simpson's penalty miss

Player off form and putting himself under pressure took a penalty that he shouldn't have and missed. We got a point in an entertaining game from a team that are better than us.

from what I saw today, we may not have won and after 5 games they are higher placed than us but..........they are not better than us!

they are in better form than us......big difference

After seeing it on the FLS, that penalty was horrific. What's our record for converting pens during Dickov's management - from (my fairly sketchy) memory I'd say it's pretty crap.

Well we scored from the spot 9 times last season. I can recall Kuqi missing at home to Burton in the FA cup 1st round and at Chesterfield in the JPT 1st leg. So I'd suggest that it's your sketchy memory thats actually pretty crap :wink: Must agree though that Simpsons effort yesterday was pretty horrific

He's gone from playing a couple of cracking games in pre-season to zero out-put.

Why? Guess that's the golden question............but in those cracking games in pre-season, he was playing with Rui Miguel, and they looked to have built a really good undertanding in a very short space of time. Miguel leaves, and Robbie's form goes with him.

Strange.

There's a player in there. We've seen that there is. He's just not "on-it" right now for whatver the reason(s). Before bringing in Baxter & Derbyshire, PD didn't really have option but to continue to play Robbie; and hope he'd come good by playing through the bad patch. The difference is now we have Jose & Matt; we do have options. Will PD be brave enough to use them and drop Robbie to the bench?

We'll see tomorrow night wont we.

I don't think Dickov will have the balls to drop him, like he didn't with Tonk and then Kuqi, thus helping destroy a players confidence. This time though he does have the option but increasingly there seems to be a couple of undroppables in the side and one or two that no matter how well they do they are out the week after.

Simpson needs a goal but refuses to gamble in the box. Look at Baxter, he was only on 20 minutes and had the ball in the net twice, because he anticipated things to happen in the box.

He's got to drop to the bench but I think Dickov will hide behind the Baxter not being match-fit excuse… I'd rather have an hour or so of his movement than Simpson on the halfway line arguing with his head down. Simpson from the bench could be a real option against a tired defence if he's willing to go at teams. At the moment he doesn't merit his starting spot. Neither does the goalkeeper in my opinion, it's not only the odd mistake he's made he's looked shaky all season, was injured then pretty average in pre-season. for me Bouzanis looked better and deserved the shirt. We've two decent keepers but the starter should be in on merit. Alex needs to up his concentration levels and stop punching things away that can be caught, there was one very strange save at weekend that he just kept out that he simply could have gathered, along with other fumbles it's only a matter of time before one goes in again.

The difference is now we have Jose & Matt; we do have options. Will PD be brave enough to use them and drop Robbie to the bench?

We'll see tomorrow night wont we.

It both depends on how brave he is and also on how fit he thinks that Jose Baxter is. He's been training on his own at the gym for most of the summer. Does he have 60 minutes in him? He may want to ease him in more slowly than starting with him this tuesday.

One thing is for sure. Derbyshire, Baxter and Simpson can't all be in the same side without dropping a winger and shoving one of the latter two out wide. I can't see that happening. It is fantastic to have options all of a sudden though.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Thinking of the composure in his finish against Man City.

Cool, calm under pressure, a little bit of quality.

Thinking about the goals at Anfield and B2Net. A man for the big game.

That's Robbie Simpson.

There are many good reasons why he was the right man to take that kick. I'd love to know the reasons for his current form though. Time for some good management.

Dickov cant hide behind the fact Baxter may not be 100% because he has played Montano from day 1 who was nowhere near match fit.

Id rather have baxter for 70 mins and Robbie maybe coming on for last 20!

Correct.

Only now he's starting to get the sharpness & fitness that training & matches bring, is he starting to show his true ability.

For what it's worth, I'd play Baxter from the start tomorrow, and let him be out there until his legs fall off....at that point, bring on Simpson.

• 1 month later...