F.a.o. Simon Corney re Jose Baxter.

Please push the boat out to sign this lad up long term asap, forget the current 4 month deal, think, weve got to speculate to accumalate, Jose Baxter has the football brain, and natural talent the majority of players at our level can only dream about. I think in the coming months, he could attract a lot of attention from the scouting fraternity, especially once he gets a prolonged run of games under his belt and his general fitness, and match sharpness improves. Does anybody else see the potential for a big, investment profit on him, say in a year or two ???

Please push the boat out to sign this lad up long term asap, forget the current 4 month deal, think, weve got to speculate to accumalate, Jose Baxter has the football brain, and natural talent the majority of players at our level can only dream about. I think in the coming months, he could attract a lot of attention from the scouting fraternity, especially once he gets a prolonged run of games under his belt and his general fitness, and match sharpness improves. Does anybody else see the potential for a big, investment profit on him, say in a year or two ???

Totally agree however I'm sure corney and dickov can see what we can. It boils down to can we afford much longer than we currently are?

Exactly this. Think of Wellens and the money he commanded after he left Latics. Baxter I'd wager is exactly the same, hopefully this time Latics will reap the benefit at Evertons expense rather than in the Wellens case our expense. I've really no firm nailed on knowledge other than hear say that Wellens could have been re-signed for a 50K signing on fee. Donny paid it and made a million in the Transfer.

Maybe - but perhaps he wants to keep his options open

I think it's fair to say we're probably exploiting his talent on the cheap and he's using us to get something better.

Mutually agreeable.

Agree with the sentiments though. Time for more people to join PlayerShare and use Playershare Webshop when shopping online.

Then, perhaps, a deal can be struck in January that works even better for all concerned.

Edited by opinions4u

Maybe - but perhaps he wants to keep his options open

He may well do Dave, but strike whilst the iron is hot, Latics have given him the chance of fotball which he craved. Together with an assurance that any serious interest from higher teams will be courted. Sign him 3 years minimum.

He may well do Dave, but strike whilst the iron is hot, Latics have given him the chance of fotball which he craved. Together with an assurance that any serious interest from higher teams will be courted. Sign him 3 years minimum.

Its never as simple as that, his agent will be touting him around.

Is was a deliberate 4 months so he is free in the Jan tansfer window.

I highly doubt he will be here after Jan.

Its never as simple as that, his agent will be touting him around.

Is was a deliberate 4 months so he is free in the Jan tansfer window.

I highly doubt he will be here after Jan.

That shouldn't stop us trying hard to pulling this out of the bag. The bigger picture is what the lad could or probably would be worth. Not with standing what he could do for us on the pitch in the meantime. If he had loads of options proir to signing here why choose to trial at Latics before any sort of deal? No, strike whilst the iron is hot I say.

Hasn't he already intimated that he would like to sign for longer?

I have little doubt that if a deal can be struck, it will be.

Footballers do tend to say the right thing at times but yes he did say he would be interested in his LW interview.

While we're asking to keep hold of players - any chance of extending the loans of Derbyshire and Wabara?

Without wanting to curse him, I can see Derbyshire building up a nice little scoring total here and Wabara's been superb - Man of the Match last night, I reckon..

While we're asking to keep hold of players - any chance of extending the loans of Derbyshire and Wabara?

Without wanting to curse him, I can see Derbyshire building up a nice little scoring total here and Wabara's been superb - Man of the Match last night, I reckon..

Agreed, with the exception that I thought Montano was MOM. Derbyshire had the measure of their centre back last night for skill and for pace.

Think there is a good chance of extending the deals to their current maximum length. For Derbyshire that would include the game on the 15th December (Swindon at home). For Wabara that would include the Boxing Day game (Donny at home). After that we will then have to apply for a loan deal until the end of the season in January.

Given Derbyshire is supposed to be on £16k pw I doubt we can afford him for the longer loan deal in Jan as Forest will want us to pay a larger contribution to his wages. Wabara on the other hand is a definite possibility as he is likely to play in all the games he is available for with us, something that he needs. So unless clubs who can pay more of his salary want him and he will play games there I can see City letting us keep him.

Wabara on the other hand is a definite possibility as he is likely to play in all the games he is available for with us, something that he needs. So unless clubs who can pay mor of his salary want him and he will play games there I can see City letting us keep him.

With Wabara I'd worry that City might feel he was ready to go up a level for the second half of the season for his development, like Chelsea did with Bertrand

Wabara was MOTM for me last night, though all players involved were excellent. Hopefully we can keep him until the end of the season - PD seems to have good contacts with City who'll be glad he's playing regular football. That being said, I think he's good enough for the Championship already.

Back on topic, yes we should be pulling out all the stops to sign Baxter, its clear he's a quality player. There'll certainly be interest from bigger clubs than us in January if he's a free agent then. If last night was a one-off and we're still close to the bottom 4 at Christmas, I can see him moving on (and wouldn't blame him). If, however, we manage to turn things around and are higher up the league then who knows, that might be enough of an incentive for him to stay.

As others have suggested, I'd try and sign him up with the suggestion that if a bigger club comes in for him, we won't stand in his way (though we'll have a huge minimum fee release clause!!!).

Edited by bossrocks