Just call me Mr Optimism.....

Now obviously I didn't go tonight, but looking on the bright side, we're unbeatean in 3 in the league!

I've a sneaky feeling we may just grab a scrappy win at Brentford, draw at home to Cov (of course...) and then spank Crewe.

I'm not normally this positive where Latics are concerned, so please bear with me, normal service will resume shortly.....

If the first 40 minutes are to be repeated throughout the entirety of any match then we will lose most matches, no doubt about that. Its capturing that attacking intent that emerged in the second half that would give us a good chance, if it was to be sustained in longer periods.

Baxter played some lovely passes, splitting the defence a couple of times. Croft troubled their left back for a spell and Montano was a threat during the whole of the second half. Derbyshire is lively and aware, although he fizzled out towards the end, his better patch was in the first half.

The issue here is that the spells we have of combinations coming together and proper innovative, attacking, threatening play are just spells. They last for 10 minutes and yet again tonight, they weren't capitalised on. Prolong these periods of the match and we will surely create goals. Also, to be invigorated, the players seem like they need to be desperate. Starting to play better when they realise that they are in need of a goal instead of starting that way is not good enough, if conceding or realising that time is running out is your filip then we're bound to lose points.

The tempo needs to be sustained and utilised properly, the attacks coming to nothing is useless. Pressure for a short amount of time won't get rewards consistently but extend that period of time throughout patches of the game then maybe multiple goals will be scored.

The last two first halfs have been very poor.

The last two second halfs have been much better.

There's a hint of competition for places. This some exciting attacking options. Wesolowski and Furman are both fit and key to winning any midfield battle.

The two players in the starting line up who concern me most are Byrne and Grounds. But they are better than, say, Tarky and Mellor. Or Black and Diamond (maybe that's not as clear cut).

So it's down to the manager to motivate them. Get them playing together. Cut out the mistakes. Get forward that little bit more. Attack the near post.

Montano and Croft are real handfuls in different ways. I'd like to see a front two of Derbyshire and Baxter. But nothing wrong with Simpson knocking on the door. Matt, not quite, but not the end of the world if he has to play.

There's enough in this squad to shove us much further up the league.

Edited by opinions4u

The last two first halfs have been very poor.

The last two second halfs have been much better.

There's a hint of competition for places. This some exciting attacking options. Wesolowski and Furman are both fit and key to winning any midfield battle.

The two players in the starting line up who concern me most are Byrne and Grounds. But they are better than, say, Tarky and Mellor. Or Black and Diamond (maybe that's not as clear cut).

So it's down to the manager to motivate them. Get them playing together. Cut out the mistakes. Get forward that little bit more. Attack the near post.

Montano and Croft are real handfuls in different ways. I'd like to see a front two of Derbyshire and Baxter. But nothing wrong with Simpson knocking on the door. Matt, not quite, but not the end of the world if he has to play.

Out of interest do you think the 1st half of matches will improve when Baxter is fit enough to start?

There was enough there even before Saturday for us to have more points on the board.. Don't think Dickov's lasting the season and just feel we may as well get someone is as soon as, giving them the change to make headway with a half decent 14 or 15 players

If the first 40 minutes are to be repeated throughout the entirety of any match then we will lose most matches, no doubt about that. Its capturing that attacking intent that emerged in the second half that would give us a good chance, if it was to be sustained in longer periods.

Baxter played some lovely passes, splitting the defence a couple of times. Croft troubled their left back for a spell and Montano was a threat during the whole of the second half. Derbyshire is lively and aware, although he fizzled out towards the end, his better patch was in the first half.

The issue here is that the spells we have of combinations coming together and proper innovative, attacking, threatening play are just spells. They last for 10 minutes and yet again tonight, they weren't capitalised on. Prolong these periods of the match and we will surely create goals. Also, to be invigorated, the players seem like they need to be desperate. Starting to play better when they realise that they are in need of a goal instead of starting that way is not good enough, if conceding or realising that time is running out is your filip then we're bound to lose points.

The tempo needs to be sustained and utilised properly, the attacks coming to nothing is useless. Pressure for a short amount of time won't get rewards consistently but extend that period of time throughout patches of the game then maybe multiple goals will be scored.

Nail on the head there

The last two second half displays have been very watchable and show that there's a combination of players amongst the squad that could click very nicely together. However, though in their own ways Derbyshire and Baxter are exciting players, I'm not convinced that they'd make an effective pairing. With Croft & Montano we will obviously be looking to get crosses in and I don't see Derbyshire being as effective as a target man for those type of crosses or the 'out' ball from defence (something which an in-form Simpson excels in).

I can only comment on what I read on here and the OS as I've only been able to get to one game this season (which we won!)

But it appears that the funny thing is, all the complaints once centred around what PD's half time team talk must have been because after a decent first half, the second half was crap. Now, apparently, after we've had two rubbish first halves, his team talk must be doing some good, because the second half improvement is pretty much agreed.

Just need to stick the two together and we might be going somewhere.

Roll on Brentford.

Tactics first half simply did not work. The 4 4 2 was wrong because the middle four is concave with Wes and Furman in front of the back 4. Our wings were easily marked out of the game and although Matt wins the ball he only once passed it to his own side. There was a big hole which is where Simpson should be. Second half was much better with Simpson and Baxter because everything was joined up. Another two points lost and still on course after six games for relegation.

Tactics first half simply did not work. The 4 4 2 was wrong because the middle four is concave with Wes and Furman in front of the back 4. Our wings were easily marked out of the game and although Matt wins the ball he only once passed it to his own side. There was a big hole which is where Simpson should be. Second half was much better with Simpson and Baxter because everything was joined up. Another two points lost and still on course after six games for relegation.

....and there's another example of the game we all love being one of differing opinions.

I didn't think we were too bad 1st half, not great; don't get me wrong, but not bad. Scunthorpe set off like a house on fire; and through 2 very good league one players in Newey and Ryan; they created lots down their left / our right. But, when we got it down, we looked good. I actually liked the 4-4-2.

I thought it meant we were less isolated up top, and as a pair; Derbyshire & Smith worked their defence well. I felt Wes had a good half too; Furman not so much.

The switch was good to see though, as it showed PD is willing to change it up. Don't forget we got our goal playing the 4-4-2 formation.

PD's subs were also a sign he's learning. He changed mid game, and it wasn't a like a like change, it was a formation, shape & tactics change.

another way of looking at it is that if we continue the unbeaten run, we're on course for a decent season of progress. I guess it depends how full you think the glass is doesn't it?

It's ok Wes and Furman winning a midfield battle but when a team gets it down like Scunny did they go through us like a knife through butter, retreating into their own half thus exacerbating the situation - one has to make breaks instead they both fanny about playing the ball back and a wayward back pass nearly cost us yet again after HT

-

It's ok Wes and Furman winning a midfield battle but when a team gets it down like Scunny did they go through us like a knife through butter, retreating into their own half thus exacerbating the situation - one has to make breaks instead they both fanny about playing the ball back and a wayward back pass nearly cost us yet again after HT

-

Furman gave the ball away a lot last night under pressure, this is Division One, he needs to wake up from the dreamland of Brazil and get back to the nitty gritty.

Edited by BP1960