if you were PD

if you was paul dickov what formation and what starting 11 would you play against sheffield wednesday? personaly id play

4-3-3

---------------cisak---------------

bryne------tark------movto------ground

---machamaba---furman---wes

---croft---taylor---simpson

id like to play simpson up top but with no LW who else could go there ?

Has Mellor played much pre-season?

very little. Has to be a flaw of dickovs for

Me. Winchester, Hughes, mellor could all be needed sooner than we think and they have had no game time. Hopefully they will get some in any behind closed doors games.

having a chat about tarky before, if he carries on the way he is doing there's no reason he can't follow a similar path as Craig Dawson. Obviously an olympic quarter final might be asking too much of takry but i'd say give him a full season there's goals in him and a move to a higher club isnt beyond him. Important season.

as for the topic, i'd go:

cisak

byrne

tarky

m'voto

grounds

croft

furman

wes

comoros/good LW we sign

simpson

taylor/good striker we sign

same as city but with taylor in for miguel. we looked solid and hard to beat.

He wasn't bad today - he looks stronger and better than previous seasons.

Give him the chance!

Not for me to do that. I'll support him though.

There was another "switch off" moment before half time today. If he can get that out of his game he could go on to be special. If he can't, he'll cost us 30 goals this season.

Tarky as first choice centre back scares me.

hes been very good pre-season and i think he offers more than other center backs weve had in the past can pick out a good long pass and never looks flat footed always looks to be moving for a center back i like the look of him haha but thats just my opinion

hes been very good pre-season and i think he offers more than other center backs weve had in the past can pick out a good long pass and never looks flat footed always looks to be moving for a center back i like the look of him haha but thats just my opinion

All of which is spot on.

But he switched off for City's goal the other night. He regularly switches off. Despite his obvious strengths, his one flaw, if unchecked, is a massive weakness for a centre half. Full back or midfielder can get away with it. Less so centre half.

I hope he fixes it. Because he's a great prospect.

All of which is spot on.

But he switched off for City's goal the other night. He regularly switches off. Despite his obvious strengths, his one flaw, if unchecked, is a massive weakness for a centre half. Full back or midfielder can get away with it. Less so centre half.

I hope he fixes it. Because he's a great prospect.

yes he dose switch of at times but for such a young center back i think he's class!! He can only get better in my opinion hopefully he will progress as he becomes more experience

You don't get experience sat on the bench, he seemed to gain a lot last season, just keep playing him and he will keep learning, if it costs us a few goals a long the way then so be it!

Byrne on the other hand, I am a little more nervous about! For me, so far he has looked far too slow at RB and I can see teams taking advantage of that, he also offers us nothing in attack. I thought he was coming in as a CB with Tarky moving in to cover, sadly I can see Byrne being one of those players who PD won't drop no matter how bad he plays, which is a shame as it sounds like Brown showed a lot of promise in pre-season and his pace could frighten teams!

I would have liked to have seen Hughes/Mellor given more time on the left over pre-season, unless we are bringing a left sided player in, we are just one injury away from having to throw one of the two in at the deep end, which seemed to cost us last season!

With the way pre-season has gone I'm happy to see how the starting XI from today develops as a unit (Miguel instead of Taylor possibly). Granted we won't be as flamboyant out wide with players of the ilk of Byrne, Grounds and M'Changama compared to the likes of Lee, Morais, Taylor and KMB but that hardly produced much last season. In Dickov's first season playing Jarrett at CB and Jones and Alessandra on the flanks shouldn't have worked by conventional logic but they fitted in well with the rest at the time.

I'm becoming more convinced match by match that Tarky will be a great asset for us this year, whether or not he performs to his maximum depends on how his partnership with Mvoto develops. I wouldn't want to drop either of them but they haven't looked that comfortable together when I'm seen them previously in the last 2 seasons. Hopefully playing time will strengthen their partnership.

With the way pre-season has gone I'm happy to see how the starting XI from today develops as a unit (Miguel instead of Taylor possibly). Granted we won't be as flamboyant out wide with players of the ilk of Byrne, Grounds and M'Changama compared to the likes of Lee, Morais, Taylor and KMB but that hardly produced much last season. In Dickov's first season playing Jarrett at CB and Jones and Alessandra on the flanks shouldn't have worked by conventional logic but they fitted in well with the rest at the time.

I'm becoming more convinced match by match that Tarky will be a great asset for us this year, whether or not he performs to his maximum depends on how his partnership with Mvoto develops. I wouldn't want to drop either of them but they haven't looked that comfortable together when I'm seen them previously in the last 2 seasons. Hopefully playing time will strengthen their partnership.

Good post this.

The Huddersfield game was the only game i've been able to get to this pre-season and you guys may disagree with me but I thought we looked strong today in parts.

Croft looks pretty quick and looks like he has a few silky skills. Tarky & M'voto look like they are forming a good partnership. Tarky obviously needs to strengthen elements of his game but he is a great asset for us and I think he will develop massively this season if kept as first choice CB along with M'voto. Grounds looks like a decent left back. M'Changama looks very composed on the ball and has brilliant feet but I'm not sure if him being on the left will work out. Simpson was quiet today but still looks pretty good and Daniel Taylor looks like he could be a good player for us but just needs to settle in.

As i've said the Udders game was the only game i've been to so far and it was good to see a few of the new players. The trialists were alright, didnt really see enough of them to make a proper analysis though.

Looking forward to the season and what it brings and hopefully we don't have too many injuries throughout as the depth of the squad is not that great.

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

if you was paul dickov what formation and what starting 11 would you play against sheffield wednesday? personaly id play

4-3-3

---------------cisak---------------

bryne------tark------movto------ground

---machamaba---furman---wes

---croft---taylor---simpson

id like to play simpson up top but with no LW who else could go there ?

Unless we bring a few more players in i expect that to be his starting XI. Tarky and Movto have both looked solid pre season and very comfortable.

I think it's crucial that we sign somebody before the season starts , I haven't seen much to suggest Daniel taylor will be good enough to lead the line yet and mchangama is no left winger. I don't believe that the Leon Clarke deal is completely off as he is way down the pecking order at Charlton and they will want his wage of their books , as for left winger I'm unsure , Danny jones has been mentioned but he as a million times better at lb than lw ,I just hope when corney says we're after loanees he means out of favour players rather than premier league youngsters.

Byrne good player but not answer at right back.

M'Changama good player but not answer on left wing.

Would have been worried if seemed a month ago we'd be going into season with Taylor and Tarky as first choice and have seen nothing since to alleviate that concern.

I think however PD will stick with current back line but will look to bring in a winger and striker.

Edited by OAFCKeepTheFaith

Seems to me to be crying out for 5-3-1-1 with the players we have at the minute. Granted it would never happen but it seems it would make sense.

Byrne Tarky Mvoto

Croft. Grounds as wingbacks

Furman Wes Machangama

Simpson

Taylor

Could be very solid without many goals though....... Very familiar!

Edited by deckyd

Byrne good player but not answer at right back.

M'Changama good player but not answer on left wing.

Would have been worried if seemed a month ago we'd be going into season with Taylor and Tarky as first choice and have seen nothing since to alleviate that concern.

I think however PD will stick with current back line but will look to bring in a winger and striker.

Same as last season when square pegs in round holes was a constant problem.

Edited by BP1960

Connor Borown was a revelation at RB, him and Croft hit it off yet Byrne comes in and plays RB, pissing about for the sake of it imo. Get Byrne alongside M'Voto with Tarky as back up.

As for the striker situation, what chance do Smith and Taylor have when they're barely getting 45 minutes each in favour of triallists who then are well out of our reach? Smith has barely played in the last few friendlies and I can see him at least going out on loan.

Heard disturbing news this morning (from albeit an unreliable source) that Hughes is actually staying locally and a deal could be back on. I've also heard the clarke deal isn't dead but depends on Charlton's targets coming off. If that happens they will lower their demands, as Clarke is happy with the deal we have offered. At present Charlton want rid, we want a loan deal.