The happy clapper thread

We didn't dominate last night, Walsall set out a defensive formation. So naturally we saw more of the ball in their half but we did nothing with it and there is no excuse for throwing away a 1-0 lead in the position we were in.

Anyways to put a positive spin on it I've not seen enough to suggest we'll go down. We're not the only club with a small squad and I believe we can do much better than what we did last night.

I'm generally one of life's optimists and look to take some sort of positive from negative situations; the only positive i have taken from the first two games is M'Voto looks a more disciplined and balanced centre half. The starting eleven looks great on paper but nothing has excited me so far, early days i know and a long way to go but people's negativity is so far understandable.

PD's no rookie anymore and he needs to ensure his side are mentally and tactically prepared and aware each game, he also needs to ensure he reads the game and has the forsight and mental resolve to change things as he sees them develop. I'm not sure i've seen any evidence of a tactical repositioning of the team, (more like for like or shove the big defender up front), in his time here.

As i said, early days but my only issue is that i'm struggling at finding any positives to feed off, hope Saturday changes all that.

Onwards and onwards!

This 'Happy Clappy' thread does NOT reach my expectations.

In fact, just to wind some of you up and have you spluttering your corned beef butties over your keyboards, I'll do this...

* Dickov's post match comments of "They are at this level for a reason & the 2nd half showed it." at least shows that PD is aware that the performance was sub-standard and he's not looking to accept it. Of course, how could he not. Some have suggested that he's blind to it.

* The defence didn't seem too bad last night. I thought Tarky did well and M'Voto was very impressive. There seems to be a degree more solidity about the full backs as well. It was only Walsall but any progress for the team would need to be built on a solid back line.

* M'Changama stood out for me. Makes himself available for a pass and seeks to do something with it. Effort can't be faulted and, in time, I think he'll be a gem.

* Late into our preparations we have needed to integrate Slew & Montano. In particular, the latter will need to settle and get into the swing of things with his new teammates and new environment. I don't know for sure and he may be a master of his own PR but he seems to have a good attitude and, with the responsibility that a young family brings, will most likely have the focus to improve and showcase his talents that others in the past have only done in fits and starts. Once he's settled & fully fit then we can have a proper look at him.

* We can do better. As poor as some aspects were, we know that some players are able to do better and once things click with a decent performance or two, we'll all be back doing what we do best. Moaning about the pies.

* Ha.

Who do we think we'll get in if we do sack Dickov? It'll be one of:

a) Someone who has experience, but had previously failed at this level or higher

B) A new manager (ex-pro?) with no experience

c) Someone who has enjoyed success at a level below, but has no experience of this level

There's no guarantee at all that anything will improve. Chopping and changing manager hasn't done us much good over the past 10-15 years, no reason why it'll be the magic solution now.

We can see that Dickov has got a pretty good eye for a player, and is able to attract players to the club. He's (clearly) still learning his trade in terms of getting the players to play how he wants on the pitch, so imo should be given plenty of time to learn and develop. And I'm talking another 3 or 4 years before his position is assessed, not 3 or 4 games!

IMO if after 10 games we are in the bottom 4 not scoring goals and making mistakes at the back then fair enough, get into the manager and the team and some of these "moans and groans" will be totally justified.

after 2 games though.....one against a promotion fave and against a team that are very similar to ourselves I think its a bit early for the fat lady to singing

i dont consider myself a "happy clapper" or a "moaner", i like to keep a level head and try to call it down the middle which I dont think you can after 2 games.

we have no money to buy big and thats not going to happen this season so whats the answer for everyone, another new manager? thats not been the answer previously

give it 10 games and look at it then

How many points do you realistically expect from the 10 games ?

Tot up your expected points from the next 8 fixtures and add the 1 point gained already from 2 matches.

Stevenage (home)....................

Portsmouth (away)...................

Doncaster (away)....................

Notts County (home)................

Scunthorpe (home)..................

Brentford (away)......................

Coventry (home).....................

Crewe (away).........................

Edited by BP1960

Tot up your expected points from the next 8 fixtures and add the 1 point gained already from 2 matches.

Out of them 4.. I honestly think 0 or maybe 1 if we are lucky.

I dont expect anything as I dont know enough about the oppo yet....does anyone? anyone seen them play?

after 10 games you can see where we are and where the oppo are, the league will start to take shape and we can see who we should worry about and who we should be beating

this could possibly be the most open league 1 ever so, 1 loss and 1 draw is not the end of the world

maybe a few on here should limit their expectations, a draw may not be the worse thing in the grand scheme of things

Out of them 4.. I honestly think 0 or maybe 1 if we are lucky.

Now this is just negative and shows what crap people have been talking.

How many points did you expect from Sheff Utd away and MK Dons at home last season?

Edited by lancy lad

Now this is just negative and shows what crap people have been talking.

How many points did you expect from Sheff Utd away and MK Dons at home last season?

Absolutely and that's what I'm hoping for.

Yep, it is negativity but that's just what I'm thinking at the moment.

Absolutely and that's what I'm hoping for.

Yep, it is negativity but that's just what I'm thinking at the moment.

Only 3 games in.

While I'm not overjoyed at how the last 3 matches have turned out its early days.

Stop panicking!

Edited by lancy lad