Away regulars - MK Dons, who's going? If not, why not?

MK Dons - who's going. If not, why not?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. MK Dons - who's going?

• I would but, I'll never give my money to them
    • I'm not because I'm not happy with Latics/Dickov etc...
    • I'm not for non-football reasons
    • I hate everything they represent but, I'll be there, reluctantly
    • I'll be there, no problem with MK Dons
    • I'm still undecided

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time blue

Who did your dad support?

My dad supported Oldham as I did religiouly as a season ticket holder between 62 and 70.

I still support Oldham when I visit the family.

First match in the early 60's stood on the Rochdale Road End v Luton, listening to endless abuse of Baynham (?) in the Luton goal. Last match with my family was the Kettle debacle v Charlton last season.

Leesover

I think you get the flavour.

Also don't try to be matey with me in the pub before the game at our place. It's happened before, I won't be nasty or aggressive to you, especially as you often have groups of children who you are polluting, but I won't acknowledge you as if you have any right to be there in the same way as I would any supporter of a real club.

:censored: off.

I am sorry you feel that way.

However I moved away from Oldham started a family. My boys played football in the local youth leagues, on a regular basis coaches from the Dons academy would come and take an evening training sessions. The boys would go to the meet the players evening where the players would drink soft drinks, pose and chat. They wanted to go and watch football so I can take them to watch good football at a super ground built with the aid and support of the local council. They became season ticket holders, they are not interested in football politics, they are football supporters. I can't think of better criteria for a football team to be a real family club.

I enjoy live football, I go the Dons, however I am a football supporter, the first result I look for is Oldham.

I am sorry you feel as though you can't come and visit us, I can honestly say I am not concerned about this weekends result, lets hope for a super game and may the best team win.

That story starts so positvely and ends like a Mike Leigh film. You put across your reasons well but for me, no justification. Had it have been Oldham who'd been 'relocated', given your memories as a young man, would you have been as accomodating?

MK had a local team before anyway. Not a personal attack but I just don't get it.

Same.. I'll be wearing a cowboy hat and carrying a pink carnation.

I'll be wearing jeans and a t-shirt and trying to convince my son that just because there's a shop on the train it doesn't mean he has to spend lots of money in it buying stuff he doesn't need!

MK Dons will always be a team I would like not to do well, but I don't get the nastiness if i'm honest. On one hand we have people going on about the poor Wimbledon fans but have no sympathy for the Pompey fans.

I, for one, have every sympathy with Pompey fans, and not just because my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece, nephew and late father-in-law were all born within a goal kick of Fratton Park. It's one thing for fans to suffer because of mismanagement of club finances, but quite another for a club to stick two fingers up at loyal supporters and say, "Stuff you, we're off to form a new club and Wimbledon is now officially dead. Oh, by the way, if you want to stay with us, we'll be about 60 miles up the M1. Tough titty."

If Latics were to suddenly announce that they'd had enough at BP and were moving lock, stock and barrel to ,say, Kendal (that's about 60 miles away) and re-name us Lake District Latics, how would you feel then? Cheated? Undervalued? Crapped upon from a dizzy height? Or, oh well, never mind? I doubt it would be the latter.

Never again, thank God, will a club be able to do "a Dongs". The town, the supporters, nobody, has done anything to warrant a club being born out of the ashes of another that had no connection. And they had the nerve to include Wimbledon's history in their earlier programmes.

Sorry, and I'll stand to be shot down for this, but I hate everything they stand for. And they sooner they plummet into obscurity, the better I will feel. On the other hand, if AFC Wimbledon can continue to progress, I stand and applaud them. They are a true grass roots football club.

That is positively my last word on the subject because, quite honestly, this kind of feeling is out of character for me. The last word is, of course, unless I can celebrate the Dongs demise.

Long Time Blue

That story starts so positvely and ends like a Mike Leigh film. You put across your reasons well but for me, no justification. Had it have been Oldham who'd been 'relocated', given your memories as a young man, would you have been as accomodating?

MK had a local team before anyway. Not a personal attack but I just don't get it.

A Mike Leigh film, can i have Alison Steadman as the missus please.

I will try and answer your question briefly, if the Latics can't survive in Oldham or the Dons can't survive in MK, and it is within the FA rules, why should it worry me that the club is relocated. I would have lost the club I support and as previously stated would not begrudge other people the chance of watching league football.

To quote yourself - I just dont get it.

MK did have a local team, I did and still do watch Newport Pagnell Town which is within walking distance

Anyway lets agree to disagree, and hope the latics have a good season.

I believe you are coming down for the match - have a good day.

MK Dons will always be a team I would like not to do well, but I don't get the nastiness if i'm honest. On one hand we have people going on about the poor Wimbledon fans but have no sympathy for the Pompey fans.

"No sympathy for pompey fans"No I haven't. In fact I hope the go bust. Wanting to pay back 2p in the pound? Er - Ok.

Sympathy? Why should anyone be sympathetic?! They have overspent ion the premier league, cheated their way through not paying their bills, to end up in the same place as us, be in administration and stay on nil points. Able to bring in Izale McLeod and Brian Howard. Absolutely disgraceful. They can do one.

I'm going to Mk tomorrow, but I wont be giving Porthsmouth a penny of my money. I sincerly hope they go bust.

Edited by pukka

What if it was last game of the season and we had to win to go up?

I wouldn't go, and would probably resent them even more for it.

They shouldn't exist. They stole a football club and a football league place. They don't deserve their place in the football pyramid as they stole it from Wimbledon. That Wimbledon are now back in the football league after reforming is irrelevant, as they will always have that place in the pyramid that they have stolen. If the people of Milton Keynes so desperately wanted a football club, they should have got behind their non league club and supported them in the hope that one day they will make it (you know, like all those other non league clubs that get into the league).

As far as I am concerned, our league campaign starts on Tuesday, and as long as they exist I will never go there.

Always said I'd never give them :censored:ers my hard earned cash but I'm going cheering the boys on tomorrow because I want to watch my football team play their first game of the season.

The £20 ticket and 3 hour drive will be worth it when I can see the players' appreciation that we've turned up for them.

Nevermind the young kids - they're too young to understand the social affects of supporting a football club. My heart still goes out to all those veteran football fans in Wimbledon.

To support a club - your local club - and have all those memories - good, bad, happy, sad - and have a group of businessmen with absolutely no connection with the town, club or people and be allowed to move it, change it, and invent a new club is unforgiveable.

During the days when football clubs were the working class's one place away from the elite - well, I think it is a true disgrace, a criminal act that is not written in law.

I'd feel for those who support Milton Keynes Dons, those who have that true feeling of love for their club, but it should never have been allowed for this club to be adored. It should have been your own.

It actually infuriates talking about the whole affair. Truly disgusting.

I went down when I was much younger. Thankfully I developed the opinions and beliefs I now possess.

Long Time Blue

A Mike Leigh film, can i have Alison Steadman as the missus please.

I will try and answer your question briefly, if the Latics can't survive in Oldham or the Dons can't survive in MK, and it is within the FA rules, why should it worry me that the club is relocated. I would have lost the club I support and as previously stated would not begrudge other people the chance of watching league football.

To quote yourself - I just dont get it.

MK did have a local team, I did and still do watch Newport Pagnell Town which is within walking distance

Anyway lets agree to disagree, and hope the latics have a good season.

I believe you are coming down for the match - have a good day.

You'll get Brenda Blethyn at best, the price you pay.

You seem like a gent so enjoy the game as well, sincerely hope you and your lads leave disappointed however.

Carry on supporting Newport Pagnell, take your kids to watch Oldham on Southern aways (enough of them) and a couple of home games a year, and just do away with the MK bit. There's still time to save your soul.

I'll never accept the argument (dunno if it's been mentioned on this thread but it has before) that 'Wimbledon were going to go bust so we might as well have taken their place anyway'. No. If the Dons were going to go bust they should have been allowed to do so on their own terms (let their fans do what they have done and rebuild their club) and let the place they vacated naturally go to a club from the league below and so on, all the way down the leagues to the bottom of the pyramid.

If the town wanted a football club so badly you should have supported that local side you have mentioned and get everyone interested to support them up through the leagues.

Anyone would think Pete Winkleman had committed mass genocide. Milton Keynes has a well-established football club and Wimbledon are back the professional leagues. Time to live and let live.

Don't talk like a prat, Zorro. Really - since I started posting back on here I've noticed you like to take odd positions on a lot of football matters. I think you like to stoke the fire a bit and it's boring.

It took Wimbledon a long time - fans no doubt died in the time it took the re-branded club to return to the Football League. It took fans' money, it took up time and energy and all because a few men wanted to make money.

Don't talk like a prat, Zorro. Really - since I started posting back on here I've noticed you like to take odd positions on a lot of football matters. I think you like to stoke the fire a bit and it's boring.

It took Wimbledon a long time - fans no doubt died in the time it took the re-branded club to return to the Football League. It took fans' money, it took up time and energy and all because a few men wanted to make money.

I'll talk how I like, thanks. I'm not really a Devil's Advocate kinda guy, either. I'm genuinely yet to hear a convincing reason why it's morally reprehensible to consider MK Dons 'just another club'.

Agreed, getting rid of that would be a start.. Sure it will happen. Have they given the 88 FA Cupa back?

Yes, the trophies are on public display at Morden Library in Merton, alongside other Wimbledon FC club memorabilia.

The Wimbledon Guardian newspaper has been running a campaign, backed by former Wimbledon FC players, called "Drop the Dons", which aims to persuade the owners of Milton Keynes Dons to remove "Dons" from the club's name. The campaign is also backed by both Merton MPs and all 60 of the borough's councillors.