing?

If that's the case, the club will not make anything from the game. If it's not the case, the club are clearly monopolising on Season Ticket holders by reneging on the "free friendly" ticket.

they could have charged ST holders the equivalent of the policing cost; say £5 with the voucher.

I've never held much truck with ST holders who complain about mid-season cheap offers (e.g the 5 games for £15), but this is a clear "breach of contract" imho.

Latics v Brum :- 2500 attendance of which 1500 on STs. Revenue £10 x 1000 = £10,000

Latics v Citeh @ £15, well as we had crap attendances at under £15 for league games, and we are supposed to be trying to get Latics fans back to BP, i can't see many latics fans turning up; 4000 x £15? Most of them being citeh fans.

@ £10; or £5 with a voucher you'd see 2500 STs at £5; and at least 5000 full price. Total £60,000+

im guessing there is a clause or statement somewhere thats says something like....'the club has the right to remove this offer as/when it sees fits'

Edited by MaskedOwl

blame the need for policing as the reason for £15 price - i'd bet latics would love to charge a tenner a head but need to factor in various things as well as the obvious profit potential.

'why don't we play city in a friendly? we never get any decent friendlies' - as soon as we do 'booo i'm not watching us play city reserves sod that'

it will likely be a mixture of the Euro lot and kids - latics would have been better off with the brum game than play their kids - thats the whole reason for the swift change as we've got wind that they'll be involved = crowd puller WELL DONE LATICS!

Damned if they do, damned if they don't - go if you want to go or don't go if you're not willing to pay the £15 or aren't willing to pay/realise that the club needs all it can get - as sad as it is it is where we're at whether you like it or not.

Oh and for those who are bleating about having bought a season ticket simply because of the free friendly admission (when i'd guess many are away at varying intervals over summer and would therefore not sychronise their summer break against a possible free gig home friendly) there is always the Huddersfield friendly.

If the club were to say that ST holders with a free friendly voucher could submit it for the cup game vs Sheff Weds and be entitled to half price admission on the night the moaners would soon shut up!.

And YES i am a season ticket holder.

All the moaning would again also be forgotten if 5k adults + 3k kids = £90,000 allowed us to get a decent striker in.

We are a club in need - admittedly not the cheapest friendly ever, but its a chance to earn money and if we nick a win then more will come along for the wednesday cup game.

Also it will be a friendly with a bit of atmosphere rather than sitting in a morgue like most weekends in the season!

Well done Latics, not a problem

Edited by shefflatic

Balotelli and Silva played in the Euro 2012 final, so I'm guessing their pre season will start pretty late, so I reckon there is a slight chance they will play.

For the England and France lads, their Euros finished a week earlier, so I would expect their pre season would start a week earlier. They will probably play in China and Malaysia (so not at BP).

Plenty of the City reserves will be on the tour, so we will be left with City's reserve reserves, and maybe the odd first teamer.

How much will it cost to watch when we play City reserves in the Manchester Senior Cup? Might as well just go to that.

I'd have definitley gone if I could use my free ST ticket, because I can't make the Huddersfield game (thankfully). But now that it will cost me £15 to watch a half paced game against the reserves of some club I can't stand, I don't think I'll bother. Unless of course, we are guaranteed to see some damn good players (and I mean David Silva.)

Something wrong though when a friendly costs more than a competitive game.