Oldham , marketing

Do Latics have any sort of plan to try and attract and more importantly keep fans ?

This year is the first time for 14 years I haven't renewed my season ticket. Yet I haven't had 1 email, letter or phonecall encouraging me to renew or advertising any deals to encourage me maybe pay monthly etc

It wouldn't take much to get a list of last years ST holders and compare it to the current ones and send out letters to the people who haven't renewed saying their support is vital etc .

I know for a fact other clubs do this. My brother lives over in Huddersfield and he was inundated with letters about Huddersfield ST s this season etc and you cant move for them advertising their deals

I know Jenny and co are making an effort with the pie and pint deals etc and they were quality deals last season. I just think the marketing out of season could be alot of stronger

Similarly I went to the US a couple of years ago to watch some ice hockey games and each club I bought tickets through sends me an automatic email for pretty much every home game advertising tickets etc. Surely it's not difficult to ask people for an email address when they buy a ticket over the phone, stick them on a mailing list and drop them an email with games, offers etc.

The club has a data base of every fan that buys a season ticket and has done since the system was updated in 2005 including addresses phone numbers and emails etc they're simply not acting on the information they have.

I too have bought RL tickets for the gay farm yo watch Saints and receive regular marketing/ticketing updates. Latics marketing plan seems to be come up with an offer then stick it on the official site, twitter and Facebook and hope for the best sometimes they'll push the boat out and it'll be on the back of the advertiser or in the chron. But what are we doing to target those lapsed ST holders and sponsors? I went in the sponsors box 5 seasons on the trot, never once have I been targeted for repeat business, last season I gave it a miss - why wasn't I targeted as a lapsed customer?

First thing i'd be doing is head hunting Bury's commercial guy, he has the right get and up go attitude. Anyone who saw Late Kick Off last season re: Bury's maychday alcohol sales, will know what I'm on about.

-

Edited by oafcprozac

Since Alan Hardy moved upstairs in the late 90s thus no longer needing his generous sales commission, our commercial and marketing side has been a shambles.

Said it before and I'll say it again, we need to get it right BEFORE the new stand is built.

-

Edited by oafcprozac

Years back I went to an England under 21 game at Ewood Park and bought the tickets over the phone from Blackburn's ticket office.

They still send me offers now because I am on the database from that sale. It's only a flyer, cannot cost that much to produce.

Posting stuff to people who have been once would cost a bloody fortune! Emails on the other hand don't, and I reckon it would pay to have someone ringing up ex customers of the box and similar offers. They are most likely used for birthdays, so call them up a month or two before and offer them a deal.

I made a suggestion last season to the club was so simple I also now working in marketing

Every person who got on a coach to liverpool last season should have been given a questionaire to fill in on their journey asking how many games they attend, why they dont go more, address details and an e-mail address to keep them updated on future offers, it wasnt done and was a missed chance there were 50 coaches of 50 on each thats 2,500 peices of infomation from people that could of been taking and logged on a database if that makes just 5 adults join at £300 a pop for a st thats £1,500 more for the club and extra bums on seats

Oh well been and gone now

The current emails we get from the club are pretty dire, just links to stuff that has been on the website recently and there appears to be no pattern when the mails come out. I've just checked and it appears that the last mail that came out was on 27th July?!?! That can't be right can it? If I was doing that job I'd send two emails a week:

Monday - Update from the Saturday game and marketing info about the Tuesday game

Thursday - Update from the Tuesday game and marketing info about the Saturday game

Then do this every week throughout the season with maybe extra ones if there is something exciting, it is hardly complex marketing theory.

I made a suggestion last season to the club was so simple I also now working in marketing

Every person who got on a coach to liverpool last season should have been given a questionaire to fill in on their journey asking how many games they attend, why they dont go more, address details and an e-mail address to keep them updated on future offers, it wasnt done and was a missed chance there were 50 coaches of 50 on each thats 2,500 peices of infomation from people that could of been taking and logged on a database if that makes just 5 adults join at £300 a pop for a st thats £1,500 more for the club and extra bums on seats

Oh well been and gone now

Even simpler than that - Win a Season Ticket/Meal Deal/Signed Shirt (anything!) draw leaflet on the way in at every home game (and/or in Oldham town centre) until January asking Name, address, phone number, email address.

The club can then target people who do actually go now and again and may come back with this seasons take on £2 entry or whatever it's going to be.

A voucher for a free pie, drink & packet of crisps in the post is exactly the kind of false economy that so many businesses do so well by praying on nowadays.

Even simpler than that - Win a Season Ticket/Meal Deal/Signed Shirt (anything!) draw leaflet on the way in at every home game (and/or in Oldham town centre) until January asking Name, address, phone number, email address.

The club can then target people who do actually go now and again and may come back with this seasons take on £2 entry or whatever it's going to be.

A voucher for a free pie, drink & packet of crisps in the post is exactly the kind of false economy that so many businesses do so well by praying on nowadays.

(yes, I do realise we would run out of pies)

I would guess it is because the club doesn't actually have a marketing department and resources are tight. Aren't those responsible for marketing part of a Commercial Department? Marketing is probably just a very small part of their overall role.

I work in marketing and come across loads of companies that could and should be doing things but usually fall short because of a lack of resource.

I would guess it is because the club doesn't actually have a marketing department and resources are tight. Aren't those responsible for marketing part of a Commercial Department? Marketing is probably just a very small part of their overall role.

I work in marketing and come across loads of companies that could and should be doing things but usually fall short because of a lack of resource.

Im guessing it is lack of resources. But surely it would only be a days work two at max to do a mailshot of all addresses Latics have on their database and send out flyers/email to them all

They are shabby indeed. The team there are on peanuts and really speaking are not experienced or qualified for the posts. Having a decent arse and being ok on the tannoy doesn't mean you can market a pro sports club. Fair play to the main two but Sean Jarvis was miles above the pair of them.

They are shabby indeed. The team there are on peanuts and really speaking are not experienced or qualified for the posts. Having a decent arse and being ok on the tannoy doesn't mean you can market a pro sports club. Fair play to the main two but Sean Jarvis was miles above the pair of them.

I think he's alright on the tannoy but hey each to his own!

Im guessing it is lack of resources. But surely it would only be a days work two at max to do a mailshot of all addresses Latics have on their database and send out flyers/email to them all

To be honest if all the email addresses were readily available and qualified it would probably only take a few hours to knock up a mailshot. In fact the whole thing is piss easy with a programme like dotmailer. The time and effort would go into the message and content of the mailers to draw people in. I would definitely start off with some kind of survey to find out why people are no longer season ticket holders and you could then target offers accordingly.

To be honest if all the email addresses were readily available and qualified it would probably only take a few hours to knock up a mailshot. In fact the whole thing is piss easy with a programme like dotmailer. The time and effort would go into the message and content of the mailers to draw people in. I would definitely start off with some kind of survey to find out why people are no longer season ticket holders and you could then target offers accordingly.

Couldn't agree more with this really isnt a hard task to do