M'Changama's fast at an end

A whole month of irresponsible nutrition. And you can't possibly starve yourself for 16 hours of the day without your energy levels being sverely affected.

I'm all for people being able to do what they want with their lives, and make whatever dietry choices they see fit. But when you are an athlete, or athleticism is a key part of your job and others are counting on you, you lose all my sympathy.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the Olympics, Muslim athletes were allowed to break their fast, why would it be any different for a professional footballer? Has he said he would be fasting? He won't be the only Muslim footballer in England and lots of Muslim footballers around the world and they won't have all been fasting during Ramadan.

During the Olympics, Muslim athletes were allowed to break their fast, why would it be any different for a professional footballer? Has he said he would be fasting? He won't be the only Muslim footballer in England and lots of Muslim footballers around the world and they won't have all been fasting during Ramadan.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/270812-ramadan-336998.aspx

I think it's a matter of personal choice whether they observe it or not, he's chosen to. I would guess that some of the 'team-building' activities that some players indulge in after the game would have more of an impact on their athleticism than fasting.

If M'Changama was one of our worst performers I could understand the point of this thread. He's probably been our best player (as mentioned though - that hasn't been difficult)

Edited by pukka

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/270812-ramadan-336998.aspx

I think it's a matter of personal choice whether they observe it or not, he's chosen to. I would guess that some of the 'team-building' activities that some players indulge in after the game would have more of an impact on their athleticism than fasting.

Fair enough- due to how bad it is I don't go on the official site so hadn't seen it.

Given the long list of Premiership footballers who are Muslims (some of whom slightly surprised me) a few of them played quite well even without taking their fasting into consideration.

His religion, his choice and as others have said he's been one of our best performers, scoring our only league goal in the process. Many athletes fast during this time as their faith is very important to them. Not being him, or an athlete myself, I'm not sure just how much he was affected though the article suggest that he felt comfortable.

Also, I'm not quite sure he was asking for your sympathy.

If M'Changama was one of our worst performers I could understand the point of this thread. He's probably been our best player (as mentioned though - that hasn't been difficult)

As I already stated, there is no way you can starve for 16 hours of the day and not be detrimentally affected energy wise, and also have it be a huge problem for your body's recovery mechanisms. I don't care to compare him with other players, least of all our own players (for obvious reasons). I am comparing him with himself.

If you go out the night before a Sunday League game and have 10 beers, have three hours sleep and eat a packet of peanuts for breakfast, you may still play a good game. You may even be man of the match. I have certainly seen it happen. Are you playing to your potential? Of course not.

I don't care to compare him with other players, least of all our own players (for obvious reasons). I am comparing him with himself.

What are your athletic credentials? Do you do anything else to your body that could be harming your own recovery? (E.g. Alcohol, fatty foods)

His religion, his choice

Except it's not all about him in this instance.

and as others have said he's been one of our best performers, scoring our only league goal in the process. Many athletes fast during this time as their faith is very important to them. Not being him, or an athlete myself, I'm not sure just how much he was affected though the article suggest that he felt comfortable.

As a personal trainer, I have refused to work with people during ramadan, simply due the uphill battle it represents. Nutrition has always been an essential component of any fitness regime. It's like if someone comes to you and says "my lifestyle has led me to put on 4 stone, but I won't change my dietry habits at all, just train me". I always liked to know that my client was 100% commited or what would be the point?

Also, I'm not quite sure he was asking for your sympathy.

Didn't say he did

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

A whole month of irresponsible nutrition. And you can't possibly starve yourself for 16 hours of the day without your energy levels being sverely affected.

I'm all for people being able to do what they want with their lives, and make whatever dietry choices they see fit. But when you are an athlete, or athleticism is a key part of your job and others are counting on you, you lose all my sympathy.

I'd suggest he couldn't give a toss about you offering your sympathy.

I didn't say he did

It's funny how you don't give a toss about a player sabotaging himself in this manner though

Well, you made a point of saying you weren't willing to offer it.

Frankly, I couldn't give a toss. The guy was still eating two substantial meals a day - so I would contest the notion that he was 'sabotaging himself'. If he was, I can't wait to see the player we'll get when he's back on the pies.

He presumably doesn't drink at all. I reckon if you got the rest of squad to quit drinking and take up fasting for Ramadan, you'd see a bigger improvement than if M'changama starting troughing through the day.

It's funny how you don't give a toss about a player sabotaging himself in this manner though

Players 'sabotage themselves' in lots of ways. Should we demand that all our players become teetotal? Should we tell Lee Croft (who has also been one of our better players) that he isn't getting anywhere near the first team until he goes to fat camp and shifts the weight? Should we ban the players from eating fast food? You've said yourself that many things can affect a player's recovery. I'd be far more concerned if the club told M'Changama he wasn't allowed to fast. It doesn't seem to have affected his fitness, and I'm sure he appreciates the club respecting his beliefs.

He presumably doesn't drink at all. I reckon if you got the rest of squad to quit drinking and take up fasting for Ramadan, you'd see a bigger improvement than if M'changama starting troughing through the day.

It's a worthy point. It just depends what the other players are up to. I am just as disapointed about the idea of players having crappy diets, irresponsible sleeping patterns and excessive amounts of alcohol. You would hope this stuff would be heavily discouraged, but maybe it's not.

I know Muslims who observe ramadan but have no problem the rest of the time drinking and/or smoking pot. This picking and choosing can largely a cultural thing with many Muslims. The "community" all do ramadan together and support each other, but they lack any conviction in their religion to take plenty of other crucial parts of their dogma seriously.

Youssef appears to take his religion seriosly though, so I would wager that he looks after himself quite well in that regard.